• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Moonraker IV

Durrell

Junk Man
Oct 15, 2011
Bought a Moonraker IV off Craigslist last fall with the intention to rebuild. After looking it over, half the hubs were cracked, and the gammas are junk. I have enough Maco elements, gammas and hardware to build a 4 element Quagi using the Moonraker boom. I haven't been able to find any info on doing this. Can someone please steer me in the right direction? Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Reflector will basically be the same and the rest of the elements will be like a yagi as per specs, google is your friend here, many online calculators.

Your welcome.

I never was a fan of the quagi. they do work but a regular 1/2 wl reflector works just as well and does not have the wind load of a Quad reflector.

Your welcome.

I never was a fan of the quagi. they do work but a regular 1/2 wl reflector works just as well and does not have the wind load of a Quad reflector.

Durrell, I've never built or worked a quagi, but I have modeled one, and I find the reflector is best when it is much further away from the driven element, vs what I get using a regular yagi type element.

I did the attached models in Free Space in order to minimize losses and ground affects. The hand written figure is for the spacing of the Re to Dr. I also did not add captions to these models, so disregard them all showing the same titles.

Although I have not tweaked these models for max gain, rejection, or resonance, I tend to agree with wavrider the standard reflector is probably better, but this would require some extensive real world testing to be factual.

View attachment Durrell's idea.pdf

Bought a Moonraker IV off Craigslist last fall with the intention to rebuild. After looking it over, half the hubs were cracked, and the gammas are junk. I have enough Maco elements, gammas and hardware to build a 4 element Quagi using the Moonraker boom. I haven't been able to find any info on doing this. Can someone please steer me in the right direction? Thanks.

I picked up a brand new MR4 the other day! Someone has taken part of the boom, but the plastic bag of parts is unopened and like I said this has never been assembled!
If your interested in some of the parts I would do some trading to get you up and running! :whistle:

Durrell, I've never built or worked a quagi, but I have modeled one, and I find the reflector is best when it is much further away from the driven element, vs what I get using a regular yagi type element.

I did the attached models in Free Space in order to minimize losses and ground affects. The hand written figure is for the spacing of the Re to Dr. I also did not add captions to these models, so disregard them all showing the same titles.

Although I have not tweaked these models for max gain, rejection, or resonance, I tend to agree with wavrider the standard reflector is probably better, but this would require some extensive real world testing to be factual.

View attachment 6687

Thanks Marconi! Your help is much appreciated.
Wind load is a factor. I live in middle Tennessee and we are having a lot of high straight line winds. I had a set up in the late 70's and i seem to remember having some problems with the wire reflector,but what i remember most is the match giving me fits!
Again many thanks.

I picked up a brand new MR4 the other day! Someone has taken part of the boom, but the plastic bag of parts is unopened and like I said this has never been assembled!
If your interested in some of the parts I would do some trading to get you up and running! :whistle:

Thanks IRock817.
If i decide to rebuild the Moonraker i will be intrested.

Thanks for the link hookedon6!
That site has some really good info.

you're welcome,..... the good info is from the links on the left side, some of the article I don't agree with 100%

here is another link.................. beware there are some "attitudes" in it, but then , some of the "players' were sent to band camp:) quad reflector versus yagi reflector - Page 2

what part of middle TN are you in? I spend my summers there

you're welcome,..... the good info is from the links on the left side, some of the article I don't agree with 100%

here is another link.................. beware there are some "attitudes" in it, but then , some of the "players' were sent to band camp:) quad reflector versus yagi reflector - Page 2

what part of middle TN are you in? I spend my summers there

Thanks for the link hookedon6!
I live appx. 20 miles east of nashville.

The hubs are cracked where there bolt goes through and the tabs broken .The fix is very easy cut two pieces of angle iron and put through each of the bolts holding elements and put a bolt trough the angle iron and tighten bolt and then pin the hub to boom and it will never move !!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.