• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Nasty static showing up all over town...anyone else?

Local Noise yeah.... The locals distinguished radio guys were complaining about bacon sizzling type noise all over the bands and all over the place location wise.

I built a crude magnetic loop and antenna and drove all over the place figuring it was power line noise or something inducing noise into the power lines. I found that when I was underneath the High Voltage Lines I could hear the noise louder. These High Voltage Lines are the highest power lines on the poles and on steel towers.

I could not pin point or DF ( Direction Find ) the noise, as it was every were/direction. I am sure many who drove by while I was trying to DF the noise thought I was a looney, use to that.

So maybe it was solar noise of some sort. It only lasted a few weeks ragging havoc on all the HF Bands. Many dropped their antenna and looked them over, some even changed their coax. I drove all over even out into the Mojave Desert and still could hear it. Maybe a high voltage problem some were or solar noise, I just don't know.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert
Interesting Jay, thanks for the input.
I know when it rains, the noise is gone so its not back scatter

I guess the sun is doing lots of stuff. Maybe the skip is carrying all noise from the wrecked power grid down in LA all over. :confused:
I had that real nasty noise up here in Connecticut this morning also but now its quite. It wasn't a local thing I was up on the highway for about an hour and I had it the whole way.

Is it wrong to fantasize about her riding me and giving a great signal report and dx picking up at the same time??

Reactions: Jay Mojave

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.