• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Modified Washington with unstable clarifier

Enterprise312ok

Jun 12, 2022
A freind of mine brought me a Uniden Washington modified with 2 crystals on the bottom of the board for extra channels, also an open clarifier. The clarifier works perfect on startup but after about 5 min of warmup the frequency drifts up to 27.**54 or 400 cycles high and the clarifier will not decrease the frequency only increase.

Hopefully one of You great techs has encountered this issue before

Reactions: G-Golly Wally

It could be a worn potentiometer. It could also be from making wires longer (thought I posted that). I remember mine acting up before I put it in the shed.

Mine also had the clarifier open, and I never had an issue until I extended the wires on something (i think the channel mod switch). I'd have to go look in the shed to see what I did, but I remember once I made those wires longer to move the switch, mine did what I remember to be the very same thing. Maybe the extra wires causes some other resonance (like one of the spurious responses in the crystal).

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
I'm highly suspect of the two extra crystals. If the wires are long or not tidy, they will introduce stray capacitance and detune the crystals. I had to install separate trimmer capacitors to pull the crystals back on frequency when I did a frequency mod involving extra crystals and had to keep the crystal leads REALLY short.

This one is modified with two crystals soldered directly to bottom side of board and a trimmer. Doing some on air testing I have found that it is only the transmit that is going off frequency the clarifier is always working on receive but after warm up the transmit drifts 500hz up from center frequency and cannot be adjusted back down with clarifiet, only up.

there is also a long wire going from the board with the three buttons to the squealch knob that turns on the mod when switched to pa mode. According to the locals around here this is how "Snuffy" did all the washingtons he sold.

Rock on! Long wires and crystals just don't play well together. Any factory setup that selects multiple crystals will use diodes or transistors to do the actual switching. That way the long wires to the front panel are carrying only DC current, isolated from the oscillator circuit and the crystals. Sometimes a tweaknician gets away this this kind of lashup, but not often.

Back in post #2, I too thought I had it figured out, but the problem returned after shortening the wires. When this thread was revived, I decided to take a look at mine again. I though this time that the crystals on the channel mod switch needed gounding, so I did that and decided to try an alignment.
And thats when I found it. Touching the trim cap for the 10.24MHz (edit: 11.1125MHz) made it jump. Check this out! I knew those caps had a short turns lifetime, but I never seen one go bad before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Enterprise312ok

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.