• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mocat

Pros: It's a Motorola, made at time when they were the absolute king of mobile communications. IIRC they were made in the USA- or if not, then Japan when Japan was at the peak of electronic production. Built every bit as well as their commercial equipment of the time.

Cons: Kind of lacking in features. Never cared for that top-firing speaker. Not sure how well they took to being modded for power and frequencies. I would imagine that parts, if needed are difficult to impossible to find.

Opinion: Motorola entered the CB business late in the game. While the radios were well built and reliable, there were better radios with more features for less money. IMO Motorola was banking on it's brand name to do the selling. They did sell of course, just not in the numbers Motorola had hoped.

I wouldn't mind having one in the collection if it's in good condition and can be bought cheap enough, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find one, nor would I consider using it as a daily driver.

I used to work at Motorola and we built truck loads of them. They were made in the USA early on and I don't know if they ever went overseas with them or not. Parts are standard semiconductors. One thing I have to say about Motorola they did not re-invent the wheel every time they designed a new products. Those did lack a lot in the features area.

I don't know much about the CB radios but I have an old Motorola Marine radio that I still use it out performs all the new radios the make now but doesn't have as many frequencies an weighs about 10 lbs , That's back when their quality control was far better than today ! IMO

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated