• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Motorola xpr 6550

One other thing about Motorola radios...The VHF and UHF radios have completely different RF PA's and amps in them. Trying to get one to do the others freq band will most likely end up in a short life of the PA.

Like i said i tried to do a hack to get the radio to key lower than 450mhz and it didn't like it. I bought the radio for a reasionable price and to my surprise it worked except it was 450-512mhz unfortunately no good for my use, instead found a hack on a reputiable forum (wont mention here) and i guess i didn't do it right or maybe it was because i found a free cps download and used that ? Good news is you posted that site and when i have time ill give them a ring on the telephone(y)

Like i said i tried to do a hack to get the radio to key lower than 450mhz and it didn't like it.

Ahhh...now I see the sparks...err light :) You were trying to open it up to get into the amateur band area as well as the commercial band. I know the HT750 I have Frankensteined from 3 non working radios will work on the Ham band as well as the commercial band without having to hack it.

I just looked up the specs on that radio....It's "supposed to" have a freq range from 403-470 MHz. You shouldn't have to hack it to open up the TX range of the radio. everyone I've programmed out of the box that is able to be programmed into the Ham band will TX on it as well. If the freq is out of range it wont let you even program it in. If you can program it in you will be able to TX without mods.
I remember some of the older Radius radios I think, you had to enter the freq using the shift and number so it came up !$#.%^)) for 143.5600 to fool it but it worked and you could use it. I don't think any of the new radios have this little work around still in them.
Hope you get it working again.

Ahhh...now I see the sparks...err light :) You were trying to open it up to get into the amateur band area as well as the commercial band. I know the HT750 I have Frankensteined from 3 non working radios will work on the Ham band as well as the commercial band without having to hack it.

I just looked up the specs on that radio....It's "supposed to" have a freq range from 403-470 MHz. You shouldn't have to hack it to open up the TX range of the radio. everyone I've programmed out of the box that is able to be programmed into the Ham band will TX on it as well. If the freq is out of range it wont let you even program it in. If you can program it in you will be able to TX without mods.
I remember some of the older Radius radios I think, you had to enter the freq using the shift and number so it came up !$#.%^)) for 143.5600 to fool it but it worked and you could use it. I don't think any of the new radios have this little work around still in them.
Hope you get it working again.

Yea i was hoping what i got was 403- but nope. Anyways i would might rather purchase a p25 radio xts2500i or xts5000 but waiting for the right deal jeh i even would settle with the ef Johnson 5100sl but efj software is very $ & no pirate sw to d/l.

Almost sounds like it was "inhibited". Smartnet/Smartzone radios can be, not sure about Mototrbo.

If radio was stolen, radio system manager can send out an "inhibit" signal, which turns radio into a brick. Can only be uninhibited from system that inhibited it. Or replace controller board.

Almost sounds like it was "inhibited". Smartnet/Smartzone radios can be, not sure about Mototrbo.

If radio was stolen, radio system manager can send out an "inhibit" signal, which turns radio into a brick. Can only be uninhibited from system that inhibited it. Or replace controller board.
edit
Just went to a local ham who deals with motorola radios and the radio is back to normal but he said not to use pirated software again. He programmed up dmr and analog stuff but i can't go below 435mhz. Maybe ill stick it on eBay or trade for another mototrbo...

Last edited:

That only works if it's on a trunked system. If you never try to log into the trunked network and only use local repeaters or simplex freq it will never get the stun or kill command.

That only works if it's on a trunked system. If you never try to log into the trunked network and only use local repeaters or simplex freq it will never get the stun or kill command.

Yuppers. I always thought one could buy a p25 radio ie;xts efj or kenwood and set it up to rx lapd but....if one did that say goodbye to the radio and possibly angry black ops to show up at your door or location :rolleyes:
Radio wasn't on a trunked system all of the stuff preprogrammed was simplex. Anyways radio is working great I'm happy. Now time to find a xts2500i to do some p25 voice and texting !(y)

Yuppers. I always thought one could buy a p25 radio ie;xts efj or kenwood and set it up to rx lapd but....if one did that say goodbye to the radio and possibly angry black ops to show up at your door or location :rolleyes:

You can still program in the PD freq into it but just make sure it's setup for RX only. Not sure about your local PD but most are running off local repeaters and not a trunked system. It's not illegal to listen to them but TX'n on their freq even in an emergency IS. I heard of a guy that used a ham radio with the PD freq in it to call for help when they got into a wreck out of cell coverage. They were rescued but were charged will illegal use of the freq and fined as a result of it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.