• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Motor maul

Hitman 043

May 22, 2006
Can someone please help me figure out why I can run a davemade 8 pill like crazy and hold my volts, but when I run my 16 pill davemade I can key at 20 volts down to 14 volts and it will snatch my volts back to 14 volts. My motormaul is a 400 amp Fatboy/EX-Force. I have six full size(2ft.x1ft.)1400cca bus batteries. All the batteries have been load tested. The batteries are not the problem.I've added a load of .01 caps to the inside of the 16 pill, but that didn't help either. Could this be a case of rf getting into my motormaul?
Someone please help me. I am a superbowl warrior, and I need all that I can get.

Thanks,
Hitman 043
DaddyNature@msn.com

I think I would want to be running 400 amps of alternator if I was going to try to be a superbowl warrior. Motormauls seem to be ok for smaller amps or short key ups but if your long winded or running an amp that draws serious amps like a 16 pill most mauls will have a hard time keeping up.

Motormaul

Mr Highroller,
You are absolutely correct about running alternators instead of a motormaul.Before I sold my suburban I removed one of my 270ampers and I have another one that I haven't used. They are both AC external regulated and I have a pony express rectifier. The problem is, I bought a chevy van that doesn't have much room under the hood. I can't see how these 2 large case alternators would fit. That is why I broke down and gave Fatboy $800.00 Hard earned, secret kept from my wife bucks for the motormaul.--- I sure hate to have to buy another suburban, or maybe a 1988 Dodge ramcharger to get my watts.
Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Hitman 043
DaddyNature@msn.com

You might check out blue ghost's site he makes pulleys for extra belts and I think he has a bracket for 2 alts for vans that places the alts under the crank pulley. This might be worth checking into.

my 400 maul had been modified, transistors added and it still dont hold a solid 20 v. i dont care im not keying down in comps. and i get out just as well at 17 volts.

bighammer said:
my 400 maul had been modified, transistors added and it still dont hold a solid 20 v. i dont care im not keying down in comps. and i get out just as well at 17 volts.

When you key it takes the 12v batteries and puts them in series for 24v.
Then it regulates it down to what you set it at.
In your case 20v. It wont hold too long because you are
draining the batteries really fast at that high of a voltage.

lib thats right. But when you have 3 8d batts per bank( 6 total) this isnt an issue for the first few keys. Im talking first 2 keys dont hold 20 on fully topped batteries. i have one last thing to do to my maul to see if it helps. Ill post back

i added a second driver transistor ( normal is one ) extra 4 transistors so total of 24. if i use a battery charger to top off the batts overnight i can hold 19 volt. but only for about 10 seconds. then 17 tops.

it was better when the batts were new. as they get used they loose some of their umph.

in amp load testing i found that the maul pulls almost as many amps as the amp is. so 400 would be about 370 off the batts.

also you NEED to have a high output alt with a maul, he factory alt wouldnt keep the charging volts high enough which wouldnt top off the batts. 250 amp will charge at 14.3 to 14.4 which is enough to top off the batts much better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.