• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Saga Of Putting Together A Good 10 Meter AM Station Continues

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
As I've mentioned before I enjoy working 10M AM. We already have the great propagation up there with this Solar Cycle Peak approaching and will have great domestic and DX for several years. My Icom sounds decent on AM but lacks higher power and doesn't have the true AM Modulation scheme. There are radios out there that kick ass on AM like the Apache Labs ANON Series rigs and many others .... but a new pricey radio isn't in the budget. So I went with a Stryker 655 that I can also talk to the locals with on 11M AM, and its 70 watt swing drives the Texas Star 500V nicely. So can easy breezy key 100 watts and swing to over 400 all day long. It sounds great on 10 and this power level is ideal. BUT ..... my 11M 1/2 vertical isn't resonant up there so I figured a big legal limit tuner would do the job. In my case it hasn't worked out. These tuners are more designed to handle that kind of power on SSB and CW .... but they don't want to take the constant carrier of 100 watts with the p.e.p on top. I've tried 2 and they both experienced arching on the roller inductor. Lesson learned. It wasn't my first choice to put up yet another antenna at the house, already have 3 ... but it's what I need to do. Have a M 400 1/4 GP on the way which I will shorten to be resonant on the top end of 10 and than have no need for a tuner at all. In most cases it's hard to beat a resonant antenna. And the 1/4 wave with it's higher angle of radiation should be really good for DX. Will let y'all know how it turns out.

It's cool that you're trying to revive 10 AM. I have worked a handful of AM stations through the years but I usually forget to even roll through the 29.100 area of the band. For me it's always SSB or 29.600 simplex with the occasional repeater work... Guess I need to listen there more often.

My (old) Imax is tuned for around 27.500. It works fine throughout 11 and 10... Not the most efficient antenna but definitely broadbanded.

Reactions: wavrider
It's cool that you're trying to revive 10 AM. I have worked a handful of AM stations through the years but I usually forget to even roll through the 29.100 area of the band. For me it's always SSB or 29.600 simplex with the occasional repeater work... Guess I need to listen there more often.

My (old) Imax is tuned for around 27.500. It works fine throughout 11 and 10... Not the most efficient antenna but definitely broadbanded.
It's more popular than many think. I've already worked over a dozen stations in the last few weeks with what I have. Europe is coming in in the mornings. Use whatever you have to get on the air. You're hear guys using the whole gamut of radios from the classic AM transmitters like the Johnson Vikings to regular modern transceivers and the higher end radios. One more week and I'll be there with loud & clear audio and some power. Happy DX'ing !!

This is really cool! I like you already have 3 antennas and I didn't want to put up another, but what the heck I think I will. On the opposite side of my house where my 11 meter ground plane is, there is a bracket that used to be used for a TV antenna mount. Plenty sturdy for at least an Imax. Unlike how packed with operators 80 and 40m can be, the General 10 meter portion is so unused you can run as much bandwidth as you want without someone complaining. Come spring, I'll move forward with this. I wish you the best on your endeavor sir. Keep us posted.

This is really cool! I like you already have 3 antennas and I didn't want to put up another, but what the heck I think I will. On the opposite side of my house where my 11 meter ground plane is, there is a bracket that used to be used for a TV antenna mount. Plenty sturdy for at least an Imax. Unlike how packed with operators 80 and 40m can be, the General 10 meter portion is so unused you can run as much bandwidth as you want without someone complaining. Come spring, I'll move forward with this. I wish you the best on your endeavor sir. Keep us posted.

Thanks buddy. The Starduster is set to be here Monday. I have all the mounting hardware & coax ready to go.

Reactions: KP68
Starduster in today in perfect condition. I've had them in the past so the assembly went fast. Put together, tuned up and on the air in an hour & a half including the several trips up & down the ladder onto the roof. 1.2 SWR throughout 29mhz. DX is a little down today, didn't hear anything up there but it's ready to go.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.