• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My old friend President Jackson.

News Flash . . . This just came in . . .

I think this picture is worth a $1000!

Can there be ANY doubt at this point that it is an Original Jackson Export?

You decide . . . Geee; isn't that a MRF477 . . . Why yes it is Clyde; yes it is . . .

Attachments

• MRF477.JPG
    MRF477.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I think this picture is worth a $1000!

Can there be ANY doubt at this point that it is an Original Jackson Export?

You decide . . .

Ha, I was gonna post that as well. I spent the last hour cleaning all the corrosion in that area just to be able to see it. Yours is cleaner than mine unless you did some housekeeping before taking that pic.

LOL

It also appears that my main buddy Wayne cranked up the bias pots all of the way to the right.
Check your bias current if you bought a radio from Wayne !!!

The driver bias was set at 270mA (supposed to be 50mA) and the final bias was set at 0mA (supposed to be 80mA). I am putting in a new .22uf/50v cap and replacement MV1Y biasing diode and see if I can get a reading better than 25mA (again, it should adjust to 80mA) that I have been getting for the final. Wayne will be getting a call from my credit card company and eat a radio.

Also going to pull out TR26 and add a 1.5kohm resistor to the center leg and put it back in the radio. This will remove the compression from AM transmit WITHOUT taking out the AM Limiter altogether. The way it should be done - right. Yup yup . . .

Last edited:
So in the end what do we have here? Is is an N.O.S superstar or an old N.O.S. Jackson? From all of your experences with this radio so far I am convinced that their has been some doctoring of board numbers and components....But why?...To what end? Their seems that their was allot of effort involved to cover up things.

We all know why companys alter component #'s and things of that nature, but to go to this extreme has even got me thinking. Flase statements, outright lies, board # changes, Gross embellishments from sellers.

But nevertheless it is what it is. A rough turd that needs work. So what would it be after that? Is it something that would have a place on the shelf next to the origonal classic's....Maybe. we will have to see.

The mystery deepens. I myself would like to know above anything else what radio that this main board was meant for?

It also appears that my main buddy Wayne cranked up the bias pots all of the way to the right.
Check your bias current if you bought a radio from Wayne !!!

The driver bias was set at 270mA (supposed to be 50mA) and the final bias was set at 0mA (supposed to be 80mA). I am putting in a new .22uf/50v cap and replacement MV1Y biasing diode and see if I can get a reading better than 25mA (again, it should adjust to 80mA) that I have been getting for the final. If I can't; then the final is toast. Wayne will be getting a call from my credit card company and eat a radio.

Also going to pull out TR26 and add a 1.5kohm resistor to the center leg and put it back in the radio. This will remove the compression from AM transmit WITHOUT taking out the AM Limiter altogether. The way it should be done - right. Yup yup . . .

So you are saying that the correct bias cannot be set correctly as it sits without changing out those components? If the final is toast, perhaps it would be a good idea to R&R the final section BEFORE firing it up for the first time due to the corrosion? Unless it was done by the manufacturer checking if the unit worked.

So in the end what do we have here? Is is an N.O.S superstar or an old N.O.S. Jackson? From all of your experences with this radio so far I am convinced that their has been some doctoring of board numbers and components....But why?...To what end? Their seems that their was allot of effort involved to cover up things.

We all know why companys alter component #'s and things of that nature, but to go to this extreme has even got me thinking. False statements, outright lies, board # changes, Gross embellishments from sellers.

But nevertheless it is what it is. A rough turd that needs work. So what would it be after that? Is it something that would have a place on the shelf next to the original classic's....Maybe. we will have to see.

The mystery deepens. I myself would like to know above anything else what radio that this main board was meant for?

Gotta be an original Jackson (not a SuperStar) because of the MRF477 used.

Why did they do it? lol - money. Getting rid of old stock they bought and re-branded. Should be all pretty obvious by now. Unless someone can prove that SuperStar built their radios with a MRF477; then the only logical conclusion is that it must be an original Jackson.

thanks robb for setting me in the right direction again on the clarifier mod, i put d65 back in and re-tuned again, transmitt and receive are not exact but seem close as they are going to get, just got back from a drive and did make some contacts and said it sounded good. as you said vr6 seems to do nothing now.

did make some dx contacts with it and had good reports, but that could change,lol. the radio was good out of the box for a couple days then it started going off freq, i had to have the fine clarifier all the way to the left to hear anyone, then people started yellin back "your off freq". so hopefully with the clarifier mod now and everything centered up it will stay

So you are saying that the correct bias cannot be set correctly as it sits without changing out those components? If the final is toast, perhaps it would be a good idea to R&R the final section BEFORE firing it up for the first time due to the corrosion? Unless it was done by the manufacturer checking if the unit worked.

The final does work; I just got ahead of myself a bit. But it still will not bias correctly. I tested and replaced the bias diode - no dice. Checked the bias pot - no dice. Checked the bias resistor - no dice. Checked and replaced C189 & C193 - no dice.

I flagged this hacks posting on Craigslist.

Did you call this guy Robb?

Naw; still dealing with the final bias issue . . .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.