• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Philly Built Cobra 148GTL ?

Oatmeal

Mar 22, 2009
West Virginia..
Hey guys, I don't have a what is needed to set the wattage down on this radio, no proper equipment, no radio tech's close to me so, when I key the mic the meter in the radio goes up to like a 30 or so in the red, what does this indicate ?....

And also, like to set the dk watts down in it too, can I do this somehow by using the meter inside the radio ?..
Really sux not having a cb shop or tech in the neighborhood...

VR10 is the location that controls AM power (deadkey/carrier). You cannot set it to a specific output wattage without a watt meter.

If you are wanting to turn it down to pair your radio with an amplifier then you absolutely need a watt meter - especially for adjusting for proper output from your amplifier. You'll want a combo meter with SWR as well so you can check to make sure your SWR is low enough otherwise you'll smoke your setup.

There shouldn't any any reason to turn down your deadkey otherwise.

Make sure when you do adjust that you have your mic gain at minimum and I'd suggest making adjustments with the radio off unless you have non-conductive tools.

If you don't have a watt meter you can not adjust your deadkey accurately and I wouldn't attempt it. The meter on your radio is useless.

Hey guys, I don't have a what is needed to set the wattage down on this radio, no proper equipment, no radio tech's close to me so, when I key the mic the meter in the radio goes up to like a 30 or so in the red, what does this indicate ?....

And also, like to set the dk watts down in it too, can I do this somehow by using the meter inside the radio ?..
Really sux not having a cb shop or tech in the neighborhood...
BTW - do you have the radio attached to an antenna when you keyed the mic on the radio?
Are you testing the radio in AM mode?

Like Robb & Big said " No Meter " No Touchy " ! Must be a local you chat with that has meter you can borrow ? Take your radio there ? You can purchase a meter fairly reasonable , I couldn't be without mine . Myself ... I wouldn't start twistin' stuff w/out it ! No disrespect .:)

Reactions: S&W357
Good morning, yeah I have a rat shack meter, sold all my cb stuff, but kept that meter.....

What I did was got me a old philly built cobra 148gtl awhile back, running this on a base setup, just got me a d-104 for it yesterday, all this will stay on a base setup....ok, 1st off with the radio, the needle as u key up goes over to a 30 n the red, which never seen one key this far over, looking into sending it to a tech when I find one to trust......until then was hoping to use this d-104 on this radio for time been, which is another issue....but was just wanting to ask about the radio 1st off, then the mic.....

But yes had this radio hooked to a antenna and this is what I see with the mic keyed...and yes checking it in AM mode...bought the radio and mic from the same guy and both are in mint condition...

Reactions: 357magnum
IDK if this helps but I run my D-104 Silver Eagle @ 1/3 open on the bottom & Mic gain on my 2K @ between 9-10 O'clock that provides more than enough modulation on my radio , but all aren't the same . Does the Rs meter show wattage & SWR ? If so how many watts is your radio showing ? Like you already know you have know idea what mods have been to that 148 . Most people like to " Play " with them .:whistle:;):D

Reactions: Oatmeal

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?