• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile with SSB

x2502

Jan 7, 2012
I'm brand new to CB and want a radio for my vehicle and the wife's w/SSB capability. Reports I've read on the Galaxy models are mixed, with lots of comments about drifting on SSB. Are the Cobra 148 and Texas Ranger 966 better in this regard?

Thanks!

The 148 will have the best recieve of the radios above,

I really like President HR2510's HR2600 and Lincolns. Hard to beat when set up correctly.

Since I'm a newbie with no tech experience, I'd like to stay with new equipment. Maybe after I get my bearings and a soldering iron, I could get into some of the better used gear. I hear good things about the Presidents and the Maylasia-made Cobras.

Galaxy dx 979 gets thumbs up from me. Very mariginal amount of drift. Compact size is also a plus as well. The XYL has 1 in her pickup and its a talker.
If you can find an older 148 then they are great as well.

If you are trying to keep from the higher priced ham rigs..

I Suggest Ar-3300 and AR-3500 ..
Excellent SSB radios for 10/11 meters ( cb & extra channels )

Thanks for the replies.

Since I'm a novice, at this point I'm not considering 10m gear and a ham license. Maybe in the future, but for now I'm looking at 2 mobile and maybe 1 base CB units. I'm interested in the SSB models due to the increased output and efficiency.

along with the already mentioned older cobra 148, the older uniden grant is a good radio too if you can find them with out having been hacked. best of luck.

I've owned both and the Cobra 148 GTL is by far the better quality CB radio hands down. The modders like the Galaxys because it uses a very common chasis and very modify-able. Other than that the Cobra wins for quality and relibility.

I would get the 148GTL the cobra is a great radio if you buy 2 and 2 good antennas at or from a cb shop they may give you free shipping if you ask. Some places give a free tuneing, they are also good out of the box. A power mic is also a good option. If you don't like useing the radio or the wife says she doesnt like they seel easy on craigs list or fleebay.
A little tip for you! Have your wife sit in the driveway, and you drive to a local store parking lot and then figure out how to work them make adjustments etc. Get use to working sideband. Driveing around looking at a radio can be costly if not deadly.
Be safe and good luck, Have Fun.

I have a Cobra 148GTL as a base station and my 2 mobiles are Cobra 29LTD (29 no ssb) If you are looking to keep in contact with your wife mainly you may find using ssb a little more difficult for paging and general mobile to mobile or to base communications that's why I use the Cobra 29LTD in our vehicles it makes communicating with the wife simple. I have the 148GTL for a base for me to talk with locals or skip the wife is not interested in this. I noticed you like SSB because of the power all my Cobra's audio swing more than 12 watts on am with just a little adjusting. Believe me you soon will want more than 12 watts and will probably need it so you will soon be looking for an amp anyway there are some simple mobile amps simple to operate on/off and relatively inexpensive also.If there was anything else I could offer for advice is "go big" after you start replacing everything you just recently bought you could have saved a bunch of money by just getting it the first time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.