1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

My Converted Motorola Spectra

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by KD8HMO, Jan 2, 2018.

1. KD8HMO

KD8HMO Sr. Member

This is my mid 90's Motorola Spectra converted to 2m. This is the 110w trunk mount with the system 9000 control head. I use it as a base station with a Diamond X50 antenna. These radios are built like tanks and can't be beat, especially in a metro area. They are dirt cheap on eBay. Only problem is most will need to be recapped, but not a big deal.

2. PA770

PA770 W9WDX Member

Nice. I run the 45w GM300 as my mobile. I got the USB cable to program it for 8 simplex and 8 local repeaters. My son also has one as a base setup.. Again cheap to use.

3. BBI

BBI Member

I always wondered what it was like to program one of those.

4. KD8HMO

KD8HMO Sr. Member

You have to have a special interface box and cable. You can buy a cable with the box internals built in now. It's not too hard for basic programming.

5. KD8HMO

KD8HMO Sr. Member

First thing you do after connecting the radio to your pc is start the software and download a copy of the radios "code plug" programming file. Then put a copy of it somewhere safe, in case you brick the radio. Then you modify another copy with the software and upload it back into the radio. Basically the same procedure as my VX-7R using a computer.

BBI, kaos513, PA770 and 1 other person like this.
  6. KD8HMO

KD8HMO Sr. Member

I'm using the black, L shaped Motorola desk mic with this. I get constant compliments on how it sounds.
    s-l225.jpg

kaos513 likes this.
  7. kaos513

kaos513 Well-Known Member

nice rig

8. pinktorpedo

pinktorpedo Active Member

great radios, nice job. i run Motorola's myself. 2m-440-GMRS-and DMR. really nice FM, very well built. shack4.JPG

9. pinktorpedo

P.S. i do have a extra Motorola Programmer Laptop with a lot of the favorite RSS software running DOS. for sale if anyone want to take advantage of great surplus radio gear......... lap4.JPG

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  10. KD2GOE

KD2GOE W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I have been looking at this stuff but there is way to many parts and I feel like I am going to mess it up or get non working junk.

#10 KD2GOE, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  11. dragracer

dragracer W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

What laptop are you using to run the RSS?

12. pinktorpedo

i have a dell inspiron 300m running DOS with a bunch of rss software loaded
    i could part with if you know someone who's looking. lap6.JPG lap6.JPG lap7.JPG lap1.JPG