• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Motorola HT200

secret squirrel

Lustrous Potentate
Oct 5, 2008
Washington, PA
Anybody have the ambition to do work on a Motorola HT 200. Please let me know. The tech I used in Ocala FL for the old Motorola stuff retired. I have one that is crystaled 155.295, our local ambulance frequency. Of course with the narrow band VHF. Its useless to transmit. I want to use it just as a monitor. I had a 9-volt connector soldered to the battery terminals. if I calculated correct the 9 volts should drive the receiver only. I want the PTT disconnected. the antenna connector changed to BNC. Have it gone over for function. The does squelch is scratchy. Thanks all. Over the years as a paramedic I picked up some old Handi Talkies. I carried an HT600 and MT1000 for years until narrow banding. Never got the hang of the little China Made radios. I liked the ability to know I can use my portable at a wheel chuck if needed.

Last edited:

If it seems to work ok on receive I wouldn't worry much about having it gone over for function which is just checking the alignment of the receiver,
I wouldn't think disabling the PTT would be very hard but you could just take out the transmit crystal if it appears easier to do assuming you just want to disable the transmitter.
I would find the correct battery and charger for it.
I wouldn't change to a BNC. That could be a real hack job. I'd get the right rubber duck antenna for it and also the telescoping whip for it. I think it is the same as an HT220 and the telescoping whip retracts all the way into the radio when not in use which is nice. There is also an adapter that Motorola has (had) for using an external antenna. I still have one around here somewhere from the early 70's 2 meter handheld "Touch Tone Follies" days. It is an adapter that has a BNC connector on it.
I would WAY rather have an HT220 Slimline than an HT200!

There is usually a lot of this stuff on Ebay and these days it all goes pretty cheap. Probably a lot of info on the HT200 if you search for it. Check groups.io for a users group for the HT200 the HT220 or similar groups. Probably a lot of people there can help you out if nothing promising shows up here.

The scratchy squelch control is probably just a dirty pot and need a shot of cleaner.

The nostalgia of having these old rigs can be fun but also very limiting in functions and usability. There are a lot of older analog only handheld scanners out there that go pretty cheap used but are decent hand size units and you can program a few other things in them that can be nice to listen to as well. Ya just gotta get past the nostalgia thing.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.