• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Thru Roof Installation Part

general

Jan 12, 2014
Recently I Bought a New sirio antenna, I plan on Mounting this on my old ford pickup. I want to pick up a 3" pl-258 Barrel and construct my own puck mount. BUT, the only nut i can locate is that small panel nut, which i find Inadequate for an Antenna mount. :headbang I need help finding an Extra large mounting nut. I have looked at the Breedlove site, He sells the entire set-up, with that Huge nut like the one i need, Any help is Greatly appreciated, Thanks, The General.

Hi & Thank you for taking the time to help me.. I greatly appreciate that.:D Yes, I have seen that one, I don't think it's heavy enuff,,However I'm Looking for something Twice that size to attach this thru the roof. Once i remove the headliner,run all the needed wiring, and get it back in place, I dont want to have to do it twice. Thanks again, the General.

Hi & Thank you for taking the time to help me.. I greatly appreciate that.:D Yes, I have seen that one, I don't think it's heavy enuff,,However I'm Looking for something Twice that size to attach this thru the roof. Once i remove the headliner,run all the needed wiring, and get it back in place, I dont want to have to do it twice. Thanks again, the General.

Well,if you have enough barrel length,you can double up on the nuts as that would give you more thread holding power. Also,you could use some oversized washers if your roof metal us a tab bit thin. Otherwise you could do like I did and buy one from Sirio Antenna that fit it.
Accessories : Sirio Antenna, High Performance Antenna Made in Italy

"DV" vs "PL"

I could use more washers and nuts..You know it seems as though SIRIO would sell a PL Base for the PL antenna for a Hard Mount....The antenna itself is a PL, The base mount for thru mounting is Pl to DV. This Dv connector is a different animal for sure. :headbang..Sure they sell the dv cable to pl but the coax seems flimsy, I want to connect my lmr400. antenna to radio. I can screw in the pl-258 barrel connector to the antenna, thats why i was gonna build my own mount. Wilson also offers a hardmount, but again, small coax...Breedlove offers mount options at a Higher cost!...Good Ole Charlie Brown helped me find breedlove, I thank him for that..I can't even find out what type of thread the panel nut is. I took the nut to a machine shop, they put 4 differnt gauges to it, and they are stymied, it seems it's not metric, fine thread, or any standard thread size, Nor is it pipe thread...:headbang...LOL.. I may just have to spend the money and purchase the breedlove puck & get it done & overwith...thats over $40.00 Bucks...1 nut would solve everything for say $3.00...Sometimes the easiest things can be dang frustrating:cry:...anywhoooo......Thanks for the help, I do appreciate this site,. the general.

I could use more washers and nuts..You know it seems as though SIRIO would sell a PL Base for the PL antenna for a Hard Mount....

They do or at least here in the UK they do. I use one for my dual band antenna and they cost £6/$10.

so239dv.jpg

I found this on Ebay US though...

Sirio SG AC U So 239 Body Mount w 13 ft 4M Cable | eBay

I can't even find out what type of thread the panel nut is. I took the nut to a machine shop, they put 4 differnt gauges to it, and they are stymied, it seems it's not metric, fine thread, or any standard thread size, Nor is it pipe thread...:headbang...LOL..

That's extremely odd, I was a machinist for 20 years and I never came across an unidentifiable thread.

Reactions: 1 person
General,
Did I understand you correctly, you plan to use LMR-400 for your mobile? It can certainly be done, but there's no benefit considering the length of the run. Oh well.
- 'Doc

Any coax will do?

Ok, I just want to install & know that it'll provide the best of service for many years to come...So any coax will do for a Mobile?...I have some of the rg-el-Cheapo i can run up there...or, If I ever install a 2 pill amp the small coax is ok for that too?... Thanks for the inquiry, I'd rather save a my lmr for base usage. Thanks again. The General.

I have no idea what rating a "2 pill amp" is but RG58 is OK for the length of run in a typical mobile install even on VHF and UHF and its good for 3-400W or so into an antenna with low SWR.

Why not just order the correct hard mount from a sirio dealer, you can upgrade the coax from the factory too. Check out DNJ radio, they carry a good bit of sirio stuff. It's where I ordered my sirio pl5000 and 145 mag mount. Wish I could hard mount. The Breedlove mounts are definitely a great product as well. Granted they are more expensive, but you get a quality mount. On the other hand, the sirio mount seems to work well as far as all of the installs I have seen of them. If you are worried about the metal being thin on the truck, add a thin large washer on the bottom side. JMO. Good luck and hope you get it sorted out. God bless.

"DV" mount

Hi: I already have the hard mount from sirio, and the mount has a "DV" cable connection...I've yet to see an Adapter connector "DV" to "PL" to utilize my pl-259 coax..I may have to just run the Rg-58 from the UK with the "DV" connector made up on 4 meter coax. Do you think the RG-58 will work sufficiantly?,, I was trying to utilize Longer lasting componants able to withstand the Harshest elements mother nature can throw at us up here in northern maine..Low bridges, Tree limbs, Ice/Snow, Train trestles...etc...Thanks for your help, the General.

They do or at least here in the UK they do. I use one for my dual band antenna and they cost £6/$10.

so239dv.jpg

I found this on Ebay US though...

Sirio SG AC U So 239 Body Mount w 13 ft 4M Cable | eBay

Ok, gonna ask a really stupid question so don't crucify me. I'm having a hard time figuring out what adapter to get for the bottom side if using a pl259. Or butting a so239 to it. The bottom looks a lot smaller in size. If its workable that's the mount I want to buy.

dxChat
Help Users