• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MOD TO FIX THE RECEIVE ON DELTA FORCE

there is nothing you can do. there is a lot of noise due to the cpu. a 2950 is the same way. the cpu creates alot of white noise. true ham radios usually have a beat filter. it cancels out the harmonics that the cpu creates.

unplug the antenna on the 2950, turn it on. hear the hissing? thats the cpu same as a delta force.

take my kenwood tm-271a unplug the antenna and listen. no hissing. its cpu controled but it has the proper filtering so it is not noticable. a 2950 will never have less than s3 of noise, delta forces are the same way. the delta is far worse but the 2950 is not a great reciever by any means.

i have never had s3 of internal noise on any 2950 i owned,
they are a bit noisy compared to a grant export on fm but backing the rf gain down or not fully peaking the front end helps some,
the deltaforce to me is a noisy radio, sounds like theres too much gain somewhere in the rx, all the omegas/deltas i have had here were noisier than any of the 2950's i have owned.

bob, you are CORRECT if it is an older delta force. they DID have too much gain, & magnum reworked the receiver. check here for the update:

http://cbtricks.com/radios/rflimited/delforce/df_rec_mod.htm

it is a combination of the cpu & chassis ground that makes them noisier then pll radios. the above mod will definitely improve the receive, & a bit of the white noise. be sure you have the nb/anl on-the menu system makes it easy to shut it off. check your board/chassis ground, even add/move some for more possible improvements. with 2 channel guards-you need a 455kHz for AM-the delta/omegas are very good receiving radios.
not quite uniden quality, but pretty close!

I had a first generation Delta that had alot of noise. I sent it in for a free up-grade while they did another repair and it was alittle better. I now have a 2002 model and it is even one step better yet. The latest Magnum radio's seem to be another step in the right direction as well.

People either love Magnum radio's or hate them, considering the way they sell it seems alot of people love them. By the way, I do like the 2950 as well. There seem to be just as many people that complain about their noise also.

I've never had that kind of noise problem with any of my 2950/70's either. I've never run a Delta Force other than servicing them on the bench, so I can't comment on that one, but I've never had anyone complain about noise problems in one.

good to hear it about this radio!!!!
i just bought one Magnum DeltaForce
all ready peeked and converted and ready to talk..
so i will see what this baby can do by friday..
it should have the free update i did forget to ask though..
if not i can just call and get the free update:)
any comments of this radio doing 50watts PEP with the Variable Power Control all the way up..the seller said it was 15 swinging 50

Now going to dump the Galaxy DX959 all moded out radio on Ebay!

DTB, the delta's problems really aren't that they are any noisier then anything else, the problem is actually frontend overload. magnum did fix it.

lords, i'm not really sure about 50 watts, never got anywhere near that from any of mine-new or old. in the 30's was about it. the delta does NOT use the topgun, the omega does, & does see a few more watts.

Lords, they are a great little radio for sure. I don't think you will see 50 watts though. I think mine is in the 30-35 watt range with a nice signal on a scope. I want to try an Omega Force some day as well, they function just like a Delta with the top gun, speech processor, and quieter receive. So I am told.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.