• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base need a better suggestion on hex screw

1iwilly

Dec 7, 2008
so today i receive my sirio GP-27 1/2 it's altogether and up on a 15ft mast 4 watts from the radio 1.1 swr
so i bring the antenna back down for one final check on the screw that holds the top stinger every time i tighten it seems to loosen up when up in the air, it is a M4x4 hex screw i was thinking off switching it with a M4X6 with a tad deeper head for better grip been the original one it's already stripping on the alen head side

so today i receive my sirio GP-27 1/2 it's altogether and up on a 15ft mast 4 watts from the radio 1.1 swr
so i bring the antenna back down for one final check on the screw that holds the top stinger every time i tighten it seems to loosen up when up in the air, it is a M4x4 hex screw i was thinking off switching it with a M4X6 with a tad deeper head for better grip been the original one it's already stripping on the alen head side
My Sirio Vector 4000 has the same thing. I stripped the hex out of it when I tightened it. Then I tried to drill it out but couldn't. So I put it up anyway. Then a big bird bent it on about a 40 degree angle. Then I noticed the wind would swing it around like a weather vane. Haha!

So I brought it down and got a stainless bolt that sticks about half inch out the side. Tightened it up and haven't had a problem. The grub screw is for it to look pretty, but it is over 50 feet to the tip and nobody can see it anyway.

i was looking at this type if all fails i can still grab it with pliers these are stainless steel
s-l1600.jpg

Last fall we rebuilt one of our automatic stacking machines at work. There are sixteen stations that are completely adjustable to accommodate whatever product we are running at the time. All the adjustable components had 10-32 set screws and the tiny hex hole was a bitch when the set screw seized up. I convinced the boss to let me swap them all out to 10-32 by 3/8 inch long socket head machine screws. There were a couple hundred of them in all. I had to drill several out that were seized and re-tapped all the holes and applied anti-seize to all the new 10-32 screws. It was the best thing we ever did. At least you could now use a 5/32 Allen wrench on them and once broke loose you could turn them with your fingers.

Don't over think it if it is lose and not stripped.
Common sirio issue. M4X6 and loctite blue with 24 hour cure time and hike it back in the air.
Always works for me!

The rocking motion it the wind causes the set screw to back out. 1st time it happened to me in one week the stinger droped all the way in. Brought the antenna down and set screw was gone. A longer set screw (4x6) and blue loctite prevents the issue. One and done!

Last edited:
Last fall we rebuilt one of our automatic stacking machines at work. There are sixteen stations that are completely adjustable to accommodate whatever product we are running at the time. All the adjustable components had 10-32 set screws and the tiny hex hole was a bitch when the set screw seized up. I convinced the boss to let me swap them all out to 10-32 by 3/8 inch long socket head machine screws. There were a couple hundred of them in all. I had to drill several out that were seized and re-tapped all the holes and applied anti-seize to all the new 10-32 screws. It was the best thing we ever did. At least you could now use a 5/32 Allen wrench on them and once broke loose you could turn them with your fingers.

Should go without asking:
Why is he the boss?

Should go without asking:
Why is he the boss?

Typically you do not just make changes on your own without running it past management. The process consisted of "Hey Randy, now that we have the chance with the machine being down for several months why don't we get rid of those damn set screws and replace them with 10-32 socket head screws instead. It would be much easier to deal with them if and when they seized up or the heads strip." The response was "Go for it. Damn good idea". No real convincing needed and that machine was originally built with set screws back in the '70's before he was the boss in the dept. That machine was never down for more than a few days at a time in all that time until last fall when we decommissioned another machine and rebuilt this one. THAT was the time to do MAJOR overhauling of everything we could think of. The process started in late September and ended early in the new year. Not something that could be done on the fly a piece at a time.

Typically you do not just make changes on your own without running it past management. The process consisted of "Hey Randy, now that we have the chance with the machine being down for several months why don't we get rid of those damn set screws and replace them with 10-32 socket head screws instead. It would be much easier to deal with them if and when they seized up or the heads strip." The response was "Go for it. Damn good idea". No real convincing needed and that machine was originally built with set screws back in the '70's before he was the boss in the dept. That machine was never down for more than a few days at a time in all that time until last fall when we decommissioned another machine and rebuilt this one. THAT was the time to do MAJOR overhauling of everything we could think of. The process started in late September and ended early in the new year. Not something that could be done on the fly a piece at a time.

Oh, I understand HOW you did it.

But it should have been on his list already.

Best advice I ever had on being the boss is, ask the man doing the job. That bird-dogging flushes the game every time.

Efficiency, (from all angles) is how he’s rated.

Your wording (to convince) can be read more than one way. “To direct his attention”, is better put as no argument needs to have been formed, thus defended. He should see it instantly.

This ain’t free donuts in the coffee room.

Thus, should he need to be “convinced”, why is he the boss?

A “boss” is no man at all doesn’t put his neck out to justify labor/tools/supply to his superiors as morale (alone) suffices in this instance.

He lacks brains and conscience, then?

I’ve had men below me fail this two-part test in this same way. It’d be a shameful thing my father, uncles and grandfathers learned of my role as his superior had I prized pennies over spirit.

“A successful business” (etc).

(I very much like the solution offered above to flush set screws. Thx! )

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Oh, I understand HOW you did it.

But it should have been on his list already.

Best advice I ever had on being the boss is, ask the man doing the job. That bird-dogging flushes the game every time.

Efficiency, (from all angles) is how he’s rated.

Your wording (to convince) can be read more than one way. “To direct his attention”, is better put as no argument needs to have been formed, thus defended. He should see it instantly.

This ain’t free donuts in the coffee room.

Thus, should he need to be “convinced”, why is he the boss?

A “boss” is no man at all doesn’t put his neck out to justify labor/tools/supply to his superiors as morale (alone) suffices in this instance.

He lacks brains and conscience, then?

I’ve had men below me fail this two-part test in this same way. It’d be a shameful thing my father, uncles and grandfathers learned of my role as his superior had I prized pennies over spirit.

“A successful business” (etc).

(I very much like the solution offered above to flush set screws. Thx! )

FFS man you need to change your meds I think. You are ALWAYS reading more into things than exists in reality. You are always making page-long rambling responses to things. How do you know what kind of person Randy is? What kind of boss is he? How do you know what type of working relation he and I have? Just exactly what is his level of knowledge of the position he has? How do you know whether or not he asked for input on things prior to starting the job? Had he considered the same thing himself? All these are rhetorical questions BTW as I REALLY don't want any answers. No......I mean it. I really don't.

Red loctite means your never taking the set screw out ever again. Blue means you can take it out in the future to adjust swr, etc.

thanks to all for the replies
You got more replies and information but its all good, hearing other peoples set screw stories is really neat in my book weather it is on an antenna or not. I have been fixing stuff since I was old enough to break things. I fix broke junk at work and then come home and fix more broke junk, I can't seem to get away from it but I kind of like it too.

PS. If you do use red loctite, a little heat from a propane torch will set it free.

Chris

thanks, i'll try the blue stuff first the antenna is not hard to take down i'm still waiting for approval from HOA but i snuck it up there to test it out 1.1 SWR waiting on my 2 pill

You got more replies and information but its all good, hearing other peoples set screw stories is really neat in my book weather it is on an antenna or not. I have been fixing stuff since I was old enough to break things. I fix broke junk at work and then come home and fix more broke junk, I can't seem to get away from it but I kind of like it too.

PS. If you do use red loctite, a little heat from a propane torch will set it free.

Chris

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated