• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My old friend President Jackson.

AMC vr12 does nothing on mine either

If TR26 was pulled off the board; the the AMC control won't work. You will find it on the board in front of the mic plug. If you replace it with the 2sc945 it requires, it won't hardly swing at all. Maybe 4-5 watts on top of the deadkey/carrier watts. If you put a 1.5k ohm resistor on the center leg of that transistor, it will do a little better. Had no problem getting 100% modulation on the scope as a test doing that. But you will have to lower the dead key from 10w to 5-6 watts. If you do this, you will have only 5-6 watts in FM mode too.
Funky; huh?

DON'T expect this radio to be an AM screamer; it can be nothing more than a AM squeaker at best by design. . .

Last edited:
I did not buy mine from the guy in Ohio and it appeared to be untouched it had the factory bubble wrap and plastic bag on it. I would say no AMC is pretty important because 60% modulation will not work for me on AM.

When they pulled these old boards outta grandpa's basement they slapped them in an old chassis with shitty covers and course screws.

After that, they lovingly placed it in a bubble pack and bag and a new box.

Rangers official response on a warranty: Were checking on that and get back to you.

nice dx contact robb, im going to check on tr26 right now,, something isnt right with the transmit audio,, you were the first one to say anything,, then i just did a drive and recorded it from my base and yes something is going on,

nice dx contact robb, im going to check on tr26 right now,, something isnt right with the transmit audio,, you were the first one to say anything,, then i just did a drive and recorded it from my base and yes something is going on,

Told ya 544. ;)
TR26 is probably missing if you got your radio from Wayne's shop in Ohio. When you go to put in a 2sc945 at TR26, be sure the flat side of that transistor is facing the back of the radio. Just get one out of a junker radio; they use a lot of these 945's in many radios - its a common part. Also make sure your ALC adjustment hasn't been turned up all of the way too. My money says that TR26 is missing. Check the bias settings on your driver and final too. Very important. One or the combination of these factors will cause your radio to have TX distortion in SSB mode.

Also, don't take anything for granted with this radio's adjustments.
Not all of the adjustments done on my radio were wrong; but many were.
You will be glad you did.

Last edited:
i think i found the problem with the audio distortion, i noticed a leg of a resistor was touching a diod lead, they were right tight against each other, then i started looking over and found a couple more resistors that were touching but didnt look like they were worn through the paint type insulation that they have on the exposed resistor legs,,

i seperated them and re-tested and it sounded fine this time.

these were touching for sure, the insulation/ paint material was worn through and kind of melted to the (diode?):

i didnt take a pic tonight but this is where the problem was(hopefully)

Attachments

• short.jpg
    short.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 97
My Bias adjusted perfectly. I do not recall the band but you have to be in upper sideband on a certain band. And if you are going by the book the bands are off because the service manual is for a five band radio. These radios have 6 bands.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.