1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Nasty static showing up all over town...anyone else?

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by 357, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Jay Mojave

Jay Mojave Well-Known Member

Hello All: Great reply DJboutit thanks. I have also a neighbor with solar cell RFI but its not bad, it shows up every 200 Kc, so while tuning the Ham or CB Bands a small signal every 200 Kc shows up on the spectrum display. So I am getting use it as a frequency marker and it doesn't really interfere with anything. But power line noise at times is pretty bad. Thanks again. Time to put beam back up.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

NZ8N, Alan Blackmon and 357 like this.

2. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

Powerline noise for sure

357 and Slowmover like this.
  3. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

Plink the insulators with a 22

4. 357

357 Walkin' the dog

even the online sdr 20 miles away has it.
    Its like they are purposely using the lines to shut down radio communication

Slowmover and 144inBama like this.
  5. 144inBama

144inBama Electricity doesn't kill you, ignorance does.

I was getting that on 38 LSB a day or so ago in places I've never had issues before, I figured it was just solar disruption or something.

357 likes this.
  6. Eldorado828

Eldorado828 8-2-8 in the Lonestar State

I haven't really given much attention to this subject but this morning there's some really nasty stuff all through 11 meter. Is it related to this? Not really sure but the nasty Interference is here today....

357 and ForestRunner98 like this.
  7. ForestRunner98

ForestRunner98 917 SoCal

Noise was way up today. Only big strappers coming through.

tecnicoloco and 357 like this.
  8. 357

357 Walkin' the dog

thanks for the replies.
    I tracked it to the power lines.
    Never had this before

9. ForestRunner98

ForestRunner98 917 SoCal

Being in the metro Los Angeles area, noise for us could be almost anything.

10. Alan Blackmon

Alan Blackmon Well-Known Member

We have solar panels going up all around me in the sub-division. Looking at the display on my 7300 you can see them. I think it is going to get much worse. The filtering on these things must be non-existent. Time for me to take the radio out to the woods and see what happens. POTA comes to mind.

Slowmover likes this.
  11. dxing.bruce

dxing.bruce Member

I have the same noise here in Toronto. Canada on & off the past month or so. Some days it's strong other days not so much. I think it's sun spots or other atmospheric noise.

357 and Eldorado828 like this.
  12. Eldorado828

Eldorado828 8-2-8 in the Lonestar State

Man, that sounds like the same garbage I'm hearing through the base receivers here in Texas. I went as far as going through the house with the handheld trying to find the noise, even thought it could have been mine or the neighbors central air units but nada..... Took a ride around the block with the handheld to see if it would get stronger around the transformers but nothing suspect.

357 and 144inBama like this.
  13. cralt

cralt Well-Known Member

I guess the sun is doing lots of stuff. Maybe the skip is carrying all noise from the wrecked power grid down in LA all over. :confused:
    I had that real nasty noise up here in Connecticut this morning also but now its quite. It wasn't a local thing I was up on the highway for about an hour and I had it the whole way.

14. Jay Mojave

Jay Mojave Well-Known Member

Local Noise yeah.... The locals distinguished radio guys were complaining about bacon sizzling type noise all over the bands and all over the place location wise.

I built a crude magnetic loop and antenna and drove all over the place figuring it was power line noise or something inducing noise into the power lines. I found that when I was underneath the High Voltage Lines I could hear the noise louder. These High Voltage Lines are the highest power lines on the poles and on steel towers.

I could not pin point or DF ( Direction Find ) the noise, as it was every were/direction. I am sure many who drove by while I was trying to DF the noise thought I was a looney, use to that.

So maybe it was solar noise of some sort. It only lasted a few weeks ragging havoc on all the HF Bands. Many dropped their antenna and looked them over, some even changed their coax. I drove all over even out into the Mojave Desert and still could hear it. Maybe a high voltage problem some were or solar noise, I just don't know.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

357, BruceC, secret squirrel and 3 others like this.
  15. 357

357 Walkin' the dog

I used a walkie talkie to track the buzz to the power pole. there is some PLC crap too but this power line noise is nasty.

https://www.cypress.com/applications/power-line-communication