• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Modernized Craig L-231 Base

Johnny Mullet

Jan 7, 2024
So I bought this beautiful 1977 Craig L-231 base some time back and it had issues. I had it at two different shops and still more issues. I replaced the audio chip and recapped it. Slightly better, but poor audio, terrible receiver, and no SSB modulation. No other shops would touch it. I had a small fortune into this rig and was not going to shelf it or trash it, or ship it to another shop and dump more money into it. I basically have a very large flip clock now.

So what do you do? First thing is hack up the internals and gut that chassis you spent all that money on and do it with evil laughter. You upgrade the power supply, upgrade the speaker, add a cooling fan to the inside and install a modern radio of your choice.

20230911_190459.jpg20240121_114137.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.