• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My contribution about lighting protection

KF5FUR

Mar 28, 2010
Republic of Texas
I'll start by saying, this is basically a never ending quest for knowledge for me. I don't know everything about it but am still learning, not that man knows everything about it either. Also my quest is to find a better solution to a tower lightning strike shunt system for the everyman's wallet. Now I will begin to say I think the principle behind the multiple type protection system is a place to start. I was thinking the primary protection could be a large breaker like mechanical kick off arm. But that only would prevent the peak of the surge from getting through, you would need a shunt to divert the beginning of the surge (that is not powerful enough to open the breaker). But the shunt would also provide a low resistance path for the energy. It's commonly recommended to have 8ft of electrode in the ground of a Cu plated Zinc rod. But for a tower system I would recommend a 20-75ft stainless steel rod, depending on the towers height. These can be driven with a light electric jack hammer with the proper attachment if the rod is not too long, but a longer rod will need a commercial pile driver type or like machine. The depth will also be determined by the soils type and average annual moisture content. If I am correct acidic soils resistance is greater than base and alkaline type soils. So a soil test kit can be picked up, a good move may be to also test the soil when erecting a tower and testing the lowest dug out soil is a good move to determine depth of electrode. Basic electrode layout should include (at the least), each leg of the tower as close as possible to the tower, avoiding right angles in the bonding wire, gentle radii, and tight mechanical bonding, no brazing of soldering for major bonding points. It is recommended to use silicon-Bronze mechanical connectors and tinned copper conductors. The mechanical bonding can prevent loosening over time due to wind induced vibrations, especially through guy wires. All bonding points will greatly benefit from corrosion resistant paint. But not on any contact points.

a6137_fig_6.jpg a6137_fig_12.jpg a6137_fig_15.jpg a6137_fig_16.jpg

Lightning bit through quite a bit of concrete to get to the rebar, knocked several 100lbs chunks out to do it.
a6137_fig_5.jpg a6137_fig_1.jpg

It is very important to have all things in the system bonded well, antennas (different antennas may need different methods), towers and masts, buildings, radios and other equipment. Even the buildings earth wires. All needs to be properly connected to make a major grounding system effective. You may even benefit from a system like this.

a6137_fig_8.jpg a6137_fig_9.jpg
I don't know that I would want to be anywhere near this in the event of a strike! But its a proven method.

Back to the breaker, before the breaker kick off, I would think (and it needs more research) a set of inductance coils to disallow RF from leaking through it but allowing lightning surge to pass into the grounding system. Now this would be dependent on where the strikes origin is. If it does hit the antenna and tries to travel through the coax or any rotator or beacon wires this breaker would be the savior of your equipment. Steps would also need to be taken to ensure some sort of insulator fills the gap between the contacts of the open breaker to insure the energy does not jump the gap and goes to shunt into the nearest electrode, which would need to be very close to the breaker unit. As for keeping the RF inside the transmission line through the breaker I was thinking some sort of hardline with machined contact points would mate and prevent RF from leaking. The breaker upon kick off would ground out to the shunt, shield and center conductor along with it. Maybe even having some sort of automatic reset like 30 seconds to a minute after the strike. But that involves electronics, the point is to keep it mechanical so less can go wrong.

Alright a lot said, I'm hungry and temporarily out of info, so after I do more research I will add more and maybe more photos. Sorry for the long winded read, I hope it was interesting.

-Bill

I would also like to add that a similar breaker system could be used to disconnect the entire house's or shack's power supply and all conductors leading in and out to isolate the lightnings energy to the grounding system.

Good post. I still chuckle when somene recommends a lightning arrestor or running a ground wire to your antenna mast as protection from lightning. I call that "lightning protecion by Wyle E. Coyote"!

Good post. I still chuckle when somene recommends a lightning arrestor or running a ground wire to your antenna mast as protection from lightning. I call that "lightning protecion by Wyle E. Coyote"!

Both of those ideas should be used however not by themselves. There has to be several levels of protection.

KF5FUR, what are you talking about using a "breaker" for? In line with the transmission line or AC power leads or both?? In reality a breaker or relay is quite slow, taking several milliseconds to activate. A spike from lightning can be only a few microseconds long. That's a factor of 1000 trimes as long for the relay to trip as it takes for the pulse to hit. Not really very effective to disconnect something AFTER it has suffered a strike. :D

Both of those ideas should be used however not by themselves. There has to be several levels of protection.

KF5FUR, what are you talking about using a "breaker" for? In line with the transmission line or AC power leads or both?? In reality a breaker or relay is quite slow, taking several milliseconds to activate. A spike from lightning can be only a few microseconds long. That's a factor of 1000 trimes as long for the relay to trip as it takes for the pulse to hit. Not really very effective to disconnect something AFTER it has suffered a strike. :D

Well Capt. that's a good and valid point, but I think there could be a way to speed that process up with technology, sensor and such. Today's sensor systems can respond faster than lightning can strike.

"the point is to keep it mechanical so less can go wrong." So maybe then it would benefit from having electronics. Perhaps even a explosive pack to disconnect the breaker, C-4 or Semtex have a higher fps on the energy delivery. But still have the problem of reacting fast, faster then the lightning surge, hmm. This will require some research. Anyway its tired and I'm late so....

i don't think id be comfortable with C4 or any other high explosive any where near the home 20 :LOL::LOL:

KF5FUR,
Sorry, but I think you're 'over thinking' the whole mess. Fastest means I can think of, much faster than a relay of any type, is the same method most commercial stations use for lightning protection. A direct short to ground through an inductance. Is it 'perfect'? No, but it's about as 'perfect' as you can get and still be practical.
Ground rods are just not going to be very practical all by themselves no matter how long/deep they are. There are other methods that work at least as well, if not better, and are much more practical for the average person than a 'jack-hammer'. 'Deep' is only beneficial in specific types of terrain.
- 'Doc

KF5FUR,
Sorry, but I think you're 'over thinking' the whole mess. Fastest means I can think of, much faster than a relay of any type, is the same method most commercial stations use for lightning protection. A direct short to ground through an inductance. Is it 'perfect'? No, but it's about as 'perfect' as you can get and still be practical.
Ground rods are just not going to be very practical all by themselves no matter how long/deep they are. There are other methods that work at least as well, if not better, and are much more practical for the average person than a 'jack-hammer'. 'Deep' is only beneficial in specific types of terrain.
- 'Doc

Well then if there is something more simple or effective then I'm all for it.
I would like to know more about this direct short to ground, sounds just like the DC ground matching coil I am putting on my 102" whip, actually it does help if the antenna is struck by lightning or power lines.

FWIW those DC shunts to ground at the antenna feedpoint don't do much when lightning hits. They are not heavy enough and are too inductive. What they do is help bleed off the static charge before it builds up enough to draw a strike. The inductance is far too high to shunt lightning energy. Lightning is not DC as most think. It is more like wideband RF from DC to daylight (literally) with most of the energy contained in the lower frequencies. We used DC shunts all the time on broadcast towers but that was in addition to the extensive ground system, the static balls,an extensive ground system, the OMG series DC blocking capacitor (AM sites),an extensive ground system, and the spark gaps. Oh, did I mention we had a rather extensive ground system to take care of the vast majority of the strike energy? :D

FWIW those DC shunts to ground at the antenna feedpoint don't do much when lightning hits. They are not heavy enough and are too inductive. What they do is help bleed off the static charge before it builds up enough to draw a strike. The inductance is far too high to shunt lightning energy. Lightning is not DC as most think. It is more like wideband RF from DC to daylight (literally) with most of the energy contained in the lower frequencies. We used DC shunts all the time on broadcast towers but that was in addition to the extensive ground system, the static balls,an extensive ground system, the OMG series DC blocking capacitor (AM sites),an extensive ground system, and the spark gaps. Oh, did I mention we had a rather extensive ground system to take care of the vast majority of the strike energy? :D

I would like to know more about these OMG series DC blocking capacitors and spark gaps.

Lightning protection « ALL THINGS RADIO @ NØFP

Found this a few ago. Seems his static bleed off coil was designed correctly, it resisted current from a direct hit on his antennas. But something else was not, so he is trying this spark gap idea. I am still not sure how this will help him, can anyone shed light on it and that how a system with a static BO, spark gap, and DC blocking capacitors could all be used along with over adequate grounding to make a system that helps me sleep at night when the storms are being viscous over my head.

I would like to know more about these OMG series DC blocking capacitors and spark gaps.

They were used on AM broadcast towers. The OMG (Oh My God) capacitor was simply a high voltage capacitor, typically a bare minimum of 10,000 volt rating and often 20,000 or more, and about 0.01 microfarads. It offered almost zero resistance to the broadcast frequency but would block the DC component of a lightning strike while all the other protection systems would hopefully bear the brunt of it. You have seen the spark gaps in the link you posted above. They simply arc over when the voltage across the points exceeds what they can withstand normally.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.