• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Moisture proofing radios?

Cutlass327

May 1, 2016
NE Ohio
I was at the local bolt and nut house, and saw they had this spray on the shelf. I've been thru a few stereos and one CB so far, as my CJ5 is not the most waterproof, even with the top on. I was curious if I was to spray this on both sides of the boards inside, if it would help if the windshield dripped or weatherstrip leaked a little.

Any thoughts? I was thinking spraying on my stereo, CB, and other amplifiers I have (audio and non-audio amps)

Attachments

• 0123200909.jpg
    0123200909.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • 0123200910.jpg
    0123200910.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

i used that spray to quiet a humming transformer then used what was left to coat number ten wire i used to make a choke coil it worked for me but water proof a circuit board i guess you would have to experiment with it,,,

If you had a circuit that has been partially assembled you could use a real conformal coating like Dow Corning 2577. I don't know if they still make it or not but it worked good on a lot of the MIL-SPEC equipment. There are some part you do not want to expose to the 2577. The small circular pots that are not hermetically sealed and a long list of capacitors. Those were hand popped after coating.

I've sprayed the distributor, plug wires and electrical connections of some of my old Jeeps with cheap hairspray to keep out moisture. It would probably work just fine on circuit boards, too. I would wait 'til it dries before powering it up, though.

It might keep corrosion off of the solder but the pots on the front of the radio could not be sealed at their shaft. These pots and the switches would be the biggest culprit to begin with in my opinion.

My main concern is the parts behind the dash. I get drips from the air intake box screwed to the bottom of the cowl at times, or the gasket between the windshield frame and cowl seeps. They drip down on the actual workings of the radios at times. I also want to protect from condensation.

Tall order!

Hmm. Well, ever take a look at some of the boards that are put into radios, they are sealed using a spray epoxy/Sealant similar to Tallmans post. It's already there. Unfortunately many parts being sealed with it can no longer ventilate and can possibly build up extensive pressure an potentially explode if passed beyond their electrical limits.

I have several radios here that both Midland and Cobra - using Vertical Board design - that used this spray-on epoxy or shellac equivalent. Applied directly on the boards themselves after insertion and thru the soldering process. It's for the purpose of adhesion, sealing and curing - when they are jolted or put under stress beyond a set limit - these boards withstand the torque, but break the seal - and even lift off the traces of the board from it's edge on connector.

IF you look thru older marine radios - you may see how they designed a grommet and spacer washer system used on shafts and outer surface load bearing places - where dirt and water can collect, they "Gasket off" A simple rubber washer can help - just place or seal the washer to the non-moving side and let the knob or switch rotate past - as long as the part can maintain some contact with the gasket - you're pretty safe.

PC-122 as well as TRC radios used a similar "foam sponge" in switch knockouts to keep dirt out and control moisture. You can't make it air-tight, but anything you can do to help keep water from getting at most of the electronics can help - it's why we have that silly wax museum in the VCO sections of the typical CB.

Also you'll need to address how to keep water that GETS in there, TO DRAIN back out of there and continue on its' way.

That means drip loops in wire looms as well as removing stuff that is Hydrophilic, (water affinity) like paper gaskets, cones and stickers and or slip cover wedges and shims to keep down rattles. Yes, even Speakers, they have to be swapped out for polycarbonate or plastic cone types to keep moisture or water from direct entry into the cavity.

It's never easy, and why these types of moisture / Shower proof radios and such are so expensive - unless it can be sealed completely with one big giant rubber gasket or ball - you are at the mercy of the elements that can work their way into your stuff you're trying to keep from getting it.

My main concern is the parts behind the dash. I get drips from the air intake box screwed to the bottom of the cowl at times, or the gasket between the windshield frame and cowl seeps. They drip down on the actual workings of the radios at times. I also want to protect from condensation.
You might make a plastic or metal diverter, to direct the drips to somewhere other than the radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.