• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

(Mobile) Lincoln II +

Started a new job and am now in a Kenworth T-680.

Grabbed the 7’ Skipshooters and this radio as first rig prior to new coax plus power, etc. Almost two weeks and 6k miles thus far.

Today am awaiting some hurricane weather in SE North Carolina as customers order delayed ship until tomorrow. Don’t expect problems (Elsa) until I turn on IH95S to catch IH20W back to Fort Worth.

Truck has 370k so I’ve prioritized the work other drivers ignore and trucking companies ignore unless motivated.

So, since I’m stuck on a 34-reset in Nowheresville, time to go back over the PRESIDENT Lincoln II. Get out the owners manual. Get SWR lowest.

— Removed Hustler QD on each antenna as haven’t used. Across all 40 the radio shows 1.0:1 SWR afterwards.

— On AM, the ASC Function is a disappointment. Might “open” in the middle of a snatch of words. I don’t know if this is adjustable by factory service, but I’d consider it.

— Given the heavy amount of Skip on AM the past couple of weeks (beginning of July), it’s not been at all east to find a good combination of RF Gain + Squelch. ASC doesn’t offer a solution.

Today I’ve tried LSB for the first time and it’s been much easier to set controls for listen-ability. 38 or 28 or 20.

Some a’y’all work so hard “CQ CQ” it makes me tired.

Squelch: 8
RFG: 3/4-open

Found that wrapping the OEM power cord in a loop around palm (size) and put thru a HUGE Mix31 snap toroid very nearly eliminated truck noise (no APU, bunk heater or inverter). No difference now key on or off. “Run”, it’s harder to tell, but very little.

And — didn’t think I would — am happy to change channels on the mic. With mic on KW hanger it’s secure to reach it to go up or down.

Last edited:
Figured I’d have this radio put away (again) after limited big truck use. But the Galaxy was going in its place not performing acceptably.

So, have the LIBERTY Wireless Microphone on the charger tonight as it’s time I tested it.

See if this whole VOX thing is as much fun to rile up drivers with as a Wodger Bip.

Has anyone used the Uniden BC906W Wireless while going down the highway? Window open? Coffee slurps? Lower torso percussive notes?

Used mine (V3 not + version) in the mobile for quite a while. Worked excellent, I turned it down and ran it with a 2 pill and also with a KL203 at one point. The stock mic was really noisy on the road in my rig so I went with the Road Devil and got really good results and that's why I recommend it for mobile for the noise cancelling. The stock mic can sound really good with that radio but the Road Devil has a little fuller sound to it, not really louder than the stock mic maybe a tad.

Didn't like the wireless mic audio with it compared to the stock mic or Road Devil.

Internal speaker isn't particularly loud - I found I was cranking the volume too high to hear it in my noisy environment so I went with an external speaker. ANL NB work ok for RX noise but I turn down the RF gain slightly as the RX static can be a bit noisy on these, but they receive really well even with the RF gain down slightly.

Did you turn the power down with the RF power knob or did you go inside and turn it down? Wondering if a KL203 is going to cause problems with a Lincoln II+. My meter is showing just below a 2 watt carrier and 18 watts PEP with the knob turned lowest. I am assuming RM Italy is stating RMS power for AM on their technical bulletin. Thanks for any help.

Reactions: Slowmover
I got a Lincoln +2 v3 and overall was happy with it. The receive was nearly as good as my Yaesu 840, but my biggest complaint is it picked up a ton of bleedover from strong stations on adjacent channels.

I’m limited to CB/Export in experience. Bleedover with the thread subject radio does occur, but not as badly as some exports.

A couple of times I’ve mistakenly wondered why reception sucks, and then realize I’m on FM or Sideband, ha!

In its defense, I blame the idiots and their splatterboxes! Cleaner is Meaner among them.

Reactions: Woody-202
Did you turn the power down with the RF power knob or did you go inside and turn it down? Wondering if a KL203 is going to cause problems with a Lincoln II+. My meter is showing just below a 2 watt carrier and 18 watts PEP with the knob turned lowest. I am assuming RM Italy is stating RMS power for AM on their technical bulletin. Thanks for any help.

I tried it in 579 Peterbilt. It wasn’t a happy home for this radio (poor antenna system). Radio backed off output per radio meter on key-up with KL-203.

About to try it again in t680 Kenworth with 7’ Skipshooter Cophase pair and all new Mini-8 coax. (RF Bonds starting to get done).

Your numbers are what I’ve seen as to DK.

It’s not been my plan to keep this radio in the KW. I’d rather have a 949 or 979 Galaxy (single final AM/SSB). Could make a large-case 959 work if I came across one.

Frankly, this radio can do more than a company-spec big truck can deliver for antenna performance. Belongs in my pickup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eldorado828
More truck driver

The different tractor I’m in (newer posts above) has proven amenable to better noise abatement than the one where I started the thread (T680 vs 579).

Have switched back and forth the past two weeks between the DX-959b and the DX-99v2. (Not a great difference in RX, but the former is preferred overall).

Have reached a point where faintest signals are coming in cleanly. (Haven’t re-done entire installation as per the T680 thread). So the volume knob winds up in constant use (and I’m usually not fast enough).
The Lincoln rendered all at the same “level”, so to speak.

— Changed away from it in big truck as:

1). either Galaxy is easier to live with all day (no need to LOOK at unit).

2). The G pair are “quieter” (subjective).

3). Audio cues as to the distance away of RX was the deciding factor (on AM-19 near exclusively) as roads other than the one I’m on may be generating reports which amplify blood pressure until sorted.

— So the irony of chasing quietest environment for radio to work within is highlighting the virtue of all signals rendered at same level (approx).

Spent last night near a scale house where plenty of inquiries come from both directions (and replies the same) bringing dilemma to surface.

Guess I’m gonna have to stop at house to grab the Lincoln again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.