• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My First Satellite Contact

KJ4FEL

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jul 1, 2008
I made my FIRST successful satellite QSO ever with K8YSE today through AO-51 during the 2057z pass over my house. Thank You K8YSE!! (y)

I was so excited to hear him repeat my call sign back and ask for the QSL that I about swallowed the microphone and got tongue-tied confirming the QSL :)

What makes it even better was the fact that I make it a point of recording the passes so I have an audio recording of my first AO-51 QSO.

I want to also say thanks to Moleculo for the great video you made on working satellites. It was very helpful to me as someone just starting out.

I have tried unsuccessfully in the past using my Kenwood TH-6F and a Diamond SRH-320A with no joy. I've been meaning to get either the Arrow or Elk antenna for satellite work but hadn't managed to yet.

Today I used my Kenwood TM-V71A and my Arrow J-Pole that is mounted in my attic. I really liked the true dual-band nature of the TM-V71 and I think that helped me out a good bit. I also think that the fact that the pass was at 66 degrees maximum elevation and came directly over the top of my house helped too.

Anyway... thanks for letting me share today's excitement :)

Congradulations on the first SAT contact. I just pulled out my sat rig from its winter stowe. Waiting for some good weather.
Hope to hear you on the birds.
Just looked and dont have EM 95 yet
KB3TQO

Last edited:
Congrats on your first contact! I've worked K8YSE also... he gets around.

My QSL card wall is getting papered pretty good. Send one to him and he'll reply. Pretty nice pics of his mobile setup.

73 :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.