• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Modified Vector 4000

well its a month later , but i finally ordered my additional tubing today to make a vector :)
i ordered .....

DXE-AT1488 Aluminum Tubing 6' x 1.500" x 0.058" wall, 6063-T832 drawn, no slits $8.95

DXE-AT1495 Aluminum Tubing 3' x 0.625" x 0.058" wall, 6063-T832 drawn, no slits $2.35

DXE-AT1489 Aluminum Tubing 6' x 1.625" x 0.058" wall, 6063-T832 drawn, no slits $9.75

DXE-AT1480 Aluminum Tubing 6' x 0.500" x 0.058" wall, 6063-T832 drawn, no slits $4.15

Sub Total: $37.65

i already have four of their 6 ft tubing sections in 1 inch , 1 1/8 inch , 1 1/4 inch and 1 3/8 inch . so ill have enough vertical length to go well beyond the point of the most effective length that folks who tinker with a sigma design have found when modifying them .

this is the second time ive ordered from DXengineering . the first time was a breeze and arrived quickly , the dude said this order should be here thursday :) .

Aluminum Tubing Type 6063 - 6 ft.

i ordered un-slit sections to save a few bucks . the tubing was $37.65 plus $18.92 shipping , so $56.57 total delivered .

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry i've not got the hang on how to use forums yet?
I've just had an idea that i don't see anyone experimenting with at all.
Instead of using a tubular or flat section 30" ring is someone prepared to experiment with a disc shape? Obviously this is an expensive shape to manufacture from one piece and adjusting the width of the metal used would be difficult, perhaps a disc will perform differently and there could be some interesting results found by changing the thickness of the ring (difference between inside and outside diameter) So basically it would look like a big aerobe frisbee. Anyone got a big sheet of alu and a plasma cutter?

i could certainly be wrong but i dont think a disk/donut/frisbie shaped ring would work well at all . i think it would screw up the way the basket/cone works in phase with the vertical . but i could be wrong ....

I have been reading through this debate and find it strange that after over 30 pages of discussion no-one can actually say that they have made any improvements over the stock designs.

maybe we didn't read the same 30 pages . there are a couple of different manufactured versions of this antenna for the cb band . the the sigma 4 with shorter basket radials and a 27 ft vertical , the sirio lw150 also with (i think) the shorter basket radials and a 31 1/2 ft vertical . a vector 4000 with longer basket elements and is a little shy of 28 ft tall with a wire ball top . i don't recall the measurements of the larry or targa 150 . all of them use a 30 inch diameter loop for the cone .

from what i can tell having the basket radials 106 inches long and a 28 - 29 ft vertical seems to get the most out of them . there is still some question if a little more performance can be had with a slightly larger ring . im gonna play with a 1/4 WL ring on mine .

My attempt is going to be a bit of a hash up, so far i plan to use a copper basket based around a fiberglass wind-surfer mast with a modified fishing pole stuck in the top, the main radiator will be some type of wire running down the outside of the glass fiber poles and taped into position once it comes within the basket, now i'm thinking to make this aluminum disc and bolt it to the top of the basket rather than using a copper ring, i think the basket can handle being made from copper and if it oxidizes this may help shield the lower part of the signal being radiated and encourage the signal to radiate more from above the basket, it seems this is the idea, i have a strong feeling that a disc rather than tube ring would greatly change the radiation pattern towards the horizon .
Is anyone prepared to experiment with a few different sized discs?

im gonna try to stick a close as i can to the original designs myself . i think your idea is gonna have issues with the wire not being in the center of the cone . i also think the disk is a bad idea . there is no "if" about copper oxidizing when exposed to the elements .

from what i understand the basket doesn't prevent the the lower part of the antenna from radiating . FWIU the vertical and the basket work together similar to coax cable . the vertical is like the center conductor , the cone has a inside and a outside surface just like coax shield . RF travels on the surface of elements . the inside of the cone contains the RF that is out of phase on the lower part of the vertical with that with the top 1/2 or 5/8 wave , but the outside of the cone radiates opposite of what it does inside the cone so its in phase with the upper portion .

hopefully i got that right . id appreciate any correction that may be needed if i am wrong .

i ordered un-slit sections to save a few bucks . the tubing was $37.65 plus $18.92 shipping , so $56.57 total delivered .

Not to break your balls or nothing but how much did you save by getting them unslit? the minimal cost isn't worth my time having to deburr and take the time to cut them as straight as they do. I spent probably 100x what you have with them never had a problem with anything in the order. (y)

I have also built one It will handle 110+ mph winds and has a low loss matching section.

It is called the Intervector 10K soon to hit the market.

Not to break your balls or nothing but how much did you save by getting them unslit? the minimal cost isn't worth my time having to deburr and take the time to cut them as straight as they do. I spent probably 100x what you have with them never had a problem with anything in the order. (y)

I have also built one It will handle 110+ mph winds and has a low loss matching section.

It is called the Intervector 10K soon to hit the market.

while i appreciate your concern for my balls , its not necessary . in fact , id rather you not think about them . but i cant control that , so do what you will .

for slit tubing the shipping stayed the same , but the item cost goes up to $50.75 , so i saved about $13 . im poor and have too much spare time so i dont mind the extra effort .

good luck with your Intervector 10K . im glad yours is about to hit the market and i wish you success with it .
i'll be putting the BOOTY 4 on the market to , hopefully no lowlife will xerox it :love:

take care mr.s :wub::wub::wub:

my tubing just arrived (y)(y)(y)(y)

ordered on tuesday morning and arrived thursday afternoon .
very fast shipping (y)

This is out of a book I have Antenna Theory and Design by Stutzman and Thiele

2ymuhk2.jpg

2qlz81i.jpg

Last edited:
mrs . thanks for the info , but i dont understand any of that math . plus its for 400 MHz and i building one for 27 MHz .

thanks again for sharing the information .

mrs . thanks for the info , but i dont understand any of that math . plus its for 400 MHz and i building one for 27 MHz .

thanks again for sharing the information .

If they are both vertical a scale should provide usable data.
Many modeling programs do just that.

This is out of a book I have Antenna Theory and Design by Stutzman and Thiele

2ymuhk2.jpg

2qlz81i.jpg

This antenna is interesting however, from what I can gather it shares very little with the Sigma design other then general appearance. This cone antenna is a 1/4 wave monopole that should have very wide bandwidth and that would be its advantage. It is not a sleeve monopole, skeleton sleeve monopole or coaxial J-Pole. The cone is connected to and part of the short vertical radiator. Because of this I would not expect it to develop any gain over a dipole.

:LOL: good to know i didn't miss anything applicable to my project . it would have screwed me up :headbang

mr.s , is the design above that you scanned and posted what you have based your comments/opinions here about the sigma4/vector on ?

:love:
:LOL: good to know i didn't miss anything applicable to my project . it would have screwed me up :headbang

mr.s , is the design above that you scanned and posted what you have based your comments/opinions here about the sigma4/vector on ?

It was more about the modeling of the cone etc. I use a vector that I have modified I have my Intervector 10K in the works.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.