• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My 1st handheld

rockenranger

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 17, 2011
I am looking to get my 1st handheld. What would be a good handheld to start out with. Would like a dual or tri band. Like to keep it around 100-150.00 thanks for the info

I recently picked up a Baofeng UV-5R, and a UV-5R Plus. These are dual band units, covering 2 meters and 440 (70cm). The 5R was 36 dollars with a charger, the 5R Plus was around 48 bucks. That is the price to my door, by the way. The Plus has a nicer case and feels a little heftier, but the internals are pretty much exactly the same. A small difference in the software, but not enough for me to tell. I used CHIRP to program them, and it was easy. These are my first HT's, and I am looking to get my Tech license soon, so I thought it would be nice to not spend a couple hundred bucks on one. Once I get my ticket, I plan on doing most of my QSO's from home or the vehicle, so I'll be buying a higher quality mobile unit for that. While I don't have anything to compare them to, they sure seem to work well. I've listened to a lot of conversations on repeaters in/around the Dallas area with no problems. I've heard others say this model is actually their favorite HT, and they had used Yaesu/Kenwood/Icom units in the past.

RT307

I'm not aware of a tri-bander in that price range.

I've tried a number of the Chinese dual band HT's and would much rather pay the extra money for a Wouxun over a Baofeng. Don't get me wrong, the Baofeng's sound great and have a lot of features for the price, but programming and getting it to HOLD the programming (without it re-setting itself) has been problematic, as you'll see if you run some searches on the subject.

I've got several Wouxun's and they've proven to be just about bulletproof. If you do your homework, you can put their latest model (KGUV6X) on your doorstep, complete with programming cable, AC charger and 12v car adapter for under $160. This one is waterproof, as well as having an honest narrow band tuning step. Well worth the money IMO.

My vote is for the Wouxun. They are the best of the Chinese units, and better than a lot of other choices, as well.

Reactions: 1 person
I've never owned the Wouxun; but what those that own them tell me that there is no problem with either programming them manually or with the cable/computer. For a first-time buyer that doesn't want to mess with a radio; sounds like the ticket to me.

But if you don't mind pulling out some hair to make the Baofeng work, you might think it is was some fun as I did. It takes some getting used to. The other reason I bought the Baofeng, is that I was a first-timer buyer too and didn't want to spend a lot. The Baofeng was a bit more trouble to get to work right than I first thought, but it also proved to be a decent radio in the long run. That is; so long as you get the programming cable with it and program it that way. It's a giant killer.

Last edited:
I own the Wouxun and the Baofeng UV5R. Their both good radios, but I like the Baofeng better. It's heavy duty and has the high capacity battery as an option. Programming is not an issue with either radio when using the cable. I've never experienced any radio losing it's programming.

Last edited:
I have two of the Wouxuns, a 'UV-2D' and a 'UV-6D'. They both do what's claimed for them, nothing 'special', just bare-bones HTs.
The UV-6's antenna was slightly better than the UV-2's, nothing hugely better, but slightly. I'd recommend an after market 1/4 wave as an accessory along with an extra battery.
They both have a 'plus' for me with the Part-90 certification. That's not something that's really necessary for amateur use, so if you don't have a particular need for it it's useless to you. I also don't use an HT very much so the price was a really nice thing!
Now for the 'bad' part.
These HTs are the PITA to program by 'hand'! I had to 'learn' how to do it to start with because I didn't get the software (free) or programming cable when I bought the first one. Get the programming cable and software!! There's a world of difference. If I had to do it by hand I'd be up that famous creek with no paddle OR boat, you know?
If they suit your purposes then they are certainly a viable option when selecting an HT. If not, then look at something else.
- 'Doc

(These things started as a 'commercial' radio, not just for amateur use, so expect them not to be the same as other 'ham radios'.)

I think they would be usable as a 'first' HT. I don't think an HT is a good choice as a 'first' radio, big difference!

Handhelds do have their place ,but they are very limited as to their range unless you live in a city where there is a few machines within the city limits.

If you are like me and live in the backwoods you will be lucky to have 1 or 2 machines within range ( this is my case )....

But I did get a handheld and I do use it when I can.

After alot of reading over all the choices of handhelds I decided on the Yaesu FT 60.Duel bander 144/430 mhz ,5 watts output easy to program and the price was around 160$ .

I looked at teh Chinese radios,for my taste they just havent been out there long enough to see how durable they are going to be

I would definitely get a wouxun kg-uv6d. This radio packs really good bang for the buck. It performs beautifully and I get good audio reports from everyone who receives my signal.

The Baofeng UV-5R is one of the best deals available right now. Pick one up on Amazon for $45. Why pay 4x that for essentially the same thing?
It is dual band, and works great for getting your "feet wet" and playing with local repeaters and simplex.

I own the Wouxun and the Baofeng UV5R. Their both good radios, but I like the Baofeng better. It's heavy duty and has the high capacity battery as an option. Programming is not an issue with either radio when using the cable. I've never experienced any radio losing it's programming.

I am the same way, just gave away my Wouxun and kept the Baofeng. The UV-5r has a hotter receiver, yes its less rejective. On 440 the Baofeng blew away the Wouxun as the Wouxun was deaf on uhf compared to the UV-5R.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.