• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My base station coming together!

AmericanEagle575

Supporting Sr. Member WDX-1863
Feb 17, 2016
Bellefonte,Pennsylvania
Good evening Radio Friends, Well this is a pic of my base station coming together slowly, A Ranger 2950 hooked up to a 25 amp power supply,a Radio shack pro 652 digital scanner and a shortwave radio!! I have on order a brand new Antron 99 antenna coming,and I already have 50 feet of rg8 cable on hand, going to go to home Depot on my day off and get a 5 foot mast pole and bracket holder's!! If any has any advice to offer,please feel free!! Trying to keep busy since my Mom just passed away this past,I ask for your Prayers please,Thank you and God Bless you all!! IMG_20200727_174955448.jpg
IMG_20200727_174955448.jpg

I'd buy the 10' top rail post. It's like $13 back in fence dept. get you antenna up a bit. Unless your already going to be on a roof height.
Its going to be mounted on top of my parent's house ,the roof height is approximately 25 feet off the ground, do they sell 5 foot lengths of that rail post or can I get it cut for length? Its going to be mounted to a cast iron vent pipe that comes out of the roof( I used it before in the 90's when I had a base back then)

Reactions: Slowmover and CB590
They come in 10' for the 1 1/4" diameter. I don't know if they sell it in 5'.

keep in mind the A99 u bolts for mounting only go to I think to 1 1/2". So keep that in mind. I used 2 of the top rails. But use like 4 wall brackets and bolted to my house wall.

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
Good evening Radio Friends, Well this is a pic of my base station coming together slowly, A Ranger 2950 hooked up to a 25 amp power supply,a Radio shack pro 652 digital scanner and a shortwave radio!! I have on order a brand new Antron 99 antenna coming,and I already have 50 feet of rg8 cable on hand, going to go to home Depot on my day off and get a 5 foot mast pole and bracket holder's!! If any has any advice to offer,please feel free!! Trying to keep busy since my Mom just passed away this past,I ask for your Prayers please,Thank you and God Bless you all!!View attachment 39163 View attachment 39163

I'm sorry for your loss and prayers for your healing there friend.
Looks like you've got a good set up going so far. Keep us posted as it comes along. Many good folks in here with a plethora of knowledge to share.

IMG_20200731_071414338.jpg IMG_20200731_170147887.jpg Thank you for your thoughts and Prayers ,Well good evening, here's some pics of the mounting mast that I got at Lowe's,it was a 8 foot 16 gauge steel top rail fencing I got for $13 , the Antron 99 I got off eBay for $115& free shipping,I also got a pair of heavy duty mast clamps for vent pipes off Amazon,and the last photo shows where I'll be mounting the mast and antenna at, a 4 foot cast iron vent pipe that runs right to the bottom of the house( my parents house was built in 1945) and I have used it before so I know it's solid!! Now just got to find the time between work and dealing with the passing of my Mom to get it all together!! I have a question to ask my radio friends?? Would it be okay to use a 2 years old RG 8 cable 50 foot length( hasn't been exposed to the elements at all out side),or should I start out with completely brand new cable and a lower loss kind( I believe the complete entire run from antenna to radio will be under 75 feet total,just eyeballing it at the moment) would appreciate any advice!!

Sorry for your loss my Friend. I'm in the process of building my base station as well. I plan on climbing up on my roof tomorrow morning and taking down an old TV antenna and mounting up my A99 antenna. I'll have to start my own thread and post some pictures. Good luck getting yours together.

Reactions: S&W357
Use the Old Cable If its Still Good Take Your Time Do it Right The Frist Time ! Be Safe Have Fun .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated