• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mods for the Cobra 200GTL

Well, I know of the problems older radio chassis tend to have.

Mostly age which requires a Re-capping - that means replacement of many of the Electrolytic "Cans" Caps that dry out as they age.

This effect can even cause damage if not fixed soon enough - the dried out substrate acts like a dead short and loads down a circuit it's used in - so if you are having issues with audio - you may want to look into recapping to save the radio and restore it's original volume, tone and condition.
Cobra200Electrolytic.jpg

Well, I know of the problems older radio chassis tend to have.

Mostly age which requires a Re-capping - that means replacement of many of the Electrolytic "Cans" Caps that dry out as they age.

This effect can even cause damage if not fixed soon enough - the dried out substrate acts like a dead short and loads down a circuit it's used in - so if you are having issues with audio - you may want to look into recapping to save the radio and restore it's original volume, tone and condition.
View attachment 35877
Thanks for this will do a recap this weekend I did the filter caps but never thought to replace these I did look for any 10 volt or 6.3 ones but all were 16 volt or more so I jumped them but yea good idea there thanks

NPC RC mod available, did it today on a Cobra 200. 6 Watt dead key swings to 30 bird on low-power peak of 105, 20 watt dead key swings to 60 bird on high-power 135 peak. Pretty easy to keep a clean signal as well. Any interest anymore in a mod for this radio like this?
I’m interested in trying this mod out can you provide a step by step instructions for this?

Reactions: chip111
Thanks for this will do a recap this weekend I did the filter caps but never thought to replace these I did look for any 10 volt or 6.3 ones but all were 16 volt or more so I jumped them but yea good idea there thanks

If the Caps are still that OEM dark blue/Violet color with nearly Grey Striping and print - they are OLD - time is running out on them so you may have more than one issue but if the Speaker "audio" won't clear up - make sure you have taken care of that 470uF cap - that cap can shoot voltage thru it (when it blows it does blow shorted) into the speaker making it sound muffled - when you have that condition - STOP and recap as many caps as you are able to do - for the radio is going to have a limited lifespan - if you don't get those critical caps, they can fail shorted and cause damage in the amplifier chain.

Reactions: Chipper
If the Caps are still that OEM dark blue/Violet color with nearly Grey Striping and print - they are OLD - time is running out on them so you may have more than one issue but if the Speaker "audio" won't clear up - make sure you have taken care of that 470uF cap - that cap can shoot voltage thru it (when it blows it does blow shorted) into the speaker making it sound muffled - when you have that condition - STOP and recap as many caps as you are able to do - for the radio is going to have a limited lifespan - if you don't get those critical caps, they can fail shorted and cause damage in the amplifier chain.
Ok thanks a lot for the help really appreciate it

NPC RC mod available, did it today on a Cobra 200. 6 Watt dead key swings to 30 bird on low-power peak of 105, 20 watt dead key swings to 60 bird on high-power 135 peak. Pretty easy to keep a clean signal as well. Any interest anymore in a mod for this radio like this?
1N914 or 4148 diode, cathode to center leg of voltage reg, 100 ohm resistor to Anode of D51. SMT, so be careful.

Attachments

• IMG_20240220_135256_646.jpg
    19.5 MB · Views: 9
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.