1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

My 10 amp radio shack power supply is putting out 24 volts!

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by red97k1500, Nov 2, 2019.

1. red97k1500

red97k1500 Active Member

im plugged my uniden 980 and my anytone 5555n both into it before I turned it off... I knew something was wrong because neither radio had any receive. I don’t think it hurt them... but what are some of the things that it could fry if you plug a radio into 24volts for about 20 seconds?

2. Recon

Recon NY 881

The fuses on the radios didn't blow?

3. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

The 8 volt regulator might have a hard time.

4. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

RED97 -
    Looks like your the pass transistor(s) in your power supply have an emitter-collector short. If you're lucky your radios survived. Shadetree is correct that your voltage regs in the radios may have bit the dust. Good luck.

Tallman and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  5. red97k1500

red97k1500 Active Member

No it did not blow the fuses.... I’m using one of those Workman heavy duty power cords that has a fuse on both negative and positive wires. And neither fuse blew I can’t tell how many amps the fuse is for.... but I did not change them out for bigger ones

357magnum likes this.
  6. red97k1500

red97k1500 Active Member

I got out my megawatt 30 amp switching power supply, and hooked both radios back up, they both still transmit, and both still seem to have receive, so I guess they survived..... for now at least.....
    it was the perfect storm of scenarios, I just got done putting up my Antron 99 in the back yard of the house I just bought and moved into.....so I’m all excited and can’t wait to hook up the antenna, and hear all that dx. So when I turn the radio on I have no receive at all no audio coming out the speaker, so what do i do, I hook up another radio and it has the exact same problem no audio at all coming out the speaker.... that’s when I suddenly think there might be something wrong with the power supply and turn it off.

Oh well I might have doged a bullet, so far I can’t tell that it hurt them.

Woody-202, S&W357, 357magnum and 2 others like this.
  7. Onelasttime

Onelasttime Well-Known Member

Voltage regulators might have taken a hit and normaly there will be a tiny little diode on the board that will have popped. One of two things happens these tiny diodes vaporize or they look pristine. Voltage regulators are cheap and easy to test in circuit. So start at the most obvious and work out. If you were not keyed you are prob. not into expensive or complicated territory.

8. newoldguy

newoldguy New Member

agree with Onelasttime i have experienced the same voltage jump and everytime it has been the 2n3055 regulators in the power supply

midnight special and Tallman like this.
  9. Chevboy0167

Chevboy0167 Well-Known Member

For this reason is why I have installed an inline crowbar circuit from all of my power supplies and 12v DC power strips. A simple 2 fuse and 1 diode circuit in a small project box for peace of mind.