• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mystery 8 pill

479tx

Oct 12, 2011
Picked up this mystery 8 pill today for next to nothing

Going to power it up when I get home, don't have a driver for it yet but just going to see if it does what it should with just a stout radio driving it. The wire spaggetti around the power supply looks worse than it is, builder could have used shorter wires and better zip tying.

Inside it looks like it just needs a can or two of compressed air.

Has 8 matched 2sc2879's that don't look roasted, pre red-dot too.

What about the rest of it? Anyone recognize anything wrong or even better know where this amp came from/who built it?

The guy that I got it from said it sounds like a jet taking off with all 6 fans going, guessing nobody is regulating the voltage going to them, haven't checked yet.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpeg
    photo 1.jpeg
    497.1 KB · Views: 169
  • photo 2.jpeg
    photo 2.jpeg
    486.2 KB · Views: 182
  • photo 4.jpeg
    photo 4.jpeg
    499.5 KB · Views: 181
  • photo 5.jpeg
    photo 5.jpeg
    492.1 KB · Views: 184
  • photo 22.jpeg
    photo 22.jpeg
    492.2 KB · Views: 189
  • photo 34.jpeg
    photo 34.jpeg
    513.3 KB · Views: 166
  • photo 46.jpeg
    photo 46.jpeg
    433.3 KB · Views: 181
  • photo1 1.jpeg
    photo1 1.jpeg
    476.9 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: 1 person

I'd spend the coin and replace all the caps in it just so you will know . And change those dipped mica's on the outputs to some metal clads .

I think you would be better off going with a tube amp instead of running an 8 pill base. Something like a 4 pill or 1x4 would be the largest plug in the wall pill amp I would use. I'm sure you will get that 8 pill working but dang, look at the power supply section on that amp.

Reactions: 1 person
Agreed. I never liked the small 50a rectifier banks. Be gentle with it and it will do fine. Try and drive it. Chances are those will pop pretty quick. See it happen all the time.

Chances are those will pop pretty quick. See it happen all the time.

Agreed.
First thing to fail in many of the unregulated power supplies in these style amps.
They use a lot of capacitance in them to filter out ripple and the inrush current kills the rectifiers.
Gonna be hard to say who built it because it is a design (?) that has been copied to death.
I would have to go to storage to look at the part numbers on the transformers, but I think they are identical to the 2 that were in my 400-12 HD.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.