• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mod Squad Modified Uniden Grant LT 11 watts bird *video*

pumphouse

Sep 2, 2005
Got my hands on a Mod Squad modified Uniden grant LT and all I gotta say is "wow"! The strongest STOCK final I ever seen on the bird meter. 2 watt dead key and swings to 11 watts avg on 14.22 volts. Peak about 23 watts bird. Sideband does 20 watts avg power.

My question is that is this more than avg watt output for a modified stock final Uniden grant LT? Or is this the "one out of a 100" radios that just kicks ass?

Well heres a video of the radio in action:
YouTube - Uniden grant lt Mod Squad modified stock final 11watts bird avg

Comments are welcome.

Even though you see 11 watts avg with a sustained audio input does it really do that kind of power constantly? I can't say because the analog movement on the bird meter isn't fast enough to register that so if you assume the radio is @ 100% audio and you take the pep reading and divide that by 4 then you're left with an avg power rating of approximately 6 watts avg.

Not to burst your bubble, just saying.

And of coarse all this is at the assumption that the radio has a 24 watt pep output.

I have a uniden pc-68xl that will do the same thing and has the tommy2watt mod which was his personal radio.

wokintvoltagepepreadiong.jpg

Even though you see 11 watts avg with a sustained audio input does it really do that kind of power constantly? I can't say because the analog movement on the bird meter isn't fast enough to register that so if you assume the radio is @ 100% audio and you take the pep reading and divide that by 4 then you're left with an avg power rating of approximately 6 watts avg.

Not to burst your bubble, just saying.

And of coarse all this is at the assumption that the radio has a 24 watt pep output.

I have a uniden pc-68xl that will do the same thing and has the tommy2watt mod which was his personal radio.

wokintvoltagepepreadiong.jpg

Cool! Thank you for your comments. :) Thats a very strong output for a 68xl. Props!

If possible, please post a video (if you are able to) of your claim of the uniden pc-68xl (with the 1969 final) on the bird first on avg mode, then on peak. I would like to see if while holding a steady Auuuuudio on avg power if the needle on the bird meter stays steady on 11 avg power (like the LT did) or if it jumps around. Same test requested while the bird is on peak mode. Also, do the mike gain test (as seen in my video). The mike gain test will tell another story. I have seen erratic watt output on the 68xl type chassis when this test is replicated. The watt output jumps all over the place on the wattmeter when holding a steady auuuuudio and slowly turning up the mic gain and also while slowly turning it down. It wasnt steady like the LT.

Not trying to prove you wrong or get into a my radio can do this contest, but im very interested in seeing how your radio reacts on the bird while replicating my tests as seen in the video. I have always seen the pc-68xl's power output erratic on the bird while holding a steady auuuuudio. If yours dont do that, i would like to exchange info with you about your mod :)

Always willing to learn here :)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.