• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Radio Has Carrier On SSB?

Eastside

Apr 29, 2011
When keyed up it has a carrier like its on am....when I tap it with my finger the needle in the meter drops back to zero....any ideas whats wrong with it?

I got it to stop by turning the radio on/off a bunch of times...its working normal for now...just got a radio check from Albuquerque NM. :scratchhead:

Is the radio actually transmitting an unsuppressed carrier? If so it sounds like an intermittent problem in the circuitry that nulls the carrier out, but a sticky meter that responds to a tap on the face doesn't usually mean a circuit problem; it's usually mechanical or electrostatic.

Is the radio actually transmitting an unsuppressed carrier? If so it sounds like an intermittent problem in the circuitry that nulls the carrier out, but a sticky meter that responds to a tap on the face doesn't usually mean a circuit problem; it's usually mechanical or electrostatic.

if its a uniden/rci type meter then Beetle is probably bang on with static sticking it (i used to find rubbing a finger one or twice down the perspex of the meter discharged it), it's very common on rci 3900 type radios, seems to be more prevalent when using magmounted antennas, i've only rarely seen it in those type radios used in a base station setup.

I think the first thing is get an external watt meter. Then when you take your reading back the mic gain way down and don't run a power mic. If the problem is still as you claim there until you tap the radio then you need to have it looked at.

Yeah.....the carrier is showing on my Dosy.

First we need to know what type of radio it is? Then we have to determine if it really is carrier or some other noise such as background noise or a squeal. To do this, next time it happens reduce your mic gain all the way down. If it's still there it's probably not a squeal or background noise. In this case it does sound like an intermittent connection in the carrier balance circuit. This is the circuit that is responsible for removing the carrier on SSB. It does have an alignment control using either a variable resistor or variable capacitor. Since the problem is intermittent alignment is not likely to fix the problem unless the problem was a dirty control. Freeze spray, a hair dryer, and a tapping device are your friends when pinpointing intermittents like these.

First we need to know what type of radio it is? Then we have to determine if it really is carrier or some other noise such as background noise or a squeal. To do this, next time it happens reduce your mic gain all the way down. If it's still there it's probably not a squeal or background noise. In this case it does sound like an intermittent connection in the carrier balance circuit. This is the circuit that is responsible for removing the carrier on SSB. It does have an alignment control using either a variable resistor or variable capacitor. Since the problem is intermittent alignment is not likely to fix the problem unless the problem was a dirty control. Freeze spray, a hair dryer, and a tapping device are your friends when pinpointing intermittents like these.
Freeze Spray
Eh92VfI_VEVrrBEX71qmhiginevkusDLixgui1WkC6kezUMfdxf-mntPuXf7sU3SI9XKLXYJz6o4Myh6EZljojm8J8vYif5X-m5xlpbXPfORMM_J00Okj0RgoiZEnfLN909cJWOww8oh

Blow Dryer
flamethrower.jpg

Tapping Device
KToolSpringLoadedCenterPunch_KTI70002.jpg

if its a made i china, we recommend these special tools.
Step one: spray poop freeze on bad component
Step two: use very precision flame " whoops" hair dryer for .005 seconds
step three: take special tapping device push very hard.
radio will work very long time!

Yeah....I turned the mic gain down...turned the sq off....put various non powered mics on it.....it only stopped when I turned it on and off a bunch of times....as I did with all the knobs n switches in an attempt to clean the pots.

How dirty is the circuit board inside?

I had a galaxy that I almost threw my hands up in the air on.

It had no RX on AM, SSB was great both usb and lsb, transmit was great on all modes just no darn receive on AM.

While I was cleaning up a solder joint using alcohol and an acid brush I decided to just clean the whole board as this sticky brown stuff was starting to come off with the cleaning.

The rig at one time belonged to a smoker, and the tar and nicotine was causing the problem. After a thorough cleaning the rig worked fine.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.