• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

(Mobile) Lincoln II +

Andy touched base about this before. Why does my linc 2 plus bump down a channel on key up .some days are bad worse when cold. As I key up more and talk it acts right . ???? Not sure if it does it with stock mic.

Reactions: Slowmover
Andy touched base about this before. Why does my linc 2 plus bump down a channel on key up .some days are bad worse when cold. As I key up more and talk it acts right . ???? Not sure if it does it with stock mic.

Doesn't happen with the stock mic. It happened with both aftermarket microphones I put on there. I thought maybe I wired something incorrectly and checked it multiple times but it's something funky with the Lincoln mic wiring. Stock microphone - never had it happen on my Lincoln or McKinley but it has happened on both with aftermarket microphones. This eventually led me back to the stock microphone which I found after testing is the best microphone for both radios, just wish it had better noise cancelling as it picks up a lot of road noise in my loud rig. The RD104 did really good at cancelling noise and sounded almost as good as the stock microphone.

Doesn't happen with the stock mic. It happened with both aftermarket microphones I put on there. I thought maybe I wired something incorrectly and checked it multiple times but it's something funky with the Lincoln mic wiring. Stock microphone - never had it happen on my Lincoln or McKinley but it has happened on both with aftermarket microphones. This eventually led me back to the stock microphone which I found after testing is the best microphone for both radios, just wish it had better noise cancelling as it picks up a lot of road noise in my loud rig. The RD104 did really good at cancelling noise and sounded almost as good as the stock microphone.
Ok wow. Really about the stock mic sound. I will say mine was loud as hell but hollow stocky sounding and picks up all my pffffts and pops and crap

I’m back to trying the A636L. Will be into heavy volume traffic tomorrow and will ask several times for reports.

Once my ears can calibrate distance it’ll help in this. This radio has been to tough to distinguish 1-3/miles from 5-7/miles per audio qualities.

Reactions: secret squirrel
Once my ears can calibrate distance it’ll help in this. This radio has been to tough to distinguish 1-3/miles from 5-7/miles per audio qualities.

This is the joy of good radio operations, install and ownership - you shouldn't have to listen to noises in distant stations - good installs allow you more range - greater enjoyment - for longer distances - which equates to the longer trips and miles spent to gather information - or just spending time enjoying a conversation - not fighting the environmental conditions or the radio just to receive road condition reports.

I hate to tell, you, but it may become more of a grey line when it comes to distances - it may make these limitations of conversation to the others as - become more of issues of the operators you work with - as you use a radio like the Lincoln - wish I still had mine.

This is the joy of good radio operations, install and ownership - you shouldn't have to listen to noises in distant stations - good installs allow you more range - greater enjoyment - for longer distances - which equates to the longer trips and miles spent to gather information - or just spending time enjoying a conversation - not fighting the environmental conditions or the radio just to receive road condition reports.

I hate to tell, you, but it may become more of a grey line when it comes to distances - it may make these limitations of conversation to the others as - become more of issues of the operators you work with - as you use a radio like the Lincoln - wish I still had mine.

As before. Refers to “timely information”. Conundrum. One has several factors at work:

1). All operators are in motion — always receding except in rarest circumstance — thus signal capture is fleeting

2). With other radios it was easier for me to determine relative distance or travel direction according to individual RX. Signal strength rise & fall. One could assign a color-chart of type.

3). IOW, I now have to pause in assessment of what I’m hearing.. There may be road problems for each direction of Interstate travel not 5-10/miles apart. All RX sounding the same.

— Tiptoed back thru the woods on one yesterday. Re-entered road behind same truck I was earlier behind. This was directly on top of a problem IN THE OTHER DIRECTION.

Thus several miles of potentially confusing info. “Best” receiver plus “best” audio (assuming “best” mobile antenna) gives more , but one needs to sift faster. I had the content markers, so judging RX was easier.

I’m near a major truck stop junction now (getting ready to leave) and have — at 04:40 — a fair amount of signal on & off. I ought to be at maximum gain (propagation), but I just don’t have the same audio clues as with other (lesser) radios as to relative distance.

Are these guys I’m hearing right now up to three miles out, or are they 5-10/miles out? Interstate splits going north, so without geo-locators can’t fall back on “sound qualities”. Traffic “should” be higher going north. No news COULD be good news, but . . . .

What’s missing is that mile marker data.

It’s like telling the retarded kid to go sit in the corner.
In a round room.

So, I’ll grind & brew some coffee and let the radio sing to itself awhile.

Last edited:
Reactions: undertaker
So, I’ll grind & brew some coffee and let the radio sing to itself awhile.

When driving thru Altoona, Wilkes-Barre and even Allentown will begin to sound the same, missing the subtleties of dialect as well as the confusion of the various identifying markers of the different highways seem to all be described as the same thing.

Notice what I did there?

Not just you, it's your location - tropospheric ducting - ground wave - as you get and build better systems, so does the events you can experience.

Welcome to another aspect of communications - the "ducting events" that make such a install as your's the ones to envy because you can talk to the others that others couldn't.

You think it's bad now, just wait, your installs weren't completed last year when events like this took place on the highways. Your time to experience this has come.

YES, it's a Dangerous game of cat and mouse when it comes to knowing where your other stations are.

Last edited:
When driving thru Altoona, Wilkes-Barre and even Allentown will begin to sound the same, missing the subtleties of dialect as well as the confusion of the various identifying markers of the different highways seem to all be described as the same thing.

Notice what I did there?

Not just you, it's your location - tropospheric ducting - ground wave - as you get and build better systems, so does the events you can experience.

Welcome to another aspect of communications - the "ducting events" that make such a install as your's the ones to envy because you can talk to the others that others couldn't.

You think it's bad now, just wait, your installs weren't completed last year when events like this took place on the highways. Your time to experience this has come.

YES, it's a Dangerous game of cat and mouse when it comes to knowing where your other stations are.

Its part fascination and part frustration. There really is a sameness to all signals received except at either end (nearest/loudest or farthest/faintest where description is of unit distance plus apparent power).

It certainly is not what I expected, as the receiver translates the signals “better” than others of my experience albeit with fewer identifying tags.

At this point I’m far more reliant on other operators giving those geo-locators.

Reactions: secret squirrel
Have temporarily retired the Linc as I had DTB Radio give the Galaxy DX-99V2 a needed tune & align. (Time and access to service came together while on the road).

I won’t say this radio is as good as the Lincoln, but I will say the less-than-ideal Peterbilt antenna system I’ve dealt with (over & over) doesn’t let the Linc 2 shine as it might.

So it’ll go to my pickup where it’s small size is easy for me to fit near the manual transmission shifter (amp will be under rear seat). That truck will have a selection of antennas such that radio performance is magnified.

I also find it easier to use the Galaxy controls while underway.

The Linc does have the edge in received audio.

The reason for this post is the no-other-changes-to-the-system except radio swap. A-B, close as I can make it.

Receiver noise level is similar, but easier to control on the Galaxy.

Both wide-open aren’t quiet (at all) given this set of systems they’re plugged into.

That said, both deliver outstanding audio thru the DSP speaker compared to a typical truck install with external speaker.

Its not an either/or choice between radios nor meant to be. The strengths of the Lincoln are a full length ahead, but the Pete isn’t the ideal environment without a much better antenna. That last part changes I’ll try it again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.