• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Radio Has Carrier On SSB?

Freeze Spray
Eh92VfI_VEVrrBEX71qmhiginevkusDLixgui1WkC6kezUMfdxf-mntPuXf7sU3SI9XKLXYJz6o4Myh6EZljojm8J8vYif5X-m5xlpbXPfORMM_J00Okj0RgoiZEnfLN909cJWOww8oh

Blow Dryer
flamethrower.jpg

Tapping Device
KToolSpringLoadedCenterPunch_KTI70002.jpg

if its a made i china, we recommend these special tools.
Step one: spray poop freeze on bad component
Step two: use very precision flame " whoops" hair dryer for .005 seconds
step three: take special tapping device push very hard.
radio will work very long time!

Hey, after the poop freeze and flame thrower I was at least expecting a lump hammer as the tapping device. If none of that works out for ya, I've found this flowchart very useful in most repairs.

Attachments

• Flow Chart.jpg
    Flow Chart.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 41
Hey, after the poop freeze and flame thrower I was at least expecting a lump hammer as the tapping device. If none of that works out for ya, I've found this flowchart very useful in most repairs.
5932d1320717392-my-radio-has-carrier-sideband-flow-chart.jpg
:LOL::laugh::LOL::laugh::LOL:

One roll of duck tape and an instruction manual saved Apollo 11 and....they didn't even read the instruction manual to do it. My kind of job.

I know your not circuit savvey but SSB is a balanced 'null' circuit that is adjustable for that null.
If this adjustment is shock sensitive or a circuit board solder joint has become intemittant, or the pot has become intermittant, a carrier will result in SSB mode.
This is how AM is derived in most SSB radios by the front panel control set to AM that 'intentionally' shifts the balance null to an unbalanced condition and automatically drops the drive to the final stages, in AM mode.
A way to adjust this null point on SSB is to use another reciever on AM without antenna connected and adjust the null control for min or no carrier output from the SSB in transmitt with no audio applied from a mike (just keyed up).
There are other ways but this way requires no test equipment.
You only need to know where the contol is on the board.
Good luck.

I know your not circuit savvey but SSB is a balanced 'null' circuit that is adjustable for that null.
If this adjustment is shock sensitive or a circuit board solder joint has become intemittant, or the pot has become intermittant, a carrier will result in SSB mode.
This is how AM is derived in most SSB radios by the front panel control set to AM that 'intentionally' shifts the balance null to an unbalanced condition and automatically drops the drive to the final stages, in AM mode.
A way to adjust this null point on SSB is to use another reciever on AM without antenna connected and adjust the null control for min or no carrier output from the SSB in transmitt with no audio applied from a mike (just keyed up).
There are other ways but this way requires no test equipment.
You only need to know where the contol is on the board.
Good luck.

That is some good info...thanks.:)

But it works perfectly when it is working.....it must be a cold solder joint?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.