• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Modified Vector 4000

HELP WITH EZNEC+?

The more I work with this EZNEC+ program the more I agree with MrSuburban. I have a lot to learn about how to use this program on my own. I see that you can enter any reasonable alternate impedance you want to correct the match and it does not effect gain in the program. One thing I have noticed is missing in the Sigma model I was given to work with is the correct location of the source as it would be applied by the gamma.

The source on this antenna should be applied where the "dog bone" makes it's connection between the gamma and main radiator. Moving the source from the bottom, towards this higher location increased the free space gain to 6.21dbi. I'm bright enough to know I'm lost with this program because that's some place between 50% and 100% more gain then the design produces under real conditions.

I know there are several forum members familiar with EZNEC+ that have an interest in the Sigma design. Is anyone willing to help me understand if this program is able to accurately model this design or exchange any existing models for comparison? It would be great if someone could look at my 6.21dbi free space model and be like "there is your problem"! If you're interested, please message me.

Hello Shockwave,

In the past you told me you worked with other programms, perhaps you can give those a try.

Concerning Eznec:

With changing those values whats the average gain test run?
In other words does Eznec tells you to verify the model?

Im more than willing to help where i can. (im certainly not a guru)
The author of the programm Roy W7EL is more than willing to help. (he is!)
Just write him a email and im sure he will help you as he has done with me in the past.
Then if your not into Eznec but more a 4Nec2 guy, Mr Arie Voors (he is too!) does reply emails aswell.

There is only one thing that they want...and that is they want to be sure people have read the manual, sounds fair to me...

Mr suburban is indeed rigth, you do not need to "match" the antenna to show gain.
There are guys on the forum who use a programm called "antenna model" that can include a direct matching section...(just to know). However you can calculate it your self.

The question wich need to be asked is does a gamma-match add gain to a antenna?
No, sadly not. Any matching section in a antenna is responsible for Loss.
So any modelling done without a matching system can be slightly more optimistic...
It isnt a real big issue to dont use a gamma-match up front.

Now, dont get me wrong, as i mentioned before one should place matching networks as much as possible.. (recall that story about that 70cm with or without Tmatch and the loss of the antenna due to that T-match?..for reasons like those one should include a matching system.)
So keep in mind the physical dimensions of a matching system can change the radiation pattern. The electrical "loss" of a matching system is 0.

Bare in mind programmas like Eznec are 4nec2 etc are GREAT!!!
But it cant be a perfect substitute for real live!
Say you want to add a 1:9 balun Eznec only calculates with "no loss" baluns.
If you would just change your SWR reading with the factor 9,
you will have the same results.
In real life a balun can have a very big (also negative) influence on a antenna.
So it wouldnt be fair to ask that modelling programms, as it can not "predict" how heavy that is.

Kind regards,

Henry
PS my email: 19sd348@planet.nl

Last edited:
The more I work with this EZNEC+ program the more I agree with MrSuburban. I have a lot to learn about how to use this program on my own. I see that you can enter any reasonable alternate impedance you want to correct the match and it does not effect gain in the program. One thing I have noticed is missing in the Sigma model I was given to work with is the correct location of the source as it would be applied by the gamma.

SW, I haven't figured out how to do as you suggest, and change the impedance on an Eznec5 model yet, however, in my doing the models the hard way, devoting the time to learn, and tweaking with models that don't require a matching device, I've discovered that matching appears to have very little to do with the gain, pattern and/or angle as most suggest. I find, within reason, this seems to be true for real world testing and in modeling of antennas. I could be wrong however, because most often I hear the very opposite...from too many of the CB guru's on this and other forums.

I do consider Bob85's words, regarding the importance of proper tuning the Sigma4 in order to really see best performance, and that might be the exception...considering the possibility that proper tuning affects the collinear affect in the antenna in the phase relationships. I've not been able to duplicate this at my location in real world testing however, and my modeling also does not indicate such, even though I believe Bob experience on the matter. We don't hear much from other owners of the new Vector or old models, claiming something similar either, so I'm waiting for others to test and tell us their experience. Bob tells us about other Sigma4/Vector owners that see results similar to his, but apparently they're not Internet savvy.

The source on this antenna should be applied where the "dog bone" makes it's connection between the gamma and main radiator. Moving the source from the bottom, toward this higher location increased the free space gain to 6.21dbi. I'm bright enough to know I'm lost with this program because that's some place between 50% and 100% more gain then the design produces under real conditions.

I agree that moving the source up very near the top of the Sigma4 bottom 88" element will raise the indicated gain, but do you believe that number is getting closer or farther away from the real response? Henry's original model showed a high gain using the thin wires and no tapper too, but do you believe that as well? I think both Henry and Dxer did not worry about the location of the source, and I fixed that by trial and error working with Eznec, and it was not easy. Only after many such fixes did my model start to resemble the antenna we might expect in appearance and characteristics. This happened even though my Eznec modeling is generally considered to be just as riddled with errors as all prior Sigma4 models posted here on the WWRF.

The best model I've seen on the WWRF was one done by Dxer, but I never requested him to send me a model. That was before I got Eznec5 and was able to use his model with many segments. I think at some point back then Henry was able to get that model from Dxer, and later he sent it to me. I corrected the errors I found in the model and as a result, I get good performance indicators although I don't get real high gain like Henry, or real low gain like Dxer in his original model that he posted.

My model looks like what we might expect for the Sigma4 design. I posted some images of the output in my album some time back. I also posted several times requesting if you (Shockwave) would like my version of the Sigma4 model. I think I even PM'd you too, but no response.

I fixed all the problems I found others had included and that I felt were actual errors. Personally, I cannot find anything wrong in my input of the dimensions in my modified version of the model that Dxer originally created and posted. I likely made some technical Eznec errors however, and I ignored you guy's word's, "claiming it can't be done."

I'm new at this and I only started doing the modeling when Mr.Suburban sent me his little simple model of a Starduster some time back. I plugged away at modeling for a while...until I realized no-one was interested in modeling with Eznec, and it seems most are afraid to discuss the subject due to a possible lack of understanding. All the negative words about all the errors and limitations it has...didn't help either.

I know there are several forum members familiar with EZNEC+ that have an interest in the Sigma design. Is anyone willing to help me understand if this program is able to accurately model this design or exchange any existing models for comparison? It would be great if someone could look at my 6.21dbi free space model and be like "there is your problem"! If you're interested, please message me.

I posted my email address for you before and it is in this thread somewhere. I can tell you right off the bat...that IMPO the Sigma4 is not ever going to produce a 6.21 dbi gain in free space or over real earth. If you send your model to my email address, I'll see if I can find anything I might disagree with...in your modeling technique and/or results.

BTW, Henry mentions the error finding capabilities that Eznec uses, my Sigma4 model is free of all of those type errors.

Last edited:
Thanks to both Henry and Marconi for taking the time to respond. I've sent you both an email regarding the subject. I'm eager to learn anything I can about EZNEC+ through your experiences. Of particular interest is the correct physical location of the RF source in this antenna without the dreaded "Model contains loss" warning. Any help is greatly appreciated.

@Shockwave...you have mail, im hopoing it will answer the questions..if not let me know.

@Marconi...concerning your last post.

Upfront..you know, if i misinterperted something..please do correct me or forget about it.

1- Changing impedance on a antenna can only done by physical making the antenna different That means length, heigth, feedpoint, etc etc..
There inst anything in eznec to “figure out”.

2-As earlier metioned the manual says:. Baluns and other technics have 0 effect on the model. Unless it represents a physical large construction. Say a gamma-match with a tube of 2 meter long...But then it has influence cause it is large, the same a supportstructure can have influence on a antenna..

3-No model requires a matching device. (it migth be smart to do so but thats a different thing.
However, your SWR plots wont be representive simply cause you havnt add one.
What you could do is change the Ohm value of the SWR “reading”value to the resonant ohms.
Below 50ohms as the Vector 400 is a gamma-match will show equal results.

4- About that collinear effect, people are "holding on" to cebik his words, and ofcourse i understand that. But perhaps one could place it in a different perspective.
The question is how do we interpertate it.
Yes the bottum part radiates..sure it does..but how much and is that a real plus?
He didnt mention: never seen this before! its abolute something new wich is not know before!! etc.. No, he just mentioned "there seems to be a non-apperant collinear effect..just wanted to have it said...nothing ment with it..keeping a open mind.
Im also aware that with his statement about the difficulties in Enzec, he is (as i see it) refering to the "close spaced wires". Yes that is a bit tricky..but as stated before i dont see what the problem is...as you know how to handle it.

5- Have you thought of that what bob is doing might influence earth losses,and his TOA? And therefore shows different results.?

6- Im dissapointed you keep refering each time to that first model.
But then again it is partly my mistake for sharing it. So Im guessing, for the fourth time.
That model was only to show the antenna could be made in Eznec. It was made in a couple minutes and by far not representive and not correct, again it was only there to show it could be done. So if possible please stop refering to that, I wish I had done things differently from the beginning..

7- It is completely understood if it is your first antenna it gives a lot of error.
If you read the chapter sources and close space wires in the Manual.
You will find out, that the biggest issue is to get the segment lengths equal then its more or less set to go.

8- pse stop refering again to that first model...now your mentioning the gain..that gain isnt real as it was full with faults..(fifth time lol..).

9- A model of the sigma 4 will show almost equal to that of a 5/8 wave vertical...but im guessing some do not want to hear that as people have a higher expectation..

10- The best way to verify your results is to run “the average gain test”.

11- Agreed on that model of the Starduster yes i found them ready for improvement.., mostly cause they were introduced as "THE models". but then again, Mr Suburban has to start somewhere it is always easy to kick people.. to motive them is anohter thing..
And yes, im guillty aswell! Man i have always trouble expresing things correct!
For instances take a look at your self.
Not long ago, if im not mistaking you were doing your thing with the demo version aswell you had many "errors" But here you are setting words in RED to expres yourself
"all my models are free from error"..
I was under the impression i told you that you cant dot hings with just the demo version?..
so pathetic is perhaps not the right word. If you (we all) want to stimulate mr Suburban...
Perhaps a bit more carefull word choice is appropiate...though im sure you dont intend anything with it.

EDIT: ...wasnt it CST stallion instead of mr Suburban??with that eznec file??

12- My appologise if I didn’t make clear at least I am interested in your effort to model, so your not alone!

13-The negative words is one of the reasons why I kept (try to keep) away from this tread.
Im not expecting a end result from this all..
Each situation will be different each contact will be different...heck I can show you a ¼ groundplane antenna wich will outperform a 3el yagi on DX..but does the antenna have more gain…no it doesn’t..it has however under that specified angle.
To my believe as earlier mentioned that is what people are searching for with theire effort concerning the Sigma antenna..now, don’t get me wrong I highly appreciate the effort…but it’s a story without a end.. Its simple..Gain can only come from length in one way or another..collinear effect or no-collinear effect. It is under wich angle you put it and where the receiving station is located that will claim results.

14- The way I read Shockwave, he agrees with you that the antenna will not show that amount of gain and so is everybody else I guess..

My apologize for not making a beautifull good to read story.
But there were so many points and a quote would made a real large story..so i hacked it up a bit.

Thank you for your effort as always !

Kind regards,

Henry
www.dx-antennas.com

Last edited:
best way to verify your results is to run “the average gain test”.

11- Agreed on that model of the Starduster yes i found them ready for improvement.., mostly cause they were introduced as "THE models". but then again, Mr Suburban has to start somewhere it is always easy to kick people.. to motive them is anohter thing.. And yes, im guillty aswell! Man i have always trouble expresing things correct!
For instances take a look at your self.
Not long ago, if im not mistaking you were doing your thing with the demo version aswell you had many "errors" But here you are setting words in RED to expres yourself
"all my models are free from error"..
I was under the impression i told you that you cant dot hings with just the demo version?.. so pathetic is perhaps not the right word. If you (we all) want to stimulate mr Suburban... Perhaps a bit more carefull word choice is appropiate...though im sure you dont intend anything with it.

Henry maybe I am reading this wrong?

Here is what Marconi said:
"I'm new at this and I only started doing the modeling when Mr.Suburban sent me his little simple model of a Starduster some time back. "

I dont remember so I just checked my outbox I dont see that I sent marconi any files I was going to send him some files I just don't see them in my outbox, and the model I have of a starduster is perfect in it's construction. I have used Eznec for a few years and I am familiar with it's usage. Marconi sent me a file about a month ago, and It seems that I havent sent him anything in return.

This is what was in my email from Marconi:

" That is when I decided to learn to model using Eznec and see if that was true. CTStallion sent me one of his files for a 1/4 wave and using that I was able to get a little handle on the data entry process. "

Seems you guys got the wrong person.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marconi
Eddie are these the Modified Version numbers that is supposed to work better? or just stock numbers?

They are the numbers they measured Multimode's New Vector 4000 from. The model I sent you is the Antenna Specalists version of their Sigma4 with three legs.

if someone was to homebrew a sigma 4/vector 4k style antenna would shockwaves design/measurements be better to go by ?

"For those that were wondering what my measurements on this antenna are......Here you go. The vertical whip is 29 feet 7 and 1/4 inches long from the bottom of the connector bracket to the tip of the whip. The four radial arms are 81 and 1/2 inches long from end to end. The loop is 129 inches in circumference. The gamma is simply adjusted for lowest VSWR. Sorry I did not measure the gamma and I did use a home made Teflon gamma match with a weatherproof HN connector."

@Shockwave...you have mail, im hopoing it will answer the questions..if not let me know.

@Marconi...concerning your last post.

Upfront..you know, if i misinterperted something..please do correct me or forget about it.

1- Changing impedance on a antenna can only done by physical making the antenna different That means length, heigth, feedpoint, etc etc..
There inst anything in eznec to “figure out”.

I guess I misread what SW said about changing impedance. I agree with your statement here Henry, but I was thinking that maybe SW knew a way to use Eznec to change the impedance as a function that I hadn't discovered as yet.

Henry, I hope my words in the post above didn't imply that you misrepresented something with your model. I think we were all clamoring around for someone to make a model of the Sigma/Vector for our discussion. I think your only intentions from the beginning were to show us a model of the Sigma4 design...albeit a quick and easy model that was convenient for you to produce, but I could be wrong.

At first when you and SW were discussing the wires issues, that did confuse me. That was because I didn't have a clue what Eznec was all about, even though I did have some expectations that I found out soon were wrong and were probably due to errors and limitations in the software. The problem wasn't you Henry, it was the product, and mine and maybe some other's somewhat erroneous expectations for what the software could and couldn't do.

2-As earlier metioned the manual says:. Baluns and other technics have 0 effect on the model. Unless it represents a physical large construction. Say a gamma-match with a tube of 2 meter long...But then it has influence cause it is large, the same a supportstructure can have influence on a antenna..

I didn't mean to suggest in my claim above about matching...that I didn't see, meaning 100%, any difference in gain, pattern or angle in antennas requiring matching that was not included in the model. I agree with you, the difference may be little to none, and is typically a physical issue in an antenna.

3-No model requires a matching device. (it might be smart to do so but thats a different thing. However, your SWR plots wont be representative simply cause you haven't add one. What you could do is change the Ohm value of the SWR “reading” value to the resonant ohms.
Below 50ohms as the Vector 400 is a gamma-match will show equal results.

I agree, and I haven't thought about trying that.

4- About that collinear effect, people are "holding on" to cebik his words, and of course i understand that. But perhaps one could place it in a different perspective. The question is how do we interpret it. Yes the bottom part radiates..sure it does..but how much and is that a real plus? He didn't mention: never seen this before! its absolute something new which is not know before!! etc.. No, he just mentioned "there seems to be a non-apparent collinear effect..just wanted to have it said...nothing meant with it..keeping a open mind. I'm also aware that with his statement about the difficulties in Enzec, he is (as i see it) referring to the "close spaced wires". Yes that is a bit tricky..but as stated before i don't see what the problem is...as you know how to handle it.

Well Henry, I just have Bob's words on the subject, and of course I have no idea what Cebik knew or didn't know about the Sigma4. Right or wrong, I once suggested to Bob, when he told me the story of his contact with Cebik, that may Cebik just didn't want to get into an extended conversation about that old design and used some suggestive words to cut off the discussion, more or less. I see this happen among folks I know all the time and is not meant to be an ill-reflection on anyone. I say this just so you won't have to quarrel with me later about my insensitive words.

5- Have you thought of that what bob is doing might influence earth losses,and his TOA? And therefore shows different results.?

I sure have Henry, and I might even make an argument when Bob suggested that he may be actually steering the TOA. What if he had been steering the angle higher rather than lower, when he observed his improvement at a distance, where sky waves and line of site waves arrive in phase adding to the signals? Most of the time I think we tend to associate successful contacts at a distance with improved gain and that gain is typically considered to always be at lower angles rather than higher angles. At least that is the radio talk I generally hear. Could that also have been what Bob observed?

6- I'm disappointed you keep referring each time to that first model. But then again it is partly my mistake for sharing it. So I'm guessing, for the fourth time. That model was only to show the antenna could be made in Eznec. It was made in a couple minutes and by far not representative and not correct, again it was only there to show it could be done. So if possible please stop referring to that, I wish I had done things differently from the beginning..

Henry, I would not refer to your original model except to try and maintain some context for the history of this thread for those that might be interested. I for one, and I think this is true for others, appreciate the model, just like it is, that you posted. IMP, at that time back then the thread was more or less declining in interest. I wrote about that just before you posted your model and we appreciate your doing so. If it were not for the problems we discussed as a result, I would not have been curious to learn Eznec to the very limited extent I have. If your model had been more perfect, then we would have been just as easily convinced that was the way the Sigma4 works, and finally we had an answer to an age old question.

7- It is completely understood if it is your first antenna it gives a lot of error. If you read the chapter sources and close space wires in the Manual. You will find out, that the biggest issue is to get the segment lengths equal then its more or less set to go.

I did that in my revised model, but I have not tried to make the elements different just to see what affect it had, if any that I could see. I might try that with my modified version. BTW, I think this model I revised is Dxer's model. Henry, from and explanation standpoint is it fair for me to state that the last model you sent me with the circular hoop was in fact made by Dxer, and he sent it to you? I don't want to misrepresent any facts here either. I didn't have to say this either, but for the context and your penchant for civility.

8- pse stop referring again to that first model...now your mentioning the gain..that gain isn't real as it was full with faults..(fifth time lol..).

I apologize for making the reference, but for me I was simply trying to maintain context as noted above. I have seriously consider standing-by in these discussions on antennas, and maybe that is what I should do, if my words are considered harsh, disrespectful, and insulting. I can do what I do and be satisfied in quiet that I never bruise and ego or rustle some feathers. That said, I will do as you ask, that topic is forgotten.

9- A model of the sigma 4 will show almost equal to that of a 5/8 wave vertical...but im guessing some do not want to hear that as people have a higher expectation..

That may be. You have much more experience, but thus far I do not see that at all, useless we accept the simple fact that all antennas do about the same thing with a 1/2 wave element. I see considerable matching differences, and pattern differences. The currents flowing on the support and in the antenna are way different, and I even see a small difference in gain and angle in favor of the Sigma4 3/4 wave design, so I disagree.

10- The best way to verify your results is to run “the average gain test”.

I see that notation when running under the 3d mode for Plot Type, but that is all that has come to my attention so far. Is there something else regarding this test, that I should be doing. I assume the program is simply taking some range of gains in the plot and averaging the values, and that is of some value to your consideration for the success of the model, right?

11- Agreed on that model of the Starduster yes i found them ready for improvement.., mostly cause they were introduced as "THE models". but then again, Mr Suburban has to start somewhere it is always easy to kick people...to motive them is another thing...And yes, im guilty aswell! Man i have always trouble expressing things correct! For instances take a look at your self. Not long ago, if im not mistaking you were doing your thing with the demo version aswell you had many "errors" But here you are setting words in RED to expres yourself "all my models are free from error"...

I was under the impression i told you that you cant dot hings with just the demo version?..so pathetic is perhaps not the right word. If you (we all) want to stimulate mr Suburban...Perhaps a bit more carefull word choice is appropiate...though im sure you dont intend anything with it.

If you'll look back at my full statement in red, you'll see what you state here is not what I said Henry. You did not quote me correctly, can you explain why that is? You must know how to cut/paste. I did the red type, because it was an after thought I had that I edited to the post later...after I read your new post that you were doing maybe simultaneously with mine.

I noticed in your post, after I saved mine, that you discussed the Eznec error messages, and it was my way of trying to make sure that after SW read the long post I made, that he didn't miss that important aspect of modeling that you raised.

12- My apologies if I didn’t make clear at least I am interested in your effort to model, so your not alone!

You're wrong again Henry, I feel that I'm completely alone on this modeling effort. Why else would I have stopped my modeling efforts over a month ago. No responses and no help, what does that tell you Henry? Modeling is complicated, need I say more. Most guys only refer to modeling when they think it serves their ego's or arguments about an antenna. Frankly, I don't think modeling is intended to be comparative in functions or results. I think it is more useful as a design tool.

13-The negative words is one of the reasons why I kept (try to keep) away from this tread. Im not expecting a end result from this all..Each situation will be different each contact will be dfferent...heck I can show you a ¼ groundplane antenna which will outperform a 3el yagi on DX..but does the antenna have more gain…no it doesn’t..it has however under that specified angle. To my believe as earlier mentioned that is what people are searching for with their effort concerning the Sigma antenna..now, don’t get me wrong I highly appreciate the effort…but it’s a story without a end.. Its simple..Gain can only come from length in one way or another..collinear effect or no-collinear effect. It is under wich angle you put it and where the receiving station is located that will claim results.

Personally, on occasion I will address what I feel are negative words, but us talking about personality, feelings, and words just don't interest me very much. I do like a good back and forth argument (discussion) on the issues regarding antennas however.

14- The way I read Shockwave, he agrees with you that the antenna will not show that amount of gain and so is everybody else I guess..

My apologize for not making a beautifull good to read story.
But there were so many points and a quote would made a real large story..so i hacked it up a bit.

Thank you for your effort as always !

Kind regards,

Henry
www.dx-antennas.com

I have no idea what everybody else thinks about the gain of the antenna and I really don't care. I would like to hear why they might have such an opinion however and if they can demonstrate their thinking instead of just spewing out words.

Can we start a conversation about antennas or modeling. This pussy footin' around with personalities and Johnny feel good stuff bores me.

No antenna when modeled with Eznec needs a matching device to show the results of gain etc. A matching network as far as I am aware doesnt effect radiation patterns of antennas, if you think it does then maybe Jay's hairpin does more than what you think it does, if you say his hairpin does nothing but provide a match then we are in agreement that a matching network is not needed for an accurate model, knowing how the program works is more important for modeling accuracy.

since a sigma 4 can't be made to work properly with a typical tapped coil type matching device it seems in the real world (at least in the sigmas case) matching devices can make a big difference . not in gain , but in the antennas ability to perform at its best .

......... of course i could certainly be misunderstanding something .

You're right Mr.Suburban, I confused the issue using your name when instead it was CTStallion. Sorry.

You're right Mr.Suburban, I confused the issue using your name when instead it was CTStallion. Sorry.

:oops:
Not a problem Marconi, I have used Eznec for a few years for Henry telling saying that I have to learn somewhere had me cornfused. I also use 4Nec2, and also Nec Win-Plus. Do I consider myself a antenna modeling expert? By no means but i can use the program and get believeable results. The Vector isn't a easy antenna to model if I had time I would spend a few nights on it but other things interest me more at this time, I bought a Vector because of Bob and this thread I put it up and am happy with the way it works. In the summer when It is nicer out perhaps i will do some testing in the field as I started to build my own but when I recieved the Vector i replaced all the aluminum with the aluminum I was using for my Vector build. Take Care

since a sigma 4 can't be made to work properly with a typical tapped coil type matching device it seems in the real world (at least in the sigmas case) matching devices can make a big difference . not in gain , but in the antennas ability to perform at its best .

......... of course i could certainly be misunderstanding something .

How do you know that the Vector can't be made to work with a typical coil type matching network? There are ways to add capacitance to the antenna without a gamma. The ability of a antenna to perform at it's best is measured in gain.

if i got the wrong information/impression and it can be built with a tapped coil please tell me what if any other differences have to be made on a vector for that matching system .

Hi guys,

Oke, i have to go now, so ill make it short lol...

Mr suburban...your rigth..i thougth so thats why i edited the text..but we were doing things the same time. Hope i didnt upset you.

Marconi, your rigth...and your not alone..and dont stop modelling it is the best there is!

Ill have to re-read again..but thats for tomorrow. in the meanwhile if you do have any eznec questions please feel free to ask..im not a guru but together we know a lot!

Enjoy the weekend!

Henry

Thanks to both Henry and Marconi for taking the time to respond. I've sent you both an email regarding the subject. I'm eager to learn anything I can about EZNEC+ through your experiences. Of particular interest is the correct physical location of the RF source in this antenna without the dreaded "Model contains loss" warning. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: [Antennaware] Model Contains Loss

"Just starting modeling. Why does a model say "Model contains Loss" in the control box when it shows very good gain in the Far Field Plot?
What is causing this?

Thanks es 73,
de Jim KG0KP"

Replies:

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 20:24:38 +0100
List-post: <mailto:antennaware@contesting.com>

Jim,

first of all you should set "Wire Loss" = 0...
"Average Gain" different from a value close to 0 simply says that there is
something wrong in the modeling (e.g. improper segment lengths, acute
corners etc.)... "Average Gain" is NOT meant to correct gain values...

regards

Uli, DJ2YA

Reply#2

> To: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-OnLine.Net>

"Jim,

I assume we're talking about EZNEC, when plotting 3D
patterns. (Other programs may be similar.)

In the real world, all antennas have loss (conductors, earth,
resistive loads, etc.), so this is nothing to be especially concerned about.

With copper wire dipoles well above "High Accuracy" ground (> 1/4
wl), the Average Gain should be around -1 dB. For verticals, it's
not unusual for them to exhibit an Average Gain of -5 dB or so, due
to ground losses. Resistively terminated receiving antennas like
Beverages, K9AYs, or Flags can have significant average losses, -20
dB or more (thus the common need for preamps).

As a point of interest, W8JI uses the difference between forward gain
and average gain to obtain a figure of merit, which he calls RDF
(receiving directivity factor). He lists the RDF and Average Gain
for a number of receiving antennas at Comparison of Beverage antenna,magnetic loop antenna,and phased vertical receiving antennas.

In free space, with zero loss conductors and lossless loading, the
Average Gain should be very close to 0 dB.

It usually indicates problems with your model construction or
geometry if the Average Gain number is positive by more than a few
tenths of a dB.

73, Terry N6RY

Reply#3

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 09:23:24 +0100
List-post: <mailto:antennaware@contesting.com>

Hello...,

when calculating average gain, the software or the modeller should first remove all wire- and spot-loading, to get a valid average-gain value. Furtheremore the ground should be set to free-space or perfect ground.

A number of packages does do this automatically. I don't know how EZNEC does handle this situation. When reading your posting it seems to me the modeller has to do this by hand. However I might be wrong.

L.B. Cebik does supply some additional info about the subject on his site.
See:

http://www.cebik.com/amod/amod20.html
http://www.cebik.com/amod/amod71.html
http://www.cebik.com/amod/amod55.html

Arie.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.