• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile radio suggestions

So, there are more people on HF than 2m/70cm?

Definitely! That's why we are encouraging you to get your General class license so you can really experience the Amateur bands.

2m/70cm is mostly repeaters and there are some club repeaters there you can join in on. There is also IRLP which are internet linked repeaters and lets you link up other IRLP repeaters domestically and worldwide by simply entering a 4 digit number on your mic keypad and your in.

Other than that, there is not much SSB propagation on 2m/70cm. You have to wait for a 10 meter opening and then you are limited to a small portion of that band.

If you are confidant you can pass the Tech class, than with just a little more effort, you can pass the General tests as well. Do this now while you are still in study mode.

Good luck, 73

I'm doing okay on the tech practice test with my previous CB and WWDX fourm experience :) I might have to get a study book for the general. I'm constantly in study mode with my profession, schooling and now amateur radio. I'll probably get a 2m mobile and save for a proper HF base setup.

Reactions: 2RT307
I'm doing okay on the tech practice test with my previous CB and WWDX fourm experience :) I might have to get a study book for the general. I'm constantly in study mode with my profession, schooling and now amateur radio. I'll probably get a 2m mobile and save for a proper HF base setup.
If you have a local club, check with them to see if anyone has a used 2m/440 rig up for sale. A lot of the guys in my area had some nice dual band rigs up for sale after they upgraded to cross-band repeat or digital rigs. Same can be said for HF rigs... lots of people selling what they have to pick up the new Icom. Saw a barely used Kenwood TS-590SG for 1100 bucks just this morning.

And keep working towards General. It's really a lot of fun. :)

Brett

With DX leaving and not many people on CB there is nothing to do
That's the problem with 11 meters, you are locked onto a small portion of the band and when it dies your done. With a general ticket let say if you're using 10 meters and it dies 12 might be open or 15 or 17 or 20... get the drift.

Kenwood has some older radios that are 2 meter all mode. I have one, think it's a TR 751A. The older radios a usually pretty affordable. Make sure you do your research though, some will not do repeaters.

Since your brain is already in "Learn Mode" why not just go for Extra ticket. Why accept restrictions?

It's really not to hard and I encourage you to go for the top.

From the FCC website :
"The HF bands can be awfully crowded, particularly at the top of the solar cycle. Once one earns HF privileges, one may quickly yearn for more room. The Extra Class license is the answer. Extra Class licensees are authorized to operate on all frequencies allocated to the Amateur Service."

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.