• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need a high power dummy load

groundwire

Jul 19, 2014
Who makes and or sells a 3000w or bigger dummy load? All i can find is used bird loads but those things extremely huge and heavy. And i know why but i need something smaller and more portable.best i can find is ameritron at 2.4k but its rating curve is really dismal.

The bigger they get the more they cost.

And the fewer choices exist to choose from. That alone tends to drive up prices.

Used a water-cooled 5kW load years back. Had a blown resistor when I got it. But the Ebay price was stupidly low. Probably because the resistor was blown. The replacement (in 2003) resistor cost 160 bucks, but the bottom line still looked good, including the price of the water pump, hoses, radiator and fan. Worked great until one day the water pump stopped. Sure enough the resistor was toasted.

Been using a Bird oil-cooled ever since.

Reactions: NZ8N
You won't find anything small and portable because it's got to dissipate 3kW of heat - as much as an electric heater puts out.

MFJ do the MFJ-250 Versaload that is rated for 1kW continuous or 2kW PEP which is basically a bunch of resistors bolted in a paint tin which is full of transformer oil.
https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-250

There's nothing to stop you making something similar from a bunch of high powered resistors and a paint tin.

Reactions: walterjn and Tokin
The bigger they get the more they cost.

And the fewer choices exist to choose from. That alone tends to drive up prices.

Used a water-cooled 5kW load years back. Had a blown resistor when I got it. But the Ebay price was stupidly low. Probably because the resistor was blown. The replacement (in 2003) resistor cost 160 bucks, but the bottom line still looked good, including the price of the water pump, hoses, radiator and fan. Worked great until one day the water pump stopped. Sure enough the resistor was toasted.

Been using a Bird oil-cooled ever since.

Im new here hope I'm doing this right. I have a question. I just purchased a used Bird 1kw dummy load. When I look down in the oil reservoir I cant see any oil. I can slosh it around and heat some but I was thinking I should be able to see some oil? Also if its low where can I purchase the correct oil? And one last question. Is the 1kw rating continues 1kw and if so how much pep power should it handle at brief periods?
Thanks

Price is not an issue, and i dont mean portable like the paint can type. I was just wanting one thats a little smaller than the bird high power loads. I dont really want to use a dolly or 4 wheel cart to move the thing around, especially outside to the mobile for testing. Im pretty sure it doesn't exist. I was just hoping in this day and age with all the new technology a smaller dummy load would be out there. Oh well, i guess i will make due with the car sized bird load.

Thats perfect. No price on the website though, and that usually means $$$$$$ lol. I know i said price doesn't really matter but i dont want to spend four thousand dollars either. Hahaha im not rich.

I'm not either. That one cost me $125 including shipping. The 1kw load was removed from it but it still has the 5kw (with fan) side. Keep your eyes open on radio forums that attract the home brew and mad scientist types. I have an oil filled 1kw Bird that I got for about the same price. Be patient and pay attention.

Reactions: NZ8N and Tokin

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated