• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobiles as a base? Which one to get?

Found a new NOS never used Ranger TR-296GK made in Malaysia.. supposed to be like a 148.. not cheap for $270, but new in box.. so want it.. when they were out they were $140-190.. seller pulled down for me, I have till 1st to come up with money..

Anyone have thoughts on this model (not the price which I know is high).

Screenshot_20180821-225953.png Screenshot_20180821-230007.png

A lot of money for nothing special. Why not get a galaxy 959 they have a lot of punch after tune. For that crazy price you can get a 2950 or most any brand new radio.

Reactions: sp5it
A lot of money for nothing special. Why not get a galaxy 959 they have a lot of punch after tune. For that crazy price you can get a 2950 or most any brand new radio.

I had wanted old school style if possible.. I could spend $119 on Uniden 980 and $170 on KL503.. be just around $300 for a radio with SSB and 300w kicker.. that's why I am torn..

Coax in today for the new A99.. hopefully by Friday I can at least have that tested and tuned for lowest SWR..
Just put up the A99 Sunday morning on wall mount outside..

Reactions: undertaker
959 $183.00 free shipping new. On e bay
Variable power. And freq. Countet. Plus many more options. Duval mosfets. Am and SSB. It has s lot going for it. Looks old school.

I want audio punch and SSB..

The Stryker 955 is too much $$

Suggestions??

Save up some more money and buy a Stryker SR-955HPC . . .

Look up Mark Sherman, aka "Hard Drive", on YouTube ( "Fine Tune CB" ) . . . KNOW what you want, in advance ( Watch ALL of his SR-955HPC videos ) . . . You can ONLY contact him on Facebook. Mark will order the radio for you . . . He doesn't like "tire-kickers" or people who ask a lot of questions.

You want : STRYKER SR-955HPC / Palomar ERF-2030+ Mosfets / Palomar Max Mod / -135 dB down / 11-Meter Conversion / Palomar SL41 Microphone.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Save up some more money and buy a Stryker SR-955HPC . . .

Look up Mark Sherman, aka "Hard Drive", on YouTube ( "Fine Tune CB" ) . . . KNOW what you want, in advance ( Watch ALL of his SR-955HPC videos ) . . . You can ONLY contact him on Facebook. Mark will order the radio for you . . . He doesn't like "tire-kickers" or people who ask a lot of questions.

You want : STRYKER SR-955HPC / Palomar ERF-2030+ Mosfets / Palomar Max Mod / -135 dB down / 11-Meter Conversion / Palomar SL41 Microphone.

I like his videos, but his prelude sounds like a used car salesman trying to sell you a "real deal". If he doesn't like questions, don't think I would buy from him. "There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers".....~LaoTzu "I think". I sometimes wonder what he's been smoking out of that hand held hooka.

Ended up moving the McKinley into the house as it has variable power on it for kicker. Ended up with TS350 as well for $200..

I do have an offer in on something else right now as well to use in my truck or swap in house as a base. Just waiting on seller to accept.

Thanks all.

Glad to see you stick to your guns and buy what you want and trust.

Unfortunately there is still a lot of ground to cover in painting a broad brush of "this works with this" - type of setups - but overall we - at least myself - wish you the best.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Speaking from experience, the Uniden SSB 980 matches up very well with the 503. I didn't even crank down the deadkey down - just never ran it on the highest settings (1-4 and avoided 5 & 6).

The 980 is so stable (along with the 6666) that I get comments about a very natural SSB sound which is what we all aim for, right? :)

Anyway, good luck, just wanted to give you some real world!

Adam

Reactions: CB590

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.