• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MOBILE INSTALL: 579 Peterbilt

Slow, I think the roadking shoes in the mix would be a better fit with a Telex Turner version if you could find one. In my opinion the telex version rk56 sounds amazing on just about any radio. The newer or you could say current version has less gain and the clarity is nowhere near that of the Telex or even the ones further back than that one. I think it would be a more fair playing field.

Those real rk56 mics go for good chunk of change these days. If they're ever on eBay for a decent price they're a good grab.

It's just finding a virgin one that hasn't had the golden screwdriver butchering the insides of it

I have that hope also (on obtaining an older RK56 with higher performance), but for now I’ll obtain at least (2) more Astatic 636L microphones as the default upgrade to a factory-supplied mic packaged with a radio.

They all of them “worked” such that audio clarity differences were easy to distinguish. None was exactly a bad choice, but for mobile use in the big truck with both a modern digital Uniden 980 and an older type Galaxy 86v, the 636 is the keeper.

Granted that I’ve not offered the reader an audio/video. (No facility for such). It wasn’t close between selections. Between the ones rejected; maybe so. Between them and the finalists, no.

Between the 56 & 636, the audio clarity wasn’t “marginal”.

Both will get you heard. But the guy at the other end is going to turn up his rig to listen, and while he can “hear you” when you’re on the 56 he won’t hear you as far. Heard voice, but not actual words.

I came south on IH35 thru OKC the other morning. Picked up my favorite base operator N of Guthrie near the 155-MM. Recognized his voice, but not until I was nearer his central OKC location did the words become clear. (I can “hear” him 40-miles running W-E on IH-40, and nearly 50-miles running N-S on IH35; 20-25 miles out from the IH35/IH40 junction).

In a compass-point radius circle from his location it’s 20-miles plus that he can be heard reliably on a fleet tractor mobile (with word clarity faltering the last miles). At 12-15/miles out, the limit is your rig in a conversation. I’m at about 7-8/miles we can talk. (At 65-mph he’s inside my range about 12-minutes).

Had a stock Galaxy mike on the U980 that morning. I now “know” my last TX would have been farther S had I used the 636 (not on board). (My last TX got no response). My range out ahead is greater than that from behind (53’ dry van); speaking with someone “behind” me is shorter to REAL short depending on whether he’s driving that way or is stationary.

The range of perception is going to be farther via audio clarity. Would have taken a huge jump in power to overcome that (badly inefficient route).

Last edited:
Reactions: Eldorado828
DD52ED13-0071-4EBD-B97D-90D2C8C7B810.jpeg
Time killer

Latest iteration. Back to how I ran it this summer except bandpass after tuner and using A636L mic. 86v back in rack. 945e Velcro’d and zip tied again.

Stuck waiting outside Houston all day waiting for a trailer to be loaded. (Shipper on time, I’m early).

Cleaned up the mess of cables was the time-killer.

I shortened all the DC lines awhile back, but it’s time to move DSP speaker back to over left shoulder as I occasionally have to re-focus attention to hear what’s being said.

May have to get a second audio cable (can’t remember if it reaches as this under-console stack is a longer run than when I had the overhead stuffed).

(And, yeah, I flipped the 10-kHz switch back down).

Have the new 12V Distribution box waiting for me to affix 75A PowerPole terminations after buying more 6-AWG. Will try the closer under steering column fuse box feeds to shorten the circuit.

Surprised I couldn’t find a decent 12V Ground in the overhead. Could have sworn that steel was welded.

At any rate, the near 36’ circuit should come down closer to 20’.

Engine & APU “off” I’m around (1) S-unit after setting RF/Squelch on another channel. At a quarter-turn each from Max. A fair amount of power lines around me (at a factory).

MeanGreen, 88, BlackGhost and some others were their usual (sorta) entertaining selves last night as I was unloading on a street downtown. Blank out AM-19 like no one else wants to use it.

Earlier I was picking up T-Bone parked at MM64 when I was at MM88 (no surprise) as I got to town around 1600 yesterday.

Last edited:
(Put the tuner away yesterday).

For comparative purposes (for other truck drivers):

Sitting at a “typical” suburban truck stop (outskirts of a metro area) with RF Gain/Squelch wide open, am seeing 3 S-units “noise” on AM-19 with ANL/NB “off” on a Galaxy 86v.

— Main & Auxiliary truck engines are turned off.
— Sunrise is a few hours ahead.

The APU will kick it up to 4.
The APU + Microwave will kick it to 7.

Once rolling (and, past sunrise), driving into that metro area will show 5-7 S-Units “noise” for a typical weekday morning. This will be the constant.

“Noise” will peak in early afternoon.

— ANL cut in and both RF GAIN/SQUELCH adjusted on a nearby channel, (RF Gain taken down 1-3 S-Units shown; Squelch to a 1/8 above silence), is about as “quiet” as I can make it without losing all but the faintest TX. S-Units are almost meaningless. Less correlation to signal capture as perceived.

Mid-day from past noon till 1.5/hrs before sunset is “noisiest”. This is wherever I happen to be.

Inside a metro area (40-miles from major city center) is ALSO “noisiest”.

The combination is what turns off those most interested in mobile 11-Meter.

This is where active & passive noise abatement pays for itself. The stress on a driver has also peaked, no matter what time his day has started. (At 1600, I may be past Mile 500 in my day).

Worst noise, worst stress, and least patience with either.

As much fun as it is to have Xtra Super Long Range Hearing in the dark and/or away from a city, it’s those last hours before shutdown that the quality of decision-making via best RX/TX matters.

For non-drivers, understand that most truck stop and rest area overnight parking fills up by between 1600-1800 depending on how far East one is located.

At 1900, inside or adjacent to any City Mega Region (see that map), parking has become a throw of the dice. Odds against you.

Thus any road-related hazard that worsens average speed shortens the days clock against possible miles.

The direct assault against mid-day radio “noise” is to push the unintelligible portion down to its minimum. IOW, I may have 1,2,3-hours of being almost deaf in terms of LONG distance RX.

The radio system as delivered from the factory (just install your radio) spends nearly ALL daylight hours in near-deafness.

Tallest antennas (to 14’ clearance) is the first improvement. Second is in treating all devices and lines to ferrite noise-control. Third is DSP noise attenuation before the speaker output.

WHAT radio installed is least important. (Details apply to each point to ensure quality performance).

On my way into town this morning (pre-dawn) I’ll be listening long range for TX regarding what locals consider to be a problem. At 0436 today, I’ve locals already at work since 0300.

Have made several replies to “radio checks” to the Interstate 3.5-miles distant at an off-angle.

Once rolling I’ll be trapped by both forward directionality and greater vehicle noise. More dependent on drivers traveling the opposite direction.

Thus far, the guys leaving the city aren’t reporting any problems to the guys on the way in (one of whom I’ll be in an hour). At about 45-miles out, that’s a good sign. No news = good news.

1). Getting mid-day noise to shortest period of “too much” sure pays in making the most of the remaining clock.

2). Pre-dawn scan at greatest range sure pays in making the most of the day (where and when to fuel, etc) to keep decision-making to its lowest quotient. Fewest decisions made on the fly = lowered stress day (energy preservation).

Last edited:
Spent a couple hours changing things. The U980 back again, and WM Speaker moved back to overhead bin above drivers door.

I had second thoughts about removing it last time. Am deeply grateful (sounds silly) I was reminded that the RF GAIN has a menu change.

The radio is much easier to control (audio quality) through a long truck-driver day.

With the speaker back in the unquestionably best position, it’s now a simpler matter of adjusting volume on it plus radio to get most signal with least noise.

Cabling cleaned up better at radio stack.

Reactions: Handy Andy
KInd'a wondering if the Galaxy "deafness" is related more to ambient air noise that a re-tweak of the "Quadrature" RF Amp input coil can tune much of it out.

So when you switch to the 980 - you have a different level of headaches...

Back to your Galaxy...

To help you know where I stand in this, those Galaxy Radios are an older Analog design that UNIDEN needs to realize - IS VERY EFFECTIVE.

Uniden didn't keep this in their later platforms. They went with a Pre-set level - just that their effort in "Gain stage" CPU-controller RF Gain - is not the same as what they did in their Pro-640, Pro-540e SERIES of radios (READ THIS AS: A long time Ago,,, In A Factory Far-Far Away.) that had a "pre-determined" RF Gain "button" that was analog - read this as: discrete based - design that works in noisy environments.
  • - their digital version albeit adjustable, offers little compensation for the analog conversion using their digital level controls. The results are simply a "Mushed down" receive you still have to pull out the signal using your ears and whatever else you can place in-between to help pull it out.
  • This is simply due to their; too much, too little, for too late - approach to their level selector. The attenuation effect is AFTER the signal you're trying to get out of all that noise, is already processed, so you just hear that noise as part of a dynamic range response versus analog reduction effect of proximity to your local signal - the Signal level versus the ambient your having around you - two different beasts.
  • It's why I've liked the more adjustable RF gain as an Analog variable approach, for then your radio is seeing the noise and signal - but your system sees this as a proximity - so the "field strength" of the signal close to you, is working both the ground wave and sky wave, while the noise level being what it is, is ambient ground noise and sky noise COMBINED, but your RF gain control and Antenna - work more for the properly polarized NEARFIELD the local station is.
The problem lies in where you sit your listening frequency to, inside the radio. For if the radio has it's way, it'll amplify everything and that GOSH DARN "Twin-FET" IF amp (Galaxy) - splitter that is part of the 1st conversion - takes in not just what you're listening for, but just about everybody else and their brother along with it.
  • Twin FET is a similar effect, but then you have the RF amps own broad banded band pass that - it too, takes in that same signal, yet you can hear it - even with the RF gain variable as it is.
  • It's Analog design does break out the signal from that noise - the Twin FET tends to then CRUSH that captured signal back into the noise level and you hear a compressed - condensed Reader-Digest version of the Receive that any Cobra 29 or even the PC-33 can pull out better.
    • Why? the FETs aren't linear, they're too good at switches, they're not made for Linear which the older discrete's excel over.
If you're working in the "oddballs", the effort of what that "L6" does makes you hear more out - side of the bandplan you normally operate in, so you'll get that ambient noise inclusive.

But if you need the bandwidth to listen elsewhere for your "Let's go Upstairs" or "I'll See You In The Basement" moments for chats, then that L6 actually WORKS AGAINST you

But otherwise, you've made great progress, just sad to see your struggle with this newer technology platform they call vehicles, are making you work so much harder at trying - getting, some form of enjoyment out of that station

Reactions: Slowmover
KInd'a wondering if the Galaxy "deafness" is related more to ambient air noise that a re-tweak of the "Quadrature" RF Amp input coil can tune much of it out.

So when you switch to the 980 - you have a different level of headaches...

Back to your Galaxy...

To help you know where I stand in this, those Galaxy Radios are an older Analog design that UNIDEN needs to realize - IS VERY EFFECTIVE.

Uniden didn't keep this in their later platforms. They went with a Pre-set level - just that their effort in "Gain stage" CPU-controller RF Gain - is not the same as what they did in their Pro-640, Pro-540e SERIES of radios (READ THIS AS: A long time Ago,,, In A Factory Far-Far Away.) that had a "pre-determined" RF Gain "button" that was analog - read this as: discrete based - design that works in noisy environments.
  • - their digital version albeit adjustable, offers little compensation for the analog conversion using their digital level controls. The results are simply a "Mushed down" receive you still have to pull out the signal using your ears and whatever else you can place in-between to help pull it out.
  • This is simply due to their; too much, too little, for too late - approach to their level selector. The attenuation effect is AFTER the signal you're trying to get out of all that noise, is already processed, so you just hear that noise as part of a dynamic range response versus analog reduction effect of proximity to your local signal - the Signal level versus the ambient your having around you - two different beasts.
  • It's why I've liked the more adjustable RF gain as an Analog variable approach, for then your radio is seeing the noise and signal - but your system sees this as a proximity - so the "field strength" of the signal close to you, is working both the ground wave and sky wave, while the noise level being what it is, is ambient ground noise and sky noise COMBINED, but your RF gain control and Antenna - work more for the properly polarized NEARFIELD the local station is.
The problem lies in where you sit your listening frequency to, inside the radio. For if the radio has it's way, it'll amplify everything and that GOSH DARN "Twin-FET" IF amp (Galaxy) - splitter that is part of the 1st conversion - takes in not just what you're listening for, but just about everybody else and their brother along with it.
  • Twin FET is a similar effect, but then you have the RF amps own broad banded band pass that - it too, takes in that same signal, yet you can hear it - even with the RF gain variable as it is.
  • It's Analog design does break out the signal from that noise - the Twin FET tends to then CRUSH that captured signal back into the noise level and you hear a compressed - condensed Reader-Digest version of the Receive that any Cobra 29 or even the PC-33 can pull out better.
    • Why? the FETs aren't linear, they're too good at switches, they're not made for Linear which the older discrete's excel over.
If you're working in the "oddballs", the effort of what that "L6" does makes you hear more out - side of the bandplan you normally operate in, so you'll get that ambient noise inclusive.

But if you need the bandwidth to listen elsewhere for your "Let's go Upstairs" or "I'll See You In The Basement" moments for chats, then that L6 actually WORKS AGAINST you

But otherwise, you've made great progress, just sad to see your struggle with this newer technology platform they call vehicles, are making you work so much harder at trying - getting, some form of enjoyment out of that station

Andy, thanks for the lesson!

The 86v and 99f2 ought to hit the bench. Gone thru. Insurance if nothing else.

I’m overall pleased at the noise reduction from the starting point any driver would have in a new truck. Plug in newish stock radio to binding posts & coax & teeny dash speaker, etc.

The WM Speaker, heavier coax with toroids wound in, clean power from battery, Wilson 2000’ at 5’ versus 3.5 Fiberglas whips, and ferrites growing on everything like Spanish Moss . . . the upfront expense of that (all at once) would hurt any drivers wallet as it’s over $500. Then the radio + microphone.

But these purchases were over several years. So it hurts “less”.

Any CB/Export I own now sounds “good” (before the tech difference discussion as above where it may apply). It’s GREAT compared to that other driver (as above).

$400 I’ll spend for a Lincoln 2 from Bells maybe (mic and a few mods). I’m not feeling motivated to spend the same amount on the 148 GTL Cobras LESSCOMM said he found back in the warehouse (22-years old? 15?)

Someone could make the case for the 148 and I might go for it. In my pickup (radio case size).

The 29/980 is about as big as I can get away with. The smaller McKinley would mean I could fab an even smaller rack mount.

Audio performance (quality) I have to live with. I can hear them or I can’t. (If you felt one of those $380 148-GTL is “worthwhile”, I’d listen).

Let’s say I’m proud to plug in any radio unit at this point. I know it’ll sound good. Pulling those last signals out may be possible . . , but my antenna system may not be capable.

I’m not done with the systems (antenna and power), but if I never changed a thing again, I’m far ahead of where I started.

Thx again.

Slowmover, have you ever considered trying an Anytone 6666? No need for tech conversion, done with a couple of buttons. Nice price on them online. Would have to leave the 203 in the backup bin, but a real nice sized unit!

Andy, thanks for the lesson!

The 86v and 99f2 ought to hit the bench. Gone thru. Insurance if nothing else.

I’m overall pleased at the noise reduction from the starting point any driver would have in a new truck. Plug in newish stock radio to binding posts & coax & teeny dash speaker, etc.

The WM Speaker, heavier coax with toroids wound in, clean power from battery, Wilson 2000’ at 5’ versus 3.5 Fiberglas whips, and ferrites growing on everything like Spanish Moss . . . the upfront expense of that (all at once) would hurt any drivers wallet as it’s over $500. Then the radio + microphone.

But these purchases were over several years. So it hurts “less”.

Any CB/Export I own now sounds “good” (before the tech difference discussion as above where it may apply). It’s GREAT compared to that other driver (as above).

$400 I’ll spend for a Lincoln 2 from Bells maybe (mic and a few mods). I’m not feeling motivated to spend the same amount on the 148 GTL Cobras LESSCOMM said he found back in the warehouse (22-years old? 15?)

Someone could make the case for the 148 and I might go for it. In my pickup (radio case size).

The 29/980 is about as big as I can get away with. The smaller McKinley would mean I could fab an even smaller rack mount.

Audio performance (quality) I have to live with. I can hear them or I can’t. (If you felt one of those $380 148-GTL is “worthwhile”, I’d listen).

Let’s say I’m proud to plug in any radio unit at this point. I know it’ll sound good. Pulling those last signals out may be possible . . , but my antenna system may not be capable.

I’m not done with the systems (antenna and power), but if I never changed a thing again, I’m far ahead of where I started.

Thx again.

Slow, you're paving the way for many of us drivers who are following your discoveries. Soon as time lets me I'll be trying some of your recommendations but for the time being I've got to make some money while it'sthe to make. Lord knows what will happen after January.....

Being pretty limited on radio size hopefully that President will behave better in that Pete. The smaller footprint can sure be appreciated.

Talk about noise, the 29 in my experience beats anything I've ever owned in the noise department, can't wait to swap it out....

Slow, you're paving the way for many of us drivers who are following your discoveries. Soon as time lets me I'll be trying some of your recommendations but for the time being I've got to make some money while it'sthe to make. Lord knows what will happen after January.....

Being pretty limited on radio size hopefully that President will behave better in that Pete. The smaller footprint can sure be appreciated.

Talk about noise, the 29 in my experience beats anything I've ever owned in the noise department, can't wait to swap it out....

I look forward to the day we can compare notes at one of the Amarillo truck-stops.

They don’t send me that way very often, so I’ll have to put that bug in the dispatchers ear. It’d be VERY GOOD to have someone with your experience have a look and a listen to what I’m trying to get done.

SSB is the test. I’ll live with what Is “best” on AM if I can get the most out of the stock antenna locations in the hope I can talk Sideband more than once in a great while.

I’m almost always on AM. So AM Skip is a goal as well.

I figure that — aside from power — that I’ll have done as much as I can with a pair of Wilson 2000’s with what another graybeard thinks of it.

Thanks

Slowmover, have you ever considered trying an Anytone 6666? No need for tech conversion, done with a couple of buttons. Nice price on them online. Would have to leave the 203 in the backup bin, but a real nice sized unit!

I’ve come and gone on it. The price will very likely get me to try it. No reason it can’t be Radio #1 or Radio #2 here in the Pete.

I tend to assemble pieces and then forget to connect them. My thread RADIO TRANSPORT CASE came to mind as I read your post and it reminded me that’s it’s safe, it’s easy, and it’s convenient to swap gear in and out of the truck with no fears of damage. Installed, or riding along.

Thanks.

Ignored my own guidelines.

Left town with one but one radio, and then the mic adaptor failed (4-pin to Uniden 6-pin) so the U980 needs specific-type gear included. Stock mic and/or TWO mic adaptors.

At the IH20 PETRO X409 just west of FTW:

Roadmaster CB Shop
Weatherford, TX

(Jeremy)
0900-1800

Effected the adaptor repair, and re-terminated a new A-636L mic now dedicated to this U-980.

With the KL203 “on” a couple of guys on the highway replied to me. One, that Mic Gain all the way up (Level 4) was best. And, two (other driver) commented, “now that’s a talking radio”.

A trip with Ears but no Voice doesn’t mean turn it off . . . just spend more time listening for what you need to hear. Some bad weather — 70/mph gusts one day, snow & ice another — patience and use of the NWS filled out the picture.

A trip with Ears but no Voice doesn’t mean turn it off . . . just spend more time listening for what you need to hear. Some bad weather — 70/mph gusts one day, snow & ice another — patience and use of the NWS filled out the picture.

I've had that experience in more than one trip thru - so to have the ingenuity and resources to make your "connecting flight" work is good conscience.

Sorry to see you left with one radio - do not fret, many of us have had the very same thing. So to keep a spare mic or handset and to use a radio "Brand style" that the mic can fit across the different breeds of Radios they make - helps with the swap - as you already experienced - as, and is, sound (SIC) Advice indeed.

I've also found that by being more in "monitor" mode - I learn more about the local flavor and how the most vocal of the locals, tend to take to strangers, drivers, traffic driving thru, whether they're handling a "10-36" onto a "local info". Their responses to their "irritants" - can help you interpret your next move when it comes to dealing with locals.

You may already know it, but the post does need to be said - to there...I've said it...

Glad to know though, you're still operational. Not unlike many others that just "let it die" and stick to their phones with the GPS built in.

I've had that experience in more than one trip thru - so to have the ingenuity and resources to make your "connecting flight" work is good conscience.

Sorry to see you left with one radio - do not fret, many of us have had the very same thing. So to keep a spare mic or handset and to use a radio "Brand style" that the mic can fit across the different breeds of Radios they make - helps with the swap - as you already experienced - as, and is, sound (SIC) Advice indeed.

I've also found that by being more in "monitor" mode - I learn more about the local flavor and how the most vocal of the locals, tend to take to strangers, drivers, traffic driving thru, whether they're handling a "10-36" onto a "local info". Their responses to their "irritants" - can help you interpret your next move when it comes to dealing with locals.

You may already know it, but the post does need to be said - to there...I've said it...

Glad to know though, you're still operational. Not unlike many others that just "let it die" and stick to their phones with the GPS built in.

Well said, HA, the tool is far more than an assemblage of components as listening is itself a skill.

I didn’t slide off into a ditch on a deserted road. Happily, there wasn’t also an instance where I saw a hazard of which I couldn’t warn others.

There was a few times I might have joined into a conversation, so it kinda came down to not being able to reply to a passing driver asking for info. As the roads I rode were major thoroughfares, that responsibility didn’t fall on me alone.

OTOH, a tendency to be an ass was also relieved from being aired.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated