• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mystery antenna?

marven

Jun 12, 2006
I have a beam antenna that is supposed to be a Hygain brand. However, I've looked at every picture of a Hygain that I can find and still can't ID it. :( :oops:
It has a 2 piece beam 1 1/4" OD, 198" long, with a slip pipe inside to connect them. It also has a mast mounting bracket midway.
On that piece are 5 - three way radials with 2 of them having connections for coax. The radials are 3/8" OD for 48" and one inside of that ( overlapped) for a 101" overall length.
Can any of you tell me which antenna I probably have? :?: :?:
I could also use a little help on the proper assemly and tuning for frequency, if anyone has the destructions?? :oops:
marven :roll:

mystery antenna

Thanx for the reply. I wish I could figure out to post a picture. It would probably make things way too easy. lol
If you put everything I know about a computer into your hat, you would still have room for your head. ha
As for the antenna, It has 5 sets of three radials, and the closest thing I've found yet, was a beam on the jogun site. Don't remember what it was called right now.
However, mine is hugh, over all 200" in length & then 3 radials for a 218 inch diameter. It looks about like a groundplane radial set off of a maco v5/8 vertical antenna laid down & times 5.
I wish I knew how the radials with the so-239 connectors were supposed to be mounted for location, as I'm sure they are placement critical. The old gentleman I got this from has alzheimers and just can't tell me anything about it.

does it sorta look like this
small_giz_pic-630x346.jpg

mystery antenna

Thank you!! If you added 2 more radial element sections, very close! I'll look at your picture again and see if I can spot any real differences.
Might get enough from the picture to try to assemble. ha
Thanks for the reply and time!!!

mystery antenna

Thank you again!! After looking at the pictures and the website, I'm sure your right. I really lucked out with being given one of the finest antennas going. I'm going to get parts replaced as needed and try to have it up soon.
I had not ever heard of these before, but don't think I will need much of anything else for myself. lol
Carl, thanx for the links and classes. I will try to put them to work when I get the antenna and tower up. :LOL:

Re: mystery antenna

marven said:
Thank you again!! After looking at the pictures and the website, I'm sure your right. I really lucked out with being given one of the finest antennas going. I'm going to get parts replaced as needed and try to have it up soon.
I had not ever heard of these before, but don't think I will need much of anything else for myself. lol
Carl, thanx for the links and classes. I will try to put them to work when I get the antenna and tower up. :LOL:

Early Joe Gunn style antennas.

Only drawback to them is that with the dropping radials (for horizontal) they work more like folded dipoles.

I ran an 8 element Gunn for quite some time. They are good antennas, and the Giz are built better than the Gunns.

--Toll_Free

mystery antenna solved!!

After talking to Gizmotchy antennas this morning, I have assembly destructions and parts coming, a dealership setup and don't think I'll want for an antenna.
Thanks to all for the help, I was losing hair quickly. ( pulling it out in frustration ) ha :oops:
Their web site has some neat pictures on it. Worlds largest Gizmotchy, WOW, what a setup.
Thanks again.

anybody seen the polaris comet? i asked this before and no takers,

i owned a 4 element years ago very much like a jogunn but to my eyes better made and supposedly brought over by a canadian,

main differences are the elements mount onto solid bar which is machined so that crossbar top peg and a ferrule for the bolt come together inside the square boom locking it all together,

the other difference is the center saddle was heavy cast rather than the welded tin plate of a jogunn,

this one came down from 40ft with my buddy up the pole, he hit his carravan and broke his shoulder badly while the polaris speared one element through the roof into a wardrobe ripping a pocket of his best shirt and snapping a peg off but somehow never bent the antenna at all,

an old guy made me an exact replica peg from alloy billet and she was up and running in my back yard at 48ft, worked great.

Gizmotchy antenna

Master chief;
I talked to Tom himself this morning and he verbally approved my dealership. So yes, really.
I'm really excited about getting mine up and using it. :LOL:
I just can't believe that some of these antennas have been working for 40+ years. I found out this morning that mine was made in 1968-1969. It was taken down and stored 2 years ago.
Some have even survived multiple hurricanes. :shock: :shock:

Re: Gizmotchy antenna

marven said:
I talked to Tom himself this morning and he verbally approved my dealership.
Do you own a radio store? Its curious that they would set up a dealership with someone who doesn't even know they have a gizmo.

So, how are you going to market these bad boys?

mystery antenna

Master chief;
I do own a full sevice HF shop with mobile sevice, and do CB & ham, plus. I don't claim to know everything as I'm not dead, still learning. :oops:
I don't get much call for beams and have been using an antron 99 for years. I've sold alot of different beams, just never stumbled on a GIZMOtchy before. I'm new to computers, as the old timer who helped me for years sayed " There is enough to know about radios and computers , that you can be really good with one or the other, but probably not with both.". :(
As to how I'm going to market them, I'll hang mine and use it. I'll post liturature at the shop, and I'll use the same methods that I use in the shop for everything else.
I personally don't use alot of the stuff available for sale, and won't sell it if I haven't at least had good reports from someone I trust. I've now discovered something else new to me with the help of people off this forum and can't say thanks enough. That's why I'm here, in part.
marven:roll:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.