• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobiles as a base? Which one to get?

Uniden 980 for $112 Walmart, $119 w/tax and free shipping to home. Cheapest new deal..

Will try my RM203 amp with it after turning 980 down to 1.5w dk.

I heard after 2016 or so they redesigned the 980 to kill the darn beep with just a long button push of NB/ANL.. hopefully I get a newer model, that beep sucks.

And later w/Xtreme 2018 mic (apparently good reviews) if needed.

I read pot 206 is the AM, correct??

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Thinking of moving my President McKinley into the house as a base and just run that and my existing 203..

Then save pennies and grab 980 for the truck.. or I just found another Uniden 122 for $100, supposedly scope checked. so torn.. ughh

Reactions: TheRATT
How do you like the Mckinley?

Love it. Just the mic issue when cold.. switched to Astatic M6-575 without buttons for channel change.. all good.. the unit when sub 30' would go up a channel when pressing the PTT occasionally.

Easy to to adjust RF power thru front panel.. just use an external meter. Then run you amp without issue.. my KL203 seems to run well with it at 1.75w dk.

For a base it would work well. Everyone says I'm on frequency on LSB, so I'm happy.

That's why may just put in the shack as a base. Maybe add a bigger kicker 250-350 is all.. that would make up the $$ difference I was going to spend on a new house rig. Found the KL503 for $170 or so new.. or the 7505 for $200..

Reactions: undertaker
Anyone know the AT 6666 low power with power knob down?? And then the high which I am guessing is like 40-50w??

I am asking because that may be a neat alternative for me.. low with amp or high without amp and running barefoot..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.