• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Motorola cm550 audio mod

Smack32

Aug 26, 2023
Hi all.. I just pickedup a Motorola CM-550 ssb radio
Its in fantastic shape .. Totally virgin ..
I'd like to openup the audio .. It's doing 4 to 5 dead key. But low audio
Can't find any info on this.. Like to set it up for by brother to use..
Can anyone help as to what to do or look for..
Thank You

Are you using the standard Motorola Mic?
Its been a while but If i remember right it uses voltage supplied by the radio to power the amp board in the Mic.
I think it is the same board as the CB 555.

Jeff

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Web search shows a old thread here about the 550.
NZ8N's posts confirm powered Mic and CB 555 board.
Also the Sam's issue number.

Jeff

Are you using the standard Motorola Mic?
Its been a while but If i remember right it uses voltage supplied by the radio to power the amp board in the Mic.
I think it is the same board as the CB 555.

Jeff
Tried the stock Motorola mic and a astatic power mic.. Same issue .. I have 2 550s tried comparing but couldn't finf anything the 550 I had is great sounding had it peaked back in the 80s. The tech is no longer with us that did it.. I'm not familiar with Motorola products ..
Not sure if it's a pot.. Transistor diod resistor that has to be molded. Don't want to ruin anything it's a virgin radio in mint condition . Just want to get the audio opened up.. Give it to my brother with a cs-1 to use as a base

Look here.
Link Posted by Brandon in your other thread.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted