1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Modifications to a 23 channel radio, illegal?

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by Titan7, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Titan7

Titan7 New Member

I was have a conversation with a guy I know who was telling me it’s illegal to swap out a crystal in a 23 radio to basically substitute CH 1-4 for CH 36,37,38, and 40. I’m like what? Now I know there are some crazy and outdated laws out there but didn’t some mgfs offer to send in to convert 23 radios to 40 back in the day. How could it be illegal to transmit on legal CB frequencies on a CB radio. Having a hard time getting my head around this one.

Anybody ever hear of this?

2. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew Sr. Member

Any modifications to a CB are illegal if you intend to use it on the CB band. The designs are tested and approved by the FCC before being approved for sale, any changes to that design voids that approval. If the manufacturer did anything they probably had some type of FCC approval for the new design changes.

Now if you're a ham and are modifying it to use on a ham band you can legally operate on that is another story.

midnight special and BJ radionut like this.
  3. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

By the "TRUE" nature of the rules...ANY modification to a FCC approved CB whether 23 or 40 channel is technically against the "Rules":whistle::D
    By the letter of the rules 23 channels radio's are not even allowed to be sold, because they do not conform spec-wise to the newer rules...
    Silly yes but true...

RULE 9 - Equipment

{A} You must use an FCC type accepted CB transmitter at your CB station.You can identify an FCC type accepted transmitter by the 'type acceptance' label placed on it by the manufacturer. You may examine a list of type-accepted equipment at any FCC Field Office or at FCC Headquarters. Use of a transmitter which is not FCC type-accepted voids your authority to operate the station.

{B} You must not make, or have made, any internal modifications to a type-accepted CB transmitter. <*read Rule 25> Any internal modification to a type-accepted CB transmitter cancels the type-acceptance, and use of such a transmitter voids your authority to operate the station.

RULE 25 - Modifications to Transmitters

{A} You must not make or have any one else make any internal modification to your CB transmitter. .....
    (B) describes...allowable repairs using certified boards and repair parts

{C} You must not operate a CB transmitter which has been modified by anyone in any way, including modification to operate on unauthorized frequencies or with illegal power.

95.603(c) Each CB transmitter (a transmitter that operates or is intended to operate at a station authorized in the CB) must be certificated. No CB transmitter certificated pursuant to an application filed prior to September 10, 1976, shall be manufactured or marketed.:whistle::ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

Of course these rules are followed to the max...You find 23 channel gear everywhere for sale..BUT! by rules...marketed means Not to be sold.:whistle::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
    All the Best
    Gary

4. kaos513

kaos513 Well-Known Member

23 channel radios are obsolete so I'm sure the FCC wouldn't tell the difference.

5. Titan7

Titan7 New Member

Wow. I am a Ham, but I have no plans to convert the radio over to Ham Freqs. Just had a good old radio that wanted to use the higher legal CB channels for SSB. Guess that’s out of the question. Wow, still in shock over this one, lol.

Thx

6. Low_Boy

Low_Boy Well-Known Member

Do it anyway. It will still be cleaner and have less splatter than any Connex or Galaxy that is sold legally.

Holydvr and BJ radionut like this.
  7. midnight special

midnight special Well-Known Member

if you are wanting to use this as a ssb cb,, there is still some who use 16lsb mostly on sunday evenings and esspecially when skip is heavy,,,, a lot of unmodified radios being used this way,,,

8. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict