• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mosley CB Antennas

Hmmm. Copied from the second of the two hyperlinks above:

(ii) The other test is an Antenna- Mast System Test (§ 1204.4(e) of this subpart) which is intended to determine whether the means provided to protect against electrocution will withstand the stress imposed when an antenna-mast system falls onto a power line. This test consists of mounting the antenna to be tested on a specified mast and allowing the assembled antenna and mast to fall onto a power line of 14,500 volts rms phase to ground.

Only a fiberglass antenna will pass that test. This requirement is what started the rumor that metal antennas are "outlawed".

Only if they're sold as a consumer product.

I have never owned or used a Mosley CB Antenna but I have a Mosley TA-53M (5) Band HF Yagi that kicks butt. I have a TA-33Jr before it that was given to me by the family of a local SK & he had used it for over 20 years before he passed away. I used it for 4 or 5 more years & it has been to two other owners since then & is still in service. The antennas will outlast you & three or four more of your future family members. The First TA-33 was built in 1955 & any company that has been building antennas that long would not still be in business if they built JUNK. My TA-53M has been thru many Hurricanes & Tropical Storms here in North Florida & even a heavy Ice Storm in 2018 that took down power lines & trees all over the area & it still works like new. I have several other locals who also own Mosley yagis & like me they love them & they have weathered those same storms with ZERO issues. I would not hesitate if I needed another HF Yagi it would be another Mosley without a doubt. Built like a tank & they get you thru the pileups & outlast any antennas I have ever seen. They also build many antennas for the Military & have for many years.

SIX-SHOOTER

The regulation - which will require warning labels, safety installation instructions, and written information on hazards- will affect an estimated 150 manufacturers of citizen band (CB) base station antennas, television antennas, and certain antenna supporting structures.
CPSC estimates that the cost of labels and installation instructions to the manufacturer will be between 10¢ and 35¢ per product item with a probable increase in the retail price of approximately $1 per unit. CPSC believes that the cost is justified in view of the severe nature of the hazard associated with these products.

That's not a law that would pertain just to CB antennas. Any insulation that would be sufficient to protect from the main line voltages would make it too heavy to put up.
7000 volts will find any flaw in the insulation and roast you.
That notice is a precautionary statement to get the manufacturer off of the hook should you make accidental contact with the power lines.

They just don’t want credit for the resulting light show. (I am humbled)

Reactions: Tallman
Pretty sure the workaround for this is to label and market it as a "commercial" antenna. ..edit...
The theory is that a "CB" antenna is a consumer product, and comes under the jurisdiction of the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

A commercial antenna does not. Pretty sure an "amateur" antenna doesn't, either.

Actually CFR 1204.2 (5) cites the consumer product safety act sec 3 (a)(1) which clearly defines an OMNI CB antenna as a Consumer product.

Simply calling it a "commercial" antenna doesn't make it legal.

The only metal CB antennas that can be legally sold are directional beam type antennas.

Reactions: Slowmover
Actually CFR 1204.2 (5) cites the consumer product safety act sec 3 (a)(1) which clearly defines an OMNI CB antenna as a Consumer product.

Simply calling it a "commercial" antenna doesn't make it legal.

The only metal CB antennas that can be legally sold are directional beam type antennas.
It is a matter of semantics, New, Improved, Heavy Duty. Which in many cases means nothing. Antennas, high gain, efficient, as compared to what? It seems they are barking up the wrong tree again. Trying to lift a beam antenna with rotater on a pole is a lot more difficult than a ground plane.

Actually the wording is quite specific and clear.
Marketing can always find a way around an obstacle. Change all of the screws to specially processed stainless steel and call it commercial grade and Viola! You now have a commercial grade antenna free of the insulation. This sounds like the HOA's attack from the backside.

Reactions: Robb
it's pretty obvious that you didn't actually read the cited reference.

those things blocking your view of the forest,............they are called trees.

I'm out

Reactions: Tallman
actually the workaround is selling the metal antenna as a 10 meter antenna,,, as mfj is doing with the bring back of the penetrator and the 3 and 4 element beams that they list as 10 meter but wink wink they are marketed for cbers,,,,

When making electronics for aircraft when we changed a minor item we had to submit it for another TSO-C73 approval. It usually ended up that we would have to add a dash number to the main part number. We would have to duplicate all of the documentation of the base model adding it as a revision "A" level with the designation of -001.
Even for something as simple as changing a connector on the exterior.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.