• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Moxon or MA5B Mini Beam ?

116sd019

Feb 19, 2008
Hi i need advice to this two choosing. I want directional and good performance antenna. Im long time use dipol and long wire antenna. Im very compliniant QRM. 14 mhz. has 7-9 signal noise i need quite antenna. MA5B Minibeam very good antenna i think but expensive for me. I like also moxon antenna its sample made it. I cant to part about 500 euro MA5B. How is your choosing ? MOXON Chep ? MA5B big money. ?

For me the choice would be more on whether or not I felt like dealing with trying to rotate a home made moxon. I'm guessing that a standard moxon for 20m is going to be around 25' wide? There are a few plans around for reduced size moxons that might be easier to rotate. If you don't want to rotate the antenna, then I would just go with the cheap solution.

The MA5B works. Everything works. The advantage of the MA5B is that it is a multi band antenna. Other than the fact that it works, it is only an OK antenna......nothing special. However, i would recommend it to you based on your last two posts.

The Moxon is a much better antenna but is a monoband antenna. You can download a free program that gives you the dimensions to make one, but you are on your own for mechanical support.

AC6LA MoxGen

Go to Google and type in MOXON and you will find all kinds of info out there.

I can't compare the MA5B to the Moxon, as I don't have the latter but I have a Cobra Ultra-Lite and the MA5B is much better than the Cobra, despite its length (140 feet or so). Is it due to the MA5B being a little higher? Possible. Being rotatable definitely helps. But when I switch from the MA5B to the Cobra, stations I've been hearing and talking to disappear and reappear magically when I switch back to the MA5B. For me, it was well worth the price. While not inexpensive, compared to other antennas, it is very competitive. Size-wise, it passed the XYL test, which is a miracle too. I hope this helps you in making your decision. Now I've mostly been operating on 20m and 15m, as it is difficult to find openings on the other bands as the solar cycle is still very low.

yes, it doesn't even have to be a "heavy duty" rotor.
i have a ma5b and tuning is critical... pay close attention to the instructions. changing one adjustment WILL affect other setttings. varying the height will also have a major affect on settings. i'm not trying to downplay the ma5b, just trying to give you info

well, now i know that the $150.00 price for a gently used (9 months) MA5B for a quick up directional hf antenna. That will go up on my existing tower, since i already have a cobra sr. up also.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.