• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mounting 102" whip

thetnhillbilly

Jun 28, 2006
Tennessee, U.S.A.
I'm wanting to jump up to a 102" whip, but want to figure out a plan for mounting it on my crown vic first. The roof would make it a little too high, but the center of the trunk seems like a good second choice. With the antenna height and another 3' for the trunk height, 11.5' will clear everything the 12'3" box on my truck can. My question is- do I have to use a ball mount or are there other good options like a stud that would be strong enough? I would rather drill one hole rather than four for a ball. I read somewhere (don't remember where) that using an old saw blade on the underside would keep the car panel from flexing. Have you heard of that? I'm still learning and all comments and advice are welcome.

ya saw blade or a square piece to improve strength its all good.

and ya there is lots of other option's rather than ball mount or spring to get close to 108". <<< hockey puck and 2-4 inch riser. what ever it takes to get you were you want your resonant freq. to be.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably go with a dome mount, I like it. Back to my question about the saw blade or other reinforcement; how would that affect the grounding of the antenna? Is there anything I shoult try or try to avoid?

Using something (saw blade) to reinforce the sheet metal on a vehicle should have no affect at all on grounding. Sanding down to bare metal between sheet metal and saw blade wouldn't hurt. What to avoid? Dodges...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.