• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My 1st handheld

I have 2 of the Baofeng's the UV 5R, and UV-B5, and I have the Wouxun KG UV6D . I like all 3 of them, but the Wouxun performs better in my opinion on both bands. I put all 3 radios in the identical same spot, with the same antenna, (Nagoya 771) and the Wouxun hears much better than the Baofeng's do. It's a very noticable difference on the receiver.

One thing I've noticed on Baofeng's and almost everyone says this, and that is when the volume knob is all the way down, almost off, the volume is still loud enough to hear in the next room, where the Wouxon is totally silent when the volume is all the way down and that just shows me the quality of a $45 radio as opposed to the $180 Wouxun. The Baofeng works, but it's like putting a Chevy next to a Lincoln or Cadillac, they both get you where youre going. The Baofeng radios are very inconsistent, most of them have display problems when the radio gets hot the display gets all blurry until it cools down, thats a very common issue, the volume not going all the way down is another common issue but they do work, and get the job done which is why they are selling by the boat load for $45 bucks each. Hopefully if you buy one , you'll get one of good ones.

One thing I've noticed on Baofeng's and almost everyone says this, and that is when the volume knob is all the way down, almost off, the volume is still loud enough to hear in the next room, where the Wouxon is totally silent when the volume is all the way down and that just shows me the quality of a $45 radio as opposed to the $180 Wouxun.
Yes mine does suffer form this issue as well but it my understanding that newer versions with different firmware do not exhibit this problem. It is highly possible I got a dud Wouxun but as I said it was deaf on UHF compared to the Boafeng.

The uv-5re that I have dosen't appear to suffer from any of the before mentioned issues. the volume goes all the way down and the desplay dosen't appear to be bothered by heat.

In the end the only thing that matters is that you are heard and heard well. For what the Boafengs do for the price isn't bad. However for the price of the Wouxon I would just get a Yeasu or Kenwood.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.