• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Modulation Problem?

nat19

Nov 18, 2009
West Virginia
Hey guys got my new jumper the other day and started talking on the radio again. Yesterday I noticed that once in a while the modulation would drop on my radio. I was using the internal meter and it would drop from a around 100% to about 20%-30%. I was curious if it was just the meter so I got in the mobile and sure enough, the modulation would suddenly drop then come back up again. By the way I am using a galaxy 2547 and a turner 454 that I patched together with some cobra parts. The locals say this setup sounds really good. When I got back I took the mic apart and re-did a few solder conections I put it back together and it seemed to work fine. This evening however it worked fine for a few hours then I noticed only once it dropped to almost zero while I was talking it hasn't done it again since but it still bothers me. I would like to know why as I take pride in how my staion sounds and this is unexceptable. My next question is could it be the radio or the mic. I really hope its in the mic but I'm not sure. Could someone give me some ideas? Also I read Rob's threads about good mic sound and was wondering if the mic is the problem should I just buy a high end mic and preamp instead of messing with the one I've got? I am sure my station would sound better if I did.

Hey guys got my new jumper the other day and started talking on the radio again. Yesterday I noticed that once in a while the modulation would drop on my radio. I was using the internal meter and it would drop from a around 100% to about 20%-30%. I was curious if it was just the meter so I got in the mobile and sure enough, the modulation would suddenly drop then come back up again. By the way I am using a galaxy 2547 and a turner 454 that I patched together with some cobra parts. The locals say this setup sounds really good. When I got back I took the mic apart and re-did a few solder conections I put it back together and it seemed to work fine. This evening however it worked fine for a few hours then I noticed only once it dropped to almost zero while I was talking it hasn't done it again since but it still bothers me. I would like to know why as I take pride in how my staion sounds and this is unexceptable. My next question is could it be the radio or the mic. I really hope its in the mic but I'm not sure. Could someone give me some ideas? Also I read Rob's threads about good mic sound and was wondering if the mic is the problem should I just buy a high end mic and preamp instead of messing with the one I've got? I am sure my station would sound better if I did.

tale the jumper out of line and use that way for a day or two.
being ya stated it started about that same time.
2/ try another mic. [doesnt have to be a high end mic]i use skythumper 65dx and just love them.
3/if that dont help then maybe radio needs doctor. but only do this as
last resort.and after ya did the first 2

Do you guys think there is anyway it could be the radio? I am thinking maybe there is a short in the mic plug so tommorow I will put a new one on. Anyone else have ideas.

The audio is dropping in and out, chances are high it's the mic wiring or the mic itself.
Start there.

Ok guys I threw on a handmic and it seems to have fixed the problem. I can't seem to find the problem in the desk mic though. The only thing it could be is the element as I have went over all of the wiring. I am thinking on just getting a new mic, I will let you guys know what I decide.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.