• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mode switch for Cobra 2000?

Brian G

Dec 21, 2020
Anyone know where I can get a mode switch for a Cobra 2000? I don’t think there is any aftermarket equivalent and I don’t have a scrap radio to pilfer from.

I just looked this up.... what you have is a 4 pole 3 position rotary switch. By the way, the numbering is messed up on the schematic that I have so watch out. One section of the switch is used twice in the legend. The AM/SSB Signal Meter circuit AND the Power Supply SSB Voltage Source selector BOTH claim to use the section where Pin 9 selects Pins 5,7 and 8. be careful to use the color codes or something to keep the wires straight.

The best I could find at the moment was at Ken's electronics....

http://www.kenselectronics.com/lists/switches.htm#Rotary

Down towards the bottoms are two selections that caught my eye....

PH30-15403 Four pole 3 position round shaft rotary switch (non-shorting = break before make) US$6.64

510049 Robyn SB510D & SB520D rotary Six Pole 3 Position AM/USB/LSB mode switch Uniden built SSB CB's $10.92

ONE is a 4 pole 3 position the other is a six pole 3 position used in Robyn radios.

I do not know if they would fit......but if they did .... they might give you an option if you can get it wired up.

Just tryin' to help....

Thanks I appreciate it. Unfortunately Ken’s is a completely unreliable site now. The last 2 times I tried to order from him he never filled it. Didn’t get charged but orders were never filled even after calling him. It’s to bad because it was one of the only sites left to find old obsolete parts.

Reactions: guitar_199
In was reading your other post. You did not mention if the switch was bad or good????
Why would you change it with out testing it???? It may be good.

In was reading your other post. You did not mention if the switch was bad or good????
Why would you change it with out testing it???? It may be good.
I’m not sure if it’s bad or not. Trying to determine that. But I want to get a line on where to get another one or a replacement type if I do determine it’s bad.

They are on e bay. They come from China. They are brown in color. If you do a search. All the info you will need is in a thread band mode switch on a Uniden Grant.

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco
Found them on Ebay a while back. Seller is in Taiwan.

Found it. Seller is wonderco_buy

Pretty sure this is the right one. Can't remember if a switch with a single deck has enough circuits. The one with two decks is bound to. Has four circuits per deck. Below is the two-deck switch with eight circuits.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-Rotary...604966?hash=item1f1aeb27e6:g:qIIAAOxyaTxRTVFY

Here's the four-circuit single-deck version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-Rotary...DefaultOrganic&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851

Last edited:
Thank You Nomad. I was falling asleep last night and did this from my phone so I was not about to find all this on my phone. Also just corrected my spelling errors fr last night.

They are on e bay. They come from China. They are brown in color. If you do a search. All the info you will need is in a thread band mode switch on a Uniden Grant.
I did the search a few ways couldn’t find. Could you either drop the eBay link or the thread link on here? Thanks.

These switches don't typically go bad.Whats' wrong with the one you have, worn contacts, broken contacts ? I'm betting it isn't bad unless you can see physical damage to the switch.

I have replaced 2 so far. But Brian G I sure would like you to test the one you think is bad before replacing a perfectly good switch to find out it is a bad trace or diode.

I have replaced 2 so far. But Brian G I sure would like you to test the one you think is bad before replacing a perfectly good switch to find out it is a bad trace or diode.
Agree and I wish I knew. This has become a disaster quite frankly.

I might not be popular for this........but in his OTHER thread...he sent a bunch of pictures..... PLUS.... I studied the schematics and the pics of the switch......

It is POSSIBLE that there is ONE EXTRA segment....MAYBE TWO on that switch......

We are looking at that.

From what he says..... that switch looks bad..... he says that he measures 13.8 on the two sideband pins, measures something a little lower on the AM pin.....but NOTHING comes out on the output pin of that segment. I still wonder if something is loading down that orange wire.........causing it to look low. BUt if NOT........

I think it would be easier to just use a spare section of the switch and rewire the bad segment to an unused one.

Ahhh Brian!!!!!!!
Good morning! If you have time.... I think it would be wise if you can unsolder that orange wire from the switch.....then measure the pin on the switch itself!!!

What I am looking for...... if something ON that orange wire.. (the driver.... the final.... or something over in that Modulation Meter circuit) is shorted and pulling the wire to ground...... doing THIS would allow the pin on the switch to come back up in voltage.

I might not be popular for this........but in his OTHER thread...he sent a bunch of pictures..... PLUS.... I studied the schematics and the pics of the switch......

It is POSSIBLE that there is ONE EXTRA segment....MAYBE TWO on that switch......

We are looking at that.

From what he says..... that switch looks bad..... he says that he measures 13.8 on the two sideband pins, measures something a little lower on the AM pin.....but NOTHING comes out on the output pin of that segment. I still wonder if something is loading down that orange wire.........causing it to look low. BUt if NOT........

I think it would be easier to just use a spare section of the switch and rewire the bad segment to an unused one.
like to know why I’m getting 13 volts at both the center and front leg of the AM regulator in all modes and zero volts at the rear leg (that is the leg towards the back of the radio with it flipped over on solder side. That’s part of why I was asking about C174/175.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated