• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My New Cootie

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
Haven't used a sideswiper since the 70's. Sold the old one I had many years ago. Been using paddles. Just thought I'd go back to a Cootie. Guy did a good job making this one. It's pretty attractive. Gonna spend next few days getting my groove back.

K1KUZ makes these if'n you want one. It weighs nearly 3 lbs. Cold rolled steel, brass and spring steel. Wood is Mahogany.

Attachments

• IMG_20200212_143241887.jpg
    IMG_20200212_143241887.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 206

Haven't used a sideswiper since the 70's. Sold the old one I had many years ago. Been using paddles. Just thought I'd go back to a Cootie. Guy did a good job making this one. It's pretty attractive. Gonna spend next few days getting my groove back.

K1KUZ makes these if'n you want one. It weighs nearly 3 lbs. Cold rolled steel, brass and spring steel. Wood is Mahogany.

Nice!
Makes me want to learn code!

Someday

I mainly use a Bencher paddle, sometimes my Vibroplex bug, and even an old straight key during new years on “straight key day." My first introduction to the “Cootie” design concept was when I was in Vietnam. A Vietnamese op had a home brew Cootie made from crude parts. It consisted of a hacksaw blade as the main swing arm. Being intrigued, the guy offered me a hand at it. It was similar to the bug I was familiar with so I thought it wouldn’t be too difficult. I finally gave up with a busted ego after making numerous mistakes, not to mention all the laughter I received from onlookers. Maybe I should give it a try again, but I never considered buying one after realizing the extra effort it would take to retrain a habitual brain. CW errors are also far less acceptable today, especially among all the cheaters that depend solely on finicky code readers and keyboards.

Great story Sunbulls. I spent some time with it today. IDK, but I'm having issues with dits. It's like my wrist spasms up. I'm going to keep at it, though. If not, on the shelf it goes. I didn't have trouble when I was a teen.

I use Bencher's too. Just picked up a used one after I dropped and busted my old one. I can't use a straight key anymore after I sliced finger nerves a few years back. I've used bugs, but never liked them. I've had various capacitive units. Some of them, I liked. I just can't get repetitive character speed with this cootie.

I've used various capacitive keyers. Some were decent. I like a little mechanical feedback when I key. I use a tiny gap contact. I can set my Kent close enough that it almost feels capacitive.

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.