• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MURS

You are restricted to 2 watts on MURS. You don't have antenna restrictions though.

As with all VHF/UHF frequencies, you are basically restricted to line of sight. If you can see it, you can work it!

There have been a few MURS capable radios from Radio Shack, Tek, and others. The only person making a MURS radio is Dakota Alert. I'd say the MAJORITY of MURS users are using converted ham radios. A real popular one is the Icom V8000 at 70 watts. Sure it's not legal, but who on this forum is running legal on anything? :twisted:

You have a TON of options for antennas however!

If it was me, I'd look at the Vertex FT-60R. At 5 watts, it puts out TWICE the legal power of MURS. Plus, you pick up all the FRS/GMRS frequencies too. You need a license to talk on GMRS.

Average range = 10 miles
It is a good service even with all the restrictions (output power, bandwidth, et al)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MURS-OPEN/

thanks

thanks i have 4 MURS hand helds with only 1 freq in them but i plan to get a new MURS for5 the base here. i know the leagle limit is 2 watts but i know that people on this forum are never running legal radios and equiptmen. i have been looking at an old bussness radio putting out 60 watts - chong

its not illegal unless your cought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Get your NCT(No Code Technician) licence, and you can work repeaters and play with MURS. I hear nothing on the MURS channels around here. I might change that :twisted:

There is a few businesses running those freaquencies and seeing as how they were there first they are alowed to run more than two watts. would not even worry to much about the power output anyway as long as you dont screw around and draw attention to yourself.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.