• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mod ID

Ringworm

Jun 29, 2015
Any idea what this is, I can't get any information on it.

Is it a mod? Looks out of place.

Galaxy 95T

Any idea what this is, I can't get any information on it.

Is it a mod? Looks out of place.

Galaxy 95T

Looks like all three legs are soldered to the same place......

My guess: Manufacturing "Rut Rho" which had no affect on performance you it came to you !

It is the modulation limiter transistor, in these radios I think it is Q39. Someone removed it, but soldered it there in case the new owner wanted it re-installed. If you de-solder it, and it has C945 or C945P on it, then it's the modulation limiter transistor.

If you look straight down from where that transistor is soldered, right next to a little yellow "wire", you'll see 3 empty holes where there was something previously soldered there. Most likely the transistor went there originally.

~Cheers~

It is the modulation limiter transistor, in these radios I think it is Q39. Someone removed it, but soldered it there in case the new owner wanted it re-installed. If you de-solder it, and it has C945 or C945P on it, then it's the modulation limiter transistor.

If you look straight down from where that transistor is soldered, right next to a little yellow "wire", you'll see 3 empty holes where there was something previously soldered there. Most likely the transistor went there originally.

~Cheers~

So, why is it there, and what will happen if I remove it? It's limiting the modulation?

If it is indeed the modulation limiter then it has all ready been removed.

I would install the limiter and then have a good alignment performed on the radio.

As Exit 13 posted who ever removed it may have just soldered it to that trace so if it was ever to be installed again it can just be un-soldered from the trace and soldered in to the circuit.

Basically take it to a tech and have the limiter put where it belongs and then align the radio using correct test equipment.

Now answer to your ??? you can remove it from where it is, as it is not performing any function at all.

Reactions: Ringworm
If it is indeed the modulation limiter then it has all ready been removed.

I would install the limiter and then have a good alignment performed on the radio.

As Exit 13 posted who ever removed it may have just soldered it to that trace so if it was ever to be installed again it can just be un-soldered from the trace and soldered in to the circuit.

Basically take it to a tech and have the limiter put where it belongs and then align the radio using correct test equipment.

Now answer to your ??? you can remove it from where it is, as it is not performing any function at all.

This is helpful, thank you. Now i'm trying to research why would someone want to remove the limiter from my, or any radio. I'll most likely send the radio to a tech and have it put back in and correctly aligned.

This is helpful, thank you. Now i'm trying to research why would someone want to remove the limiter from my, or any radio. I'll most likely send the radio to a tech and have it put back in and correctly aligned.

Ringworm, i am not trying to dissuade you from sending your radio to a tech, but you really dont have to if all you want to do is put that transistor back in.

go to cbtricks.com and look up your radio there. you will find pictures of the PC board showing you where Q39 should be.

install the transistor there, making sure the flat part is facing the same way it does in the pic and on the silkscreen on the PC board.

now find VR16, which is your modulation control, and turn it all the way one way.
if your modulation seems low, turn it the other way.

now your modulation will still be loud, but you wont be distorting on SSB anymore.

having a full alignment done on the radio is very important, and you cant count on the factory to do it right.

just dont be fooled by a truck stop "tune up". find a recommended tech here on the forum.

i just wanted you to know that you are not dead in the water if you cant send the radio out.
LC

Reactions: wavrider

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.